What does it for you (outside antler size) Poll.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Aside from Antler size, how do you increase the challenge/expeience of hunting each season ?

1. I limit my hunting to public and open hunting ground
10%
2. I hunt an mature/older age class?
19%
3. I hunt a specific animal on purpose
11%
4. I limit my equipment/technology
4%
5. I travel to a new area/state each year
4%
6. Filling multiple tags
2%
7. Hunting numerous/different species each year
No votes
8. Year long involvement - tracking, patterning and more time afield
19%
9. Passing on the tradition to family and friends
13%
10. Providing food for the table- healthier living/eating
16%
11. Other (please leave a comment)
2%

Total votes: 167
DaveT1963
500 Club

What does it for you (outside antler size) Poll.

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Sat May 14, 2016 3:43 am

With the recent posts about how many have killed a B&C buck, limited time and hunting ground, and avoiding burnout - I was curious as to what people do to increase the challenge/experience each year to "keep the fire burning" outside of chasing antler.

I know for me personally, I have hunted multiple species and I travel to a lot of new places each year. In the last decade, I really enjoy being able to use trail cameras to pattern and learn as much as I can about a specific buck and then hunting them on public land.

Anyway, just thought it might be interesting to hear what others are doing, especially if your available hunting ground is limited, and/or where antler potential may be limited. While I think many or all of these may apply to each of us, I limited choices to top three.

seazofcheeze
500 Club

Re: What does it for you (outside antler size) Poll.

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Sat May 14, 2016 5:02 am

I picked hunt older age class, travel to new areas, and year round involvement. I'm 32, and I think I've only taken a really serious interest in hunting the last 5-6 years. So being relatively early on in my career, that impacts my choices. I think 10 years from now from answers will be a lot different, geared more towards sharing the sport, helping others, etc.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Sat May 14, 2016 5:25 am

I voted 2,8&10. I don't exclusively hunt public, more like 80/20 in favor of public so I couldn't say I limit myself totally to public but going to new places and trying to figure out a new place is something I really love. Not only that but I get a sense of adventure scouting the larger areas where I've just got to see what's around the bend or over the next hill.
I just can't get enough of it. Finding the next honey hole keeps me going.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Sat May 14, 2016 5:28 am

For me it's honestly as simple as I just really dig being in the woods and bowhunting. Doesn't take anything more than that for me. Not that I don't try to get on bigger deer or do a little but of all of your options, but I don't need any of them to be content.
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Sat May 14, 2016 5:42 am

At some point in the season it could be all of the choices. I love hunting and fishing. There are many many reasons. If I had to say one main reason that trumps all it is my escape from the reality of everything that stresses me out. It is my church and the place in this world I connect the most to God. I feel the most alive 20 feet up in a tree stand or when a small mouth or steelhead dances on the end of my line. A response from a gobbler will do more for my well being then any pill a doctor could ever prescribe.

As for hunting deer.. 1,9 n 10 is what I voted.

Last edited by oldrank on Sat May 14, 2016 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Sat May 14, 2016 5:47 am

2, 3 and 10 for me. I just flat out love being in the woods. Mowing the lawn the other day thinking..."dang I want to be in the woods".

But duty calls, family calls, projects call...at some point, scouting scales back as spring has come to an end.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat May 14, 2016 5:52 am

I picked 1,5 and 8.

I truly enjoy the challenge of hunting public land no matter what state I am hunting in. Here in WI we have plenty available especially as you get further north. I have no desire to ever limit myself to small acreage private lands because I love the freedom to explore and have large areas to roam. After spending long hours at work that is my idea of relaxing not so much my body but my mind.

Out of state hunts are fun and hope to add to the 6 states I have hunted so far. Nothing like the adventure of hunting someplace totally new to you especially in terrain different than what you are accustomed to hunting. My trips out west were especially fun. Hope to get back out that way in the next few years. Always love a new adventure as these keep me interested and challenge me to be a better hunter.

Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sat May 14, 2016 5:59 am

I also picked 2, 8, and 10.

Like Oldrank the outdoors are my escape. I've said for years that deer hunting is my therapy. I don't worry about bills, work, or ANYTHING when I'm on stand. If there ever comes a day that I can't hunt (other than old age being the reason), I don't know what I'll do. The outdoors have been my passion as long as I can remember.

magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Sat May 14, 2016 6:05 am

I hunt, therefore I am.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Sat May 14, 2016 6:53 am

I hunt more for meat than anything. I'm deaf, so it is a bit more challenging for me than some of you-all.

The biggest adjustment I had to make was mental. After about 35 years of hunting and being surprised to see something legal, I now have a different outlook and expect to see legal deer - and shoot them. This is something that clicked in the past 3 seasons. Before that I tried and tried and did not have any consistent results...a doe or spike here or there but few buck sightings.

The past 3 years I've seen about 25 bucks (had seen maybe 6 in the previous 36/37 seasons) and shot 4. It has given me confidence to trust myself and know that I'm not doing everything wrong. Adding the beast hunting techniques should help even more.
Rubline

Unread postby Rubline » Sat May 14, 2016 7:43 am

IMO there is no bigger challenge than choosing to hunt a specific animal and being able to harvest that animal while self filming your experience.
For new experiences I like hunting out of state, exploring new areas of public land with great hunting companions...
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Sat May 14, 2016 8:02 am

I picked 1, 3 and 10. However I would re-word #3 for myself:

Instead of "I hunt a specific animal on purpose" I would say that I strive to have specific encounters in very specific locations "on purpose" or in other words I get a great sense of accomplishment when I can predict what the deer will do, and where it will come from, i.e. bed based hunting.
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Sat May 14, 2016 8:08 am

Looks like I picked some popular ones. 2 - the challenge of chasing whatever top end animals are around. 8 - for me to be a part of mother nature, year round. 10 - If there weren't meat involved I doubt I would hunt.

Most others I could relate to, these were just the most important to me.
Buckshot20
500 Club

Unread postby Buckshot20 » Sat May 14, 2016 8:14 am

I really dig hunting public stuff and chasing bigger deer. I've got a couple goals in mind that revolve around those two topics however things change. I've got 3 toe headed boys 4,3 and 9 months and things kinda revolve around d them now. And everything outdoors is included in that. My middle one caught his first snapper last week and that fish has grown 6ft and 200lbs and it's all he talks about. The oldest caught his first ball at tee ball last week and he's all jacked up excited. They've been on a couple scouting g trips that involve a lot of doughnuts, oreos and caprisuns and I think I like that more than anything right now.

I've still got my eyes on 1 and 2 but 9 hits pretty hard right now

Hooks1

Unread postby Hooks1 » Sat May 14, 2016 8:19 am

I selected 1, 2, & 8 but wanted to also add 10.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”