Hang On or Climber?? What Brand??

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BA-IV

Hang On or Climber?? What Brand??

Unread postby BA-IV » Fri May 06, 2016 2:13 pm

The Beast Style hunting tactics...which one serves this technique best?

Personally I want to be super mobile and have always hunted climbers and they have always limited me to certain trees, BUT I'm thinking of switching to a hang on and sticks to really get exactly where I want. Just looking for a few opinions and this is all public so it's coming in and going out with every hunt!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Jackson Marsh

Re: Hang On or Climber?? What Brand??

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Fri May 06, 2016 2:28 pm

I prefer a hang on and sticks, a little more weight than a climber usually, but much more versitle.

A lot of us use Lone Wolf or XOP. If money is tight just get whatever you can afford and silence it as much as possible.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
BA-IV

Unread postby BA-IV » Fri May 06, 2016 2:43 pm

I was honestly within a day of purchasing the XOP climbing stand, but now I'm looking at either the XOP or Hawk climbing sticks and a Millenium M100 hang on to help get through the all day sits.

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Fri May 06, 2016 11:15 pm

Jackson Marsh wrote:I prefer a hang on and sticks, a little more weight than a climber usually, but much more versitle.

A lot of us use Lone Wolf or XOP. If money is tight just get whatever you can afford and silence it as much as possible.

X2. I wouldnt deviate from a cast stand. The milleniums are comfortable, but I've had the cold weather noise cost me an oport unity or two. You may also want to consider a sling rather than traditional treestand options.

msailor

Unread postby msailor » Fri May 06, 2016 11:34 pm

BassBoysLLP wrote:
Jackson Marsh wrote:I prefer a hang on and sticks, a little more weight than a climber usually, but much more versitle.

X2. I wouldnt deviate from a cast stand. The milleniums are comfortable, but I've had the cold weather noise cost me an oport unity or two. You may also want to consider a sling rather than traditional treestand options.

Does anyone still make a sling any more?
jmaas07
500 Club

Unread postby jmaas07 » Sat May 07, 2016 12:55 am

lone wolf or xop stand and sticks. Buy some stealth strips from stealth outdoors (search stealth strips on here, uncle Lou sells them)

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sat May 07, 2016 1:15 am

msailor wrote:
BassBoysLLP wrote:

Only commercial hunting saddle still in production is New Tribe. A lot of guys are going with DIY options or modifying sit drags to meet their needs.

Sam Ubl
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider

Unread postby Sam Ubl » Sat May 07, 2016 1:53 am

Hang On is my preferred choice. The climber is a little noisy at times, pending the type of bark on the tree, but more than anything, the trees I'm usually climbing into aren't condusive to a verticle ascension. I used to hate having to pick my tree based on which one would allow me to get elevated with the climber. With my Lone Wolf and sticks, I climb literally ANY kind of tree with ease, even the little ones so thin they'll shake if you fart.
Chase Nation | Reality Hunting TV | http://www.chasenation.tv
Watch Chase Nation on Carbon TV: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider
Huntmore | http://www.huntmore.io/
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Sat May 07, 2016 1:54 am

I came from a Summit Viper climber, and changed for the ability to climb almost any tree. I've got a Hawk Helium XL And a set of Leverage sticks. The stand high quality and super comfortable & only 12lbs. I like these sticks because they are very light (7.5lbs per set) and have double steps.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Sat May 07, 2016 2:09 am

One more vote for sticks and hang-on. I've killed deer out of a climber, but when you factor in tree selection and noise, sticks and a hang-on are much better option. Honestly, with a little practice, I don't really lose any time getting set-up between the two either. Also think by and large sticks and hang-ons are safer. I don't know many people who have hunted out of a climber much who haven't found themselves awkwardly humping a tree trunk in the dark figuring out how they are going to get down with just the top of the stand, or get the bottom part pulled back up to them because the tether was just a little bit too long...Also much easier if you drop something out of the stand to quickly go up and down your sticks instead of noisily descend and reclimb. Just some personal experiences...
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sat May 07, 2016 2:27 am

burkhart wrote:
BassBoysLLP wrote:
msailor wrote:
BassBoysLLP wrote:

Only commercial hunting saddle still in production is New Tribe. A lot of guys are going with DIY options or modifying sit drags to meet their needs.

Is nt Guidos Web still being made????

You are correct and I love my web!

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat May 07, 2016 2:29 am

You can't beat a hang on and sticks for versatility. You can get into pretty much any tree so you are usually in the right spot instead of being limited to particular trees where you can use a climber. I still use a climber at times to save weight when I know the exact tree I want to sit in.

I prefer Lone Wolf products. Can't beat the quality so they are well worth the extra money.

BA-IV

Unread postby BA-IV » Sat May 07, 2016 2:59 am

Absolutely no experience with a web sling seat...what are some benefits or comparisons when talking all day sits, comfort level, any complications with em...I've watched a few videos and it seems to be lots of parts to it and I'm more of a hands on learner.

PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Sat May 07, 2016 3:41 am

Quidos web is the most comfortable option on the market and I have sat in everything from summits to millenniums to tree lounge. But I did not enjoy the web in hot weather.

After getting an assault and climbing sticks the usage rate on all my other options has fallen off a cliff.

No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
BA-IV

Unread postby BA-IV » Sat May 07, 2016 4:04 am

PK_ wrote:Quidos web is the most comfortable option on the market and I have sat in everything from summits to millenniums to tree lounge. But I did not enjoy the web in hot weather.

After getting an assault and climbing sticks the usage rate on all my other options has fallen off a cliff.

What makes the assault so much more comfortable??

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”