6 Rules to Success

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mainebowhunter
500 Club

Re: 6 Rules to Success

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:23 pm

Good post!

What is it they say... "love what you do and you will never work another day in your life." I honestly think that applies to hunting as well. We all do it because we love it. I would say I enjoy scouting probably as much or more than I enjoy the hunt. The hunt only proves what I found or did not find when I was scouting.

Most guys who are successful love to scout, love to be in the woods. Its like reading a book every rub, every bed, every ground scrape tells a story, connects a piece of the puzzle. It always leaves me scratching my head when guys complain about the ground they have to hunt but when the off season hits, crickets. No time. But when the season comes, do it all over again.

Another "rule" I try to live by. The Lord God in heaven has blessed me with health and the ability to be able to walk, see and hear. All these things are gifts that HE has allowed me to experience in my short time on this earth. I try to remember to thank HIM on a regular basis, the giver of all good things. It really helps to keep the perspective on things.

DeerDylan
500 Club

Unread postby DeerDylan » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:20 pm

A great thread/video to wake up and look at. Good stuff guys!

I can relate to what Czabs is saying. I'm not sure how to explain it but if it really wasn't fun to me I wouldn't do it.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:43 pm

Czabs wrote:
You bring up some good points here. For me it's really hard to explain, I hate doing a lot of the "hard work" but when it's done and I get results from the hard work I enjoy it? I'm confused. Haha. Love-hate relationship I guess.

Lockdown spot on post with the rest of the content!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Yea there are a lot of things I hate as part of hunting and prep as well...I hate being attached by clouds of mosquitoes and sweat bees, I hate when my legs feel like rubber and my lungs burn after going over another big hill, I hate getting torn to bits in multi-floral rose patches and getting skewered by honey locust thorns (they have some kind of toxin on them that doubles the pain), and when I lay my finger open to the bone while clumsily using my leatherman a mile back in like I did a few years ago...but I accept all that as just minor stuff in the big picture toward my goals, and looking back I still enjoy way more. Finding buck sign, putting pieces together while scouting, seeing the first sprig of wildflower in the woods in the spring, finding morels, shed antlers, hearing turkeys gobble, hearing the trickle of melting snow and just feeling the sun on my face in the woods and smelling the forest wake up from winter around me. All that I love just in the spring. Maybe that is the thing, some people get hung up on those minor issues and decide they are going to be miserable and others can stay focused beyond them.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:58 pm

Arnold knows how to break rules. Shot up steroids

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:56 am

JoeRE wrote:
Czabs wrote:
You bring up some good points here. For me it's really hard to explain, I hate doing a lot of the "hard work" but when it's done and I get results from the hard work I enjoy it? I'm confused. Haha. Love-hate relationship I guess.

Yea there are a lot of things I hate as part of hunting and prep as well...I hate being attached by clouds of mosquitoes and sweat bees, I hate when my legs feel like rubber and my lungs burn after going over another big hill, I hate getting torn to bits in multi-floral rose patches and getting skewered by honey locust thorns (they have some kind of toxin on them that doubles the pain), and when I lay my finger open to the bone while clumsily using my leatherman a mile back in like I did a few years ago...but I accept all that as just minor stuff in the big picture toward my goals, and looking back I still enjoy way more. Finding buck sign, putting pieces together while scouting, seeing the first sprig of wildflower in the woods in the spring, finding morels, shed antlers, hearing turkeys gobble, hearing the trickle of melting snow and just feeling the sun on my face in the woods and smelling the forest wake up from winter around me. All that I love just in the spring. Maybe that is the thing, some people get hung up on those minor issues and decide they are going to be miserable and others can stay focused beyond them.

"No pain, no gain"

We've all heard that one and it's certainly true. I've got a buckthorn sliver stuck in one of my hands, and what is turning into a nice "3 tooth" scar on my right knee from my hand saw.

I keep going back because it is my therapy. I live for those frosty fall sunrises!

I watched the video 3 times yesterday and I'm probably going to watch it again today.

JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:28 am

Yea I just realized the other day - both my hands are covered with scars and most of them are hunting related. :lol:

Hawthorne wrote:Arnold knows how to break rules. Shot up steroids

That is true...he definitely took advantage there. However I still think its great advice, show me a perfect person and I will show you a fairy-tail. The flesh is weak, as they say. Those rules are worth writing on the back of a bow limb. I don't think of those rules as "his"...just great advice plain and simple.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:00 am

For those days when it seems hard....

[bbvideo=425,350]https://youtu.be/mgmVOuLgFB0[/bbvideo]

Last edited by DaveT1963 on Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:01 am, edited 3 times in total.
cameron

Unread postby cameron » Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:01 am

Great post!

Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:34 am

Did'nt watch the video but it looks like rocky balboa

tbunao
500 Club

Unread postby tbunao » Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:58 am

Great post!

If you fail, never give up because F.A.I.L. means
"First Attempt In Learning"
End is not the end. In fact E.N.D. means
"Effort Never Dies"
If you get No as an answer remember N.O. means
"Next Opportunity"

Positive thinking is something I try to practice daily as well as keep those who share the same closest

magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:15 am

Czabs wrote:
I don't even know how many times I told myself "I'M NEVER DOING THAT AGAIN" but I find myself a couple days later itching to get out of work to go do it again.

That's funny. I've done the same thing too many times. Looking back at a lifetime of adventures I remember 2 types. The ones where everything went perfect and I had great success and the ones that were a total disaster. Over time both are equally the BEST memories.
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:00 am

Don't forget the part where he worked out all the time like an animal. I'm not condoning shortcuts, but it's hard to argue with that kind of drive.

cedarsavage
500 Club
Facebook: No facebook

Unread postby cedarsavage » Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:08 pm

seazofcheeze wrote:

Don't forget the part where he worked out all the time like an animal. I'm not condoning shortcuts, but it's hard to argue with that kind of drive.

Yeah he skipped his dad's funeral to train

Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Sun May 01, 2016 2:22 am

Czabs wrote:
JoeRE wrote:Those rules are ones to live by Lockdown, thanks for posting.

One thing I will add about fun - most really successful people - in hunting, work careers, or whatever - seems to be having fun by working their but off. If you are not having fun working hard, chances are you will get sick of it and quit. I sure would - there are many things in my life I do a bare minimum of because I don't find them the slightest bit fun. Bowhunting is definitely not one of them.... :lol:

I have always thought that those two things going hand in hand was interesting. What does a person catch on to first - a willingness to work hard or the ability to enjoy that work? Can you just learn to like hard work, or is it basically in a person's DNA and that means a good chunk of the population is screwed?

I'm in the same boat as you. It's more about a drive for me than it is fun... and if the results aren't coming it becomes a real struggle. The last couple years have not been fun at all for me, deer population is decimated so results are hard to come by and as has been the fun. But I keep going just as much!!!

Make It Happen
Gib Reed

Unread postby Gib Reed » Sun May 01, 2016 4:42 am

cedarsavage wrote:
seazofcheeze wrote:

Yeah he skipped his dad's funeral to train

His dad also use to repeatedly beat him with a belt in fear that he was a homosexual.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”