question about bedding

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Matt6506

question about bedding

Unread postby Matt6506 » Fri May 06, 2016 4:27 pm

I was out turkey hunting today, in a new area which is what I would consider a mix of hill country and big woods. Any way I found an area on a side hill that has several buck beds ( founds lots of rubs and big tracks) kind of clustered together I would say about 8 beds in an 150 to 200 yard stretch,the area is really thick and hard to get to. My first thought is its one buck just moving for different wind directions, however I found multiple sets of tracks from different deer. Can it be possible that different bucks are using beds that close together?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

“Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.”
- Fred Bear
Outdoor814
500 Club

Re: question about bedding

Unread postby Outdoor814 » Fri May 06, 2016 9:21 pm

I would thinks so. I have also scouted sections of swamp transitions that produced several buck beds in one general area. My guess is there probably young bucks. Mature bucks tend to stay away from other deer IMO.

I would still keep an eye on that location, maybe hang a camera if you own one and set it up for a bit to see what's in the area.

Joe™
msailor

Unread postby msailor » Fri May 06, 2016 11:49 pm

From what I've gleaned from bed scouting and hunting, mature buck beds can and are used by a number of different deer...not only bucks either. Deer aren't territorial but there is a hierarchy, so it certainly is possible other bucks bed on the fringe of the area you are describing. Make sure you are not mistaking a doe bedroom for a buck bedroom too. I'm always leery of situations such as you've described. A lot of times these areas look like buck bedding but they're actually prime doe bedding area bucks have terrorized during the rut; put the whole picture together.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Fri May 06, 2016 11:59 pm

Yes I would say there are multiple bucks using it. Even if there is a big buck using it that wants to remain solitary, if the bedding is 200 yards long there is plenty of opportunity for other bucks to lay down in there without him even knowing.

Even if he lays in the middle there is 100 yards of bedding on each side. I don't find very many bedding areas that have single or only a couple beds. There is usually competition and satellite bedding.

No two situations are the same, but I typically find a "buffer" of doe or satellite bucks around the best bedding areas. Not only does the big buck get the safest bed, but he's got other deer to help alert him of danger.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Sat May 07, 2016 12:04 am

Lots of hill country buck bedding locations are spread out like that, and used by whatever bucks are in the area. The top dog gets what he thinks is the best bed. Also keep in mind bucks are beginning to form bachelor groups already so a person will see more of that now. I have seen several groups of bucks while turkey hunting.

Interesting that it is being used right now, in the mid/late spring. Maybe you live way north. I don't see fall bedding and spring bedding (after green up - before green-up its often similar) overlap much but if you are finding rubs around the beds, sounds like a spot to target this fall. Good luck.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sat May 07, 2016 12:15 am

msailor wrote:From what I've gleaned from bed scouting and hunting, mature buck beds can and are used by a number of different deer...not only bucks either. Deer aren't territorial but there is a hierarchy, so it certainly is possible other bucks bed on the fringe of the area you are describing. Make sure you are not mistaking a doe bedroom for a buck bedroom too. I'm always leery of situations such as you've described. A lot of times these areas look like buck bedding but they're actually prime doe bedding area bucks have terrorized during the rut; put the whole picture together.

^^^ TRUTH

Are the rubs IN the beds? Or are there random rubs on the trails? Regardless if it's buck or doe bedding, you know it's a solid area for rut.

Matt6506

Unread postby Matt6506 » Sat May 07, 2016 1:20 am

JoeRE wrote:Lots of hill country buck bedding locations are spread out like that, and used by whatever bucks are in the area. The top dog gets what he thinks is the best bed. Also keep in mind bucks are beginning to form bachelor groups already so a person will see more of that now. I have seen several groups of bucks while turkey hunting.

Interesting that it is being used right now, in the mid/late spring. Maybe you live way north. I don't see fall bedding and spring bedding (after green up - before green-up its often similar) overlap much but if you are finding rubs around the beds, sounds like a spot to target this fall. Good luck.

The spot is in southeastern Ohio, access is going to be tough, might be one of those rainy day only with higher winds spots.

“Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.”
- Fred Bear
Matt6506

Unread postby Matt6506 » Sat May 07, 2016 1:27 am

Lockdown wrote:
msailor wrote:From what I've gleaned from bed scouting and hunting, mature buck beds can and are used by a number of different deer...not only bucks either. Deer aren't territorial but there is a hierarchy, so it certainly is possible other bucks bed on the fringe of the area you are describing. Make sure you are not mistaking a doe bedroom for a buck bedroom too. I'm always leery of situations such as you've described. A lot of times these areas look like buck bedding but they're actually prime doe bedding area bucks have terrorized during the rut; put the whole picture together.

^^^ TRUTH

Are the rubs IN the beds? Or are there random rubs on the trails? Regardless if it's buck or doe bedding, you know it's a solid area for rut.

I found both rubs in beds and along trails in and out. I found some rubs from several years ago that were on trees I could climb with my climber. I'm excited about the spot, I may look at cutting a trail up a cut that's just adjacent to the area. Which brings up my next question, would it be better to access this area from below ( wind would be in my favor) or try to access with the wind blowing past the beds and come from above?

- Fred Bear
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Sat May 07, 2016 2:07 am

I have seen it so many different ways this spring. From single big beds all by themselves, to big beds with satellite beds around them. I have seen bedding areas with beds in them that are nearly .25 mile square. Found beds that look to be wind specific overlooking a hill. Other beds in the fairly open with out a tree around them. Other beds tucked up next to a group of bushes or small softwoods. Found beds in the middle of alder thickets. Found beds around water. Found beds I know a buck is using with very little buck sign. Found other bedding areas hammered with buck sign. Some areas I KNOW bucks are bedding in because I have seen the bucks, trail cammed them, and killed them.

I track all of it. Record all of it. But in order to really put it all together, its going to take observation with trail cams or with binoculars. Because certain areas, I know had 2.5yr old bucks bedding in them this past year. This year, the 3.5 may or may not bed the same spots.

I find a lot more bedding areas than I do just single well worn beds. Where I typically find one bed, I find multiple beds. JoeRE brings up good point. How many bedding areas look like buck bedding areas, when in reality they are doe beds that bucks have rubbed up during the rut? There are no hard and fast rules. And we are not right 100% of the time.

The great thing is with preseason scouting? You get to prove whether its buck bedding or doe bedding come next season.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sat May 07, 2016 2:10 am

Matt6506 wrote:
Lockdown wrote:

^^^ TRUTH

I found both rubs in beds and along trails in and out. I found some rubs from several years ago that were on trees I could climb with my climber. I'm excited about the spot, I may look at cutting a trail up a cut that's just adjacent to the area. Which brings up my next question, would it be better to access this area from below ( wind would be in my favor) or try to access with the wind blowing past the beds and come from above?

Sounds like good buck bedding to me. As far as access, that's a little over my head... I'd be guessing. I'll let one if the hill country boys answer that.

JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Sat May 07, 2016 2:22 am

Matt6506 wrote:
Lockdown wrote:

^^^ TRUTH

Sounds like you have a good idea on direction of travel. I like to come in from below as long as the hills are big enough that I can't be seen, usually have to be 200 foot or more around here to do that. Otherwise you basically have to come in from above. From past conversations, seems like most other hunters prefer to come in from above as a rule but I really like coming in from below as long as the hills are big enough and cover is thick enough, that's the deciding factor for me. Then go right up the cut to the tree you plan on setting in, completely hidden from everything. As long as I am not passing right below the beds, haven't found rising thermals to cause problems.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Sat May 07, 2016 3:51 am

Entering from below is usually a disaster unless it is carefully planned, eyesight and rising thermals almost always give you away. Do not enter from just above the beds either, enter from the side at the elevation you are going to hunt with the wind quartering in your favor.

No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Matt6506

Unread postby Matt6506 » Sat May 07, 2016 9:04 am

JoeRE wrote:
Matt6506 wrote:
Lockdown wrote:

^^^ TRUTH

Sounds like you have a good idea on direction of travel. I like to come in from below as long as the hills are big enough that I can't be seen, usually have to be 200 foot or more around here to do that. Otherwise you basically have to come in from above. From past conversations, seems like most other hunters prefer to come in from above as a rule but I really like coming in from below as long as the hills are big enough and cover is thick enough, that's the deciding factor for me. Then go right up the cut to the tree you plan on setting in, completely hidden from everything. As long as I am not passing right below the beds, haven't found rising thermals to cause problems.

Its going to be trial and error like any other setup

- Fred Bear

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”