Finding any dead deer?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Buck snort

Finding any dead deer?

Unread postby Buck snort » Sat May 07, 2016 1:03 am

Have any of you guys found any dead deer this Spring, or over the winter? I found two on my land about a month ago, and some of my friends have also found some on their land. It's a little concerning for me, not sure if it was CWD related or not. The two I found looked like they were there for a month or two. I suppose it's possible they were hit by a vehicle and ran off and died later, but ?
Last edited by Buck snort on Sat May 07, 2016 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hawthorne
500 Club

Re: Finding any dead deer?

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sat May 07, 2016 1:13 am

I find some every year. Usually in bedding areas where they go when wounded

[ Post made via Android ] Image
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Sat May 07, 2016 1:40 am

Hawthorne wrote:I find some every year. Usually in bedding areas where they go when wounded

Yep. This is where I found a dead buck this year. Actually kind of keyed me in on the fact about the bedding area because of it.

I really have found very few deer this year. Very easy winter. Spring numbers show it.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Sat May 07, 2016 2:31 am

mainebowhunter wrote:
Hawthorne wrote:I find some every year. Usually in bedding areas where they go when wounded

Yep. This is where I found a dead buck this year. Actually kind of keyed me in on the fact about the bedding area because of it.

I really have found very few deer this year. Very easy winter. Spring numbers show it.

X2 When you find them in their beds pay attention, where one buck goes to die another might use as a bedding location in future years. Even old bones can mean something.

Found a lot of dead deer this spring, a lot more bucks than usual. Two mature bucks I knew well. Several good up and coming bucks I had hopes for. Another big shed buck I am worried who he might be.
rutnbuck

Unread postby rutnbuck » Sat May 07, 2016 2:51 am

Found a 140 inch 11 point I passed during the rut while shed hunting. The whole skeleton was together. Looks like possibly was shot during the gun season.

mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Sat May 07, 2016 3:03 am

JoeRE wrote:
mainebowhunter wrote:

X2 When you find them in their beds pay attention, where one buck goes to die another might use as a bedding location in future years. Even old bones can mean something.

Found a lot of dead deer this spring, a lot more bucks than usual. Two mature bucks I knew well. Several good up and coming bucks I had hopes for. Another big shed buck I am worried who he might be.

Interesting...all because of a dead buck...
I found 25+ beds in and around where he bedded. Turned out to be a major bedding area in a spot I had overlooked. EVERYTHING started to make sense once I found the rest of the beds. All of the travel around the area that I had observed...all made sense.
Mibowfreak
500 Club

Unread postby Mibowfreak » Sat May 07, 2016 5:03 am

I found 8 dead deer this post season. 5 dead bucks, but all were 1.5 year olds. All of them were likely shot and never recovered. Finding dead deer in some areas can give you great insight of bedding areas where they feel secure.
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Sat May 07, 2016 5:10 am

I found 3 dead bucks and a few dead does. As mentioned above, dead bucks can give great insight into bedding. 2 of the 3 I found dead were in buck beds. The third one looked like it died shortly after being shot but was never recovered

PeteJ

Unread postby PeteJ » Sat May 07, 2016 12:48 pm

Found 4 dead 8 pt. bucks from November thru March.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Sun May 08, 2016 2:21 am

Another funny thing about dead deer....I find most of them on the same properties year after year. Not talking about specific bedding now, but I see some properties always have dead deer while others rarely do. Goes to show the quality of hunters that hunt around those areas. Terrains the same, cover's pretty much the same, but a big difference in number of dead deer. Only takes a few extra slob hunters in an area every year to loose a lot more deer.

I am going to start walking through a couple of the worst areas right after 1st shotgun season, see if I can find some of the fresh kills, call the warden and get salvage tags, might be able to save some of the meat.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”