Technology and Scouting/Hunting

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BA-IV

Technology and Scouting/Hunting

Unread postby BA-IV » Thu May 12, 2016 11:48 pm

Do y'all use any technology to help with scouting or hunting to verify that you are where you want to be on the ground based on the map off the computer? If so what are you using and what's the cost, what have you used that did or didn't work well?

cbigbear
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/mobilehuntinggear/

Re: Technology and Scouting/Hunting

Unread postby cbigbear » Fri May 13, 2016 12:01 am

Phone with gps kit app. Work covered the cost of the phone & the app was $12. I also have a couple battery backups that probably cost $50 for both.

I can cyber scout on GE or caltopo, markup the maps, & then import the maps to GPS kit. Likewise after a scout I export the maps from the phone back to GE or caltopo. Been using this system for 4yrs works great.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Fri May 13, 2016 12:30 am

Scoutlook hunting app is free. I like it alot. I can mark tree stand sites n its really accurate getting me in to them. It has a good satellite view. I can take notes on areas. Shows wind direction..ect ect. I also us a compass app that was free n a topo app that was free. There is also a deer call app thats free. Im sure there are tons of stuff out there I dont know about too. I also have 2 back up battery packs n the flashlight app. Almost everything I need for a hunting trip is on my phone. 20 yrs ago I had to go to the county clerk to get a paper map. Oh how times have changed. Joining The Beast has greatly improved my knowledge of how to scout efficiently.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
TNstalker

Unread postby TNstalker » Fri May 13, 2016 12:49 am

I bought Gaiapro I really like it. It was 30 something for a year. I have topo with aerial overlays all my wma lands have an overlay to highlight plus public lands. It has several other overlays with it as well. When u create way points u can add notes an pics as well. It is a great clear image for transition in the field too. It was well worth he money.

Hooks1

Unread postby Hooks1 » Fri May 13, 2016 10:33 am

TNstalker wrote:I bought Gaiapro I really like it. It was 30 something for a year. I have topo with aerial overlays all my wma lands have an overlay to highlight plus public lands. It has several other overlays with it as well. When u create way points u can add notes an pics as well. It is a great clear image for transition in the field too. It was well worth he money.

X2
jmaas07
500 Club

Unread postby jmaas07 » Fri May 13, 2016 11:04 am

I use garmin basecamp and my garmin 550t. Make routes based on cyber scouting and load them on the gps, after scouting I delete the route and save my actual track. I mark waypoints along the way and take notes on the gps. Load my scouting results into basecamp when I get home. Cyber scouting I like to use bing, hillmap, and google earth. Hillmap is a good site, you can view a caltopo map next to an aerial

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Fri May 13, 2016 12:23 pm

Xmaps is my gold standard. After that is county GIS and internet research.

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri May 13, 2016 3:41 pm

What I have done for a good number of years now is anytime I'm out scouting my gps is on and tracking my path. Along the way I mark every rub, scrape, bed, deer trail and food source I come across. When I am done for the day I download all that info into my Google Earth account and Garmin Basecamp. Looking at the big picture at the end of the day really helps putting the puzzle together. Between aerials and topos on my OnxMaps it's amazing the patterns that can be picked up and finding it especially helpful in hill country.

When I go on the road scouting away from home I now bring a laptop so I always have access to any maps I may need and can download all my info. It will definately be helpful planning daily hunts this fall. Sure helps to focus and narrow down particular spots instead of wandering around in unproductive areas.

Technology is nice but I gotta admit I miss the days before GPS, smart phones and computers. I use what's available today but thinking back using compass and printed marked up maps brings back so many old memories of adventures during the simpler times.
Bigdaddy-yoyo
500 Club

Unread postby Bigdaddy-yoyo » Fri May 13, 2016 10:19 pm

Dewey wrote:What I have done for a good number of years now is anytime I'm out scouting my gps is on and tracking my path. Along the way I mark every rub, scrape, bed, deer trail and food source I come across. When I am done for the day I download all that info into my Google Earth account and Garmin Basecamp. Looking at the big picture at the end of the day really helps putting the puzzle together. Between aerials and topos on my OnxMaps it's amazing the patterns that can be picked up and finding it especially helpful in hill country.

When I go on the road scouting away from home I now bring a laptop so I always have access to any maps I may need and can download all my info. It will definately be helpful planning daily hunts this fall. Sure helps to focus and narrow down particular spots instead of wandering around in unproductive areas.

Technology is nice but I gotta admit I miss the days before GPS, smart phones and computers. I use what's available today but thinking back using compass and printed marked up maps brings back so many old memories of adventures during the simpler times.

alot said right there/ I think it was way more fun back in the day
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sat May 14, 2016 1:43 am

I miss em too Dewey. I remember before I could drive I would make the long trek by bike to library in downtown Green Bay to make photocopies of plat book pages and USGS quadrangles. You also had to go to the DNR office to the get the lists of owners enrolled with the government programs that allowed access. The detective work was part of the fun but it was definitely time consuming. I get to spend much more time in the field as a result of the new systems.

Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Sun May 15, 2016 1:52 am

Dewey wrote:

I still use a compass and printed map. Not that I'm anti technology, it just seems easier for me. I have a good sense of direction anyway, once I go into an area I pretty much remember where I'm going. I do have Backcountry navigator on my phone but rarely use it, and then only for reference.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Mon May 16, 2016 3:25 am

I'm pretty dependent on my GPS and PC. Use it for marking game trails, paths, sign, etc. Putting it on GE and then putting all the pieces together. I also rely heavily on the GPS for navigation. I do carry a compass and map too (backup to the backup). But the GPS is my go to navigation tool. With a GPS app on my phone as the primary back up. I hunt in flat swamps and it's awfully hard to get/keep bearings and hit your marks in the dark without a GPS. The woods look the same in every direction. A compass will point you in a direction but they don't tell you distance to your mark, bearing to your mark, etc. Using land marks and dead reckoning is hard to do in the dark. I'm usually in pretty deep. I usually hunt a couple of places I've never been before every year too.

Admittedly navigating is something I could be better at. I recognize this and leverage technology to insure I don't get turned around.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”