All day sits, around Rut time?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Buck snort

All day sits, around Rut time?

Unread postby Buck snort » Wed May 11, 2016 5:42 am

How many of you do it? It's not easy to sit from sunrise to sunset, but I started doing it a few years ago, and my mature buck sightings have went way up. I hunt hill country, and I truely believe they would watch me come walking into the woods when I use to go to the woods 4 or 5 hours before dark. Now, I believe I have a fighters chance of getting into my tree without spooking out a target buck. It is a very long day, especially if you do it 10 to 14 days during rut time, but I now embrace the mental challenge of it. I can't wait for pre rut!

Dewey

Re: All day sits, around Rut time?

Unread postby Dewey » Wed May 11, 2016 5:50 am

I do all day sits from Halloween thru the first week of November at the very least depending on temps. My best days for all day sits are consistently Nov 1-Nov 5. Last year was extremely warm during the prime dates so that really complicated things. I still did all day sits on many of those days but deer movement was non-existant.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Wed May 11, 2016 6:01 am

In November you have to be in a tree as much as possible, sometimes I'll change locations mid-day, but I usually stay put if I'm feeling it.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed May 11, 2016 7:07 am

I used to when I was younger. I have so much more fun if I sit from Like 10:00 AM till dark. I started doing this more often about 20 years ago. I haven't even done a 3/4 dayer for quite a few years now. Knocked one down before I had to do the long sitters.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed May 11, 2016 7:09 am

Stanley wrote:I used to when I was younger. I have so much more fun if I sit from Like 10:00 AM till dark. I started doing this more often about 20 years ago. I haven't even done a 3/4 dayer for quite a few years now. Knocked one down before I had to do the long sitters.

Good point Stanley. When I feel burnout setting in I sleep in a day and sit mid morning till dark. Hard to stay alert and focussed after a long string of all dayers.

BA-IV

Unread postby BA-IV » Wed May 11, 2016 7:42 am

I have sat all day in Louisiana a few times and its TOUGH when the deer aren't moving. I have an OOS hunt in Illinois this year and I'm going to hunt based off the topography and plan on doing the all day sit thing for as many days as I can handle.
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Wed May 11, 2016 7:55 am

Yep. I do in KS. Pack a lunch, buddy drops me off at daybreak, picks me up at sunset. Most times, I move to a food source for the evening hunt. But usually stay in the doe bed from sunrise till 2 or 3ish. Its not all that difficult to do in KS...really tough to do in Maine. Its all about the potential. Still though, buck I shot last year was at 7:30 in the morning. All of the mature bucks were before 9am. Have not seen many after that. But next year is a different year.

Still, my best times are always before 10 in the morning and after 4 in the afternoon. But when I am in midwest, there is really nothing else I need to do but hunt. So if my stands are hung and scouting is done, I try to sit all day.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Wed May 11, 2016 8:29 am

I do them first two weeks of November. By far the best time for seeing shooter bucks for me is 10am - noon.

Rutnstrut
500 Club

Unread postby Rutnstrut » Wed May 11, 2016 8:51 am

I do quite a few all day, dark to dark same stand sits every year. I usually start around Halloween and go through the first week and a half of November. I save my best rut spots for this. I hunt smaller properties, and really believe all dayers puts less stress on my stand sites. I have also seen and shot some of my best archery bucks doing this.

Iabow

Unread postby Iabow » Wed May 11, 2016 9:32 am

I use to do all days often. I noticed I was seeing most the bigger bucks between the hours 11 am- 2pm. I started to do like Stanley and do 3/4 days.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Wed May 11, 2016 10:34 am

I've only sat all day twice and it was pretty grueling for me. I know it's worth it, but it's super long day. Haven't done it since I got a smartphone. Now at least I can sit on the Beast. That will help.

I can't imagine missing the first hour of light in the morning. I know different parts of the country see variations in deer movement, but late October and especially early November mornings have treated me well over the years.

My biggest archery whitetail was killed before sunrise.

oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Wed May 11, 2016 10:54 am

I like to sit all day. If the weather is decent I can do it easily in my summit.. Once it gets cold I gotta get down n move. I will hunt all day but hit 2 or 3 spots.

buckeye

Unread postby buckeye » Wed May 11, 2016 11:38 am

I do all day sits most every sit I do in November...

However, up here where I live in flatland, woodlot / small farm country late morning and mid-day is a drag and super slow, the best action is first and last light. The big woods, strip mine, hill country that I hunt a couple hours South by far the best November buck action starts around 10AM. First light can show some action but the real cruising starts closer to 10AM.
Instagram.com/buckeye_archer
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Wed May 11, 2016 12:16 pm

I do a couple all day sits a year. This year, my first year in Ohio hill country, my first all day sit I saw 3 bucks from 11-1. I'm with pretty much everyone else, any day Halloween through Nov 25th is worth an all day sit. It only took seeing a mature buck one time moving mid day in November to convince me I should be out every minute of light I possibly can be. Many guys have said it, but it's worth repeating, it only takes a minute to make your whole season.

mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Wed May 11, 2016 12:39 pm

Hunting during the rut is cheating isn't it? :D :?: :!:

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”