Boone and Crockett bow kills

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Dewey

Re: Boone and Crockett bow kills

Unread postby Dewey » Sat May 14, 2016 6:19 am

Dewey wrote:
Czabs wrote:No pics, no video, non seen from stand in my bowhunting career. I was after one the last two years but he was shot last year opening day of gun. Grossed in the mid 70s.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

I would have guessed Ocho Cresto made Booner. What did he end up scoring?

Nevermind I just looked it up..............169 4/8 gross and 152 net. For some reason 170 was stuck in my mind.

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sat May 14, 2016 7:10 am

purebowhunting wrote:This is the biggest buck I've had the pleasure of knowingly pursuing, best opportunity came late October. On my way to the property I ran into my dad and he needed a hand, so I helped him out. A hour later I get to my stand to find him and 2 other buck as big or bigger dogging a doe, probably the first doe to come into estress that fall. After a failed stalk I setup and had him pass 1 last time at approx 60 yards. I don't think he'd meet B&C but would have been close.

I think the one you chased with your cousin last year was bigger.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
purebowhunting
500 Club

Unread postby purebowhunting » Sat May 14, 2016 11:56 am

BassBoysLLP wrote:
purebowhunting wrote:This is the biggest buck I've had the pleasure of knowingly pursuing, best opportunity came late October. On my way to the property I ran into my dad and he needed a hand, so I helped him out. A hour later I get to my stand to find him and 2 other buck as big or bigger dogging a doe, probably the first doe to come into estress that fall. After a failed stalk I setup and had him pass 1 last time at approx 60 yards. I don't think he'd meet B&C but would have been close.

I think the one you chased with your cousin last year was bigger.

I think he is, but he's still alive so wasn't going to mention him. ;)
buckeye

Unread postby buckeye » Sun May 15, 2016 1:57 am

From stand I have only ever saw one that would for sure gross over B&C, I doubt he would have netted though because of some non typical points and he was near big enough to make it as a non-typical booner.

The closest I have come to getting one is a 162 gross and a 160 gross.

Instagram.com/buckeye_archer
buckeye

Unread postby buckeye » Sun May 15, 2016 1:58 am

From stand I have only ever saw one that would for sure gross over B&C, I doubt he would have netted though because of some non typical points and he wasn't near big enough to make it as a non-typical booner.

buckeye

Unread postby buckeye » Sun May 15, 2016 6:33 am

buckeye wrote:From stand I have only ever saw one that would for sure gross over B&C, I doubt he would have netted though because of some non typical points and he was near big enough to make it as a non-typical booner.

For clarification this should have said... wasn't near big enough to gross, let alone net as a non typical booner.

whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Sun May 15, 2016 8:39 am

Most guys have a hard enough time judging a 150" buck let alone a 170". Especially in a quick hunting situation or a glimpse of them running away, etc. I know of one for sure booner I saw, (confirmed when it was shot 181") and I've saw several that looked like they could go 160s, 170s, but with non typical points and not being taped I'm not 100%. I would say most bucks I see that are "monster" class referred to as 170s (booner) are usually 150s.

Buckshot20
500 Club

Unread postby Buckshot20 » Sun May 15, 2016 8:52 am

I've seen lots of booners. We are talking about the stripped leg mosquitoes right?

mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Sun May 15, 2016 9:01 am

whitetailassasin wrote:Most guys have a hard enough time judging a [glow=red]150" buck let alone a 170".[/glow] Especially in a quick hunting situation or a glimpse of them running away, etc. I know of one for sure booner I saw, (confirmed when it was shot 181") and I've saw several that looked like they could go 160s, 170s, but with non typical points and not being taped I'm not 100%. I would say most bucks I see that are "monster" class referred to as 170s (booner) are usually 150s.

LOL...a lot guys have a hard time judging a 130, 140. I see very few of them when I hunt the midwest...and then when someone else comes back empty handed and tell me they passed/saw 10 bucks 130 or better in 7 days of hunting...something is off.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun May 15, 2016 9:17 am

Wisconsin Outdoor News is always full of photos sent in by readers that claim to be 150"-160" but look lucky to be 120".

Buck snort

Unread postby Buck snort » Sun May 15, 2016 12:12 pm

I've seen plenty of boomer Red Squirrels during bow season! Lol

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sun May 15, 2016 12:59 pm

Dewey wrote:Wisconsin Outdoor News is always full of photos sent in by readers that claim to be 150"-160" but look lucky to be 120".

On the other hand, many of those bucks tape better than they look. A lot of guys have standardized to the "long arm pose". Not many guys can do scores. Heck, I'm better than most but wrong a ton.

Regardless, if youre not hunting a free range area with big beams you are going to have a hard time seeing Boone on a regular basis. If your an area where mature beams top at 24-25", you are going to be hard pressed to see net boone. You need areas that consistently put out 26"+. You need to seek out these areas if you want to be on boone in a consistent basis.

Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sun May 15, 2016 1:25 pm

Some of those pics on WON are taken while standing above the animal while looking down, which really can make a nice buck look small, so it's hard to get a true gauge on how big the buck is IMO.

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun May 15, 2016 1:45 pm

Jackson Marsh wrote:Some of those pics on WON are taken while standing above the animal while looking down, which really can make a nice buck look small, so it's hard to get a true gauge on how big the buck is IMO.

I agree but also some good angles where you can easily see they are not nearly as big as they say. I remember one in particular that was claimed to be 165" but anyone could see that it was clearly 110"-120 range and likely a 2 year old. Just like every 40" musky is a 50"er.

People like to exaggerate. No big deal but just find it kinda humorous.

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sun May 15, 2016 3:56 pm

Dewey wrote:
Jackson Marsh wrote:Some of those pics on WON are taken while standing above the animal while looking down, which really can make a nice buck look small, so it's hard to get a true gauge on how big the buck is IMO.

I agree but also some good angles where you can easily see they are not nearly as big as they say. I remember one in particular that was claimed to be 165" but anyone could see that it was clearly 110"-120 range and likely a 2 year old. Just like every 40" musky is a 50"er.

People like to exaggerate. No big deal but just find it kinda humorous.

Agreed. Just throwing it out there. You are right there are some guys that talk before tape, but there is a lot of good bone held "standard" and many hunters account it smaller

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”