Spring scouting done?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mainebowhunter
500 Club

Spring scouting done?

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Tue May 03, 2016 1:31 pm

Is everyone nearing the end of their spring scouting? You guys in the midwest must be hitting green up? We still have a couple more weeks before total green up. Been an awesome spring for scouting here. I have put a TON of time in and a LOT of miles on. And all I can say is I cannot wait till fall. I typically spend a bunch of time every year in the woods...but took it to a different level this spring. Just been a lot of fun. Learned a lot of new areas...and solved some problems with properties that I have hunted for awhile. Ended up with more ground than I can hunt in a season. Should allow me to really be aggressive in areas that I really don't care so much about.

Be a lot of fun to be around the beast this coming fall! Be great to follow along with everyone, seeing how all of this stuff unfolds.

seazofcheeze
500 Club

Re: Spring scouting done?

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Tue May 03, 2016 1:35 pm

I finished up 2 or 3 weekends ago in MI. Things were getting green and then I had to go to Massachusetts for a week for work. I got about 80% of what I was hoping to do accomplished and my list was fairly ambitious, so I am happy with that. Feeling more confident than ever headed into 2016.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Tue May 03, 2016 1:40 pm

I still have some marsh spots to hit, and a few hill spots to hit.
isitseasonyet?
500 Club

Unread postby isitseasonyet? » Tue May 03, 2016 2:11 pm

I got in a bunch more than I ever have before, I don't think I'll ever be "done" but I think I'm much better off than previous years. I'm going to start shifting my focus toward bettering the property I'm lucky enough to own, setting stands and planting food plots and such to make it easier for my family members who don't take it as serious as I do.

jmaas07
500 Club

Unread postby jmaas07 » Tue May 03, 2016 2:15 pm

I finished a couple weeks ago in Michigan as well. Attended 2 workshops and scouted more and more effectively than ever this winter/spring. Excited and confident heading into the season.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
cedarsavage
500 Club
Facebook: No facebook

Unread postby cedarsavage » Tue May 03, 2016 2:16 pm

I got quite a bit left. I moved to a new area a couple weeks ago so I'm a little behind because of that.

Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Tue May 03, 2016 2:25 pm

I will be scouting the rest of spring and all summer. I start staying out of the woods labor day our opener is Oct 1. Has worked good for me in the past

headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Tue May 03, 2016 2:34 pm

Still have a few spots I need to hit but the leaves are just starting to bud up here so plenty of time yet.
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Tue May 03, 2016 2:37 pm

I've still got another week or two before it gets too miserable. I just got my wish and was able to change shifts at work. I just started first shift (7a-3:30p). Im going to need more spots in the few places closest to work. I think I will hunt most afternoons and would like to have too many good spots vs. not enough.

Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Tue May 03, 2016 2:56 pm

I've got a couple spots to hit yet. Both are private pieces I have archery permission for. In the farm grove I have a couple new sets to trim, trees are already selected. Might do some hinge cutting if the landowner is ok with it.

On my other private piece, I gained permission for a couple small fingers (details in my journal) that were previously off limits. Going to try and figure them out and set up accordingly. They'll be tricky.

All in all for the spring I accomplished far more than I expected due to being laid off for so long.

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue May 03, 2016 4:16 pm

Spring is about done then heading into summer scouting. It never ends. ;)

TNstalker

Unread postby TNstalker » Tue May 03, 2016 10:08 pm

I wish! Got all but one property done flooding kept me from it. An want get it this spring 11000 plus ac an I have 70 poi to check out that don't include the swamps that I'm trying to buy a canoe to get into lol. An our third baby is due any day so it will have to wait till fall to scout or jump in blind on some spots. But I did have a pretty good spring found more than enough places to hunt!

mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Tue May 03, 2016 11:15 pm

Dewey wrote:Spring is about done then heading into summer scouting. It never ends. ;)

No. It never ends. The next stage for me is to check apple trees and acorns to see what trees are going to produce. Trailcams will go out a bit earlier this year. Then there will be lot of observation outings in August with my binos trying to locate some of the deer I believe are around.

I was in the woods yesterday for a couple hours in another spot that has given me problems over the past few seasons. My buddy cammed it last year. Good buck shows up at night but never during daylight. Found bunch of beds and rubs where I believe he is spending time. Quite a ways from the acorns and apples. Its one of those spots I don't much care about this season. So if I burn it out this year, no biggie. I plan on taking some risks, taking some chances. Should be fun.
whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Tue May 03, 2016 11:58 pm

Hawthorne wrote:I will be scouting the rest of spring and all summer. I start staying out of the woods labor day our opener is Oct 1. Has worked good for me in the past

I will scout into June, as far as bedding. But will then stick to ag fields and food sources to keep tabs on mature bucks I'm after until season hits.

blizzardhunter
500 Club

Unread postby blizzardhunter » Wed May 04, 2016 2:20 am

I didn't get as much done as I wanted but the weather has forced me out of the woods
In KY we have been to full foliage for a couple weeks and Saturday they're calling for a high of 86. Time to start shooting the bow.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”