Hill Country-Getting your deer out

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Whitetailhunter63

Re: Hill Country-Getting your deer out

Unread postby Whitetailhunter63 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:55 am

by far my favorite thing to get deer out is those really cheap, super thin plastic snow sleds. The kind you can roll up. the whole deer wont usually fit on it but the majority of the mass does. I'd honestly be shocked if someone found something that glides easier across the dry ground, obviously they were excellent in snow too

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:25 am

Whitetailhunter63 wrote:by far my favorite thing to get deer out is those really cheap, super thin plastic snow sleds. The kind you can roll up. the whole deer wont usually fit on it but the majority of the mass does. I'd honestly be shocked if someone found something that glides easier across the dry ground, obviously they were excellent in snow too

I have one similar designed for deer called a Trophy Sled. Has ratchet ropes to secure the deer inside like a big burrito. Same principle and slides very easy.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:52 am

I am always puzzled when guys say they won't hunt some where cause of the difficulty in getting a buck out, or they stress on it... Not pointing anybody out, just kind of thought about this while reading the title to this thread... I never really think about the difficulty. Never worry about up hill, across silt filled bogs, or thru heck and high water... It don't even really cross my mind till the buck is down. Then I just think, whats the best way to get him out of here... Sometimes I call for help. Sometimes I go back for a sled or cart... And sometimes you just grab an antler and start pulling. Eventually, I always made it to the truck.

For me, the number 1 goal is to make the kill. So where ever that takes me, I go. Sorry if that went off topic a little... But my point was, getting him out is the least of your worries. You can pull him by the antlers, pull him in a sled, boat him down a river, cut him up in the woods, or a host of other things... All will work. Some may take longer than others, but in the end, it really don't matter which you choose... What matters most, and should take up the most of your prep time should be how your going to beat the odds and kill the beast. Thats what really matters... Trust me, you kill him, and some how you will get him to the truck.

I remember when Andraes daughter shot her 1st buck... A big 150 class 8 pointer back in a nasty swamp. He was having a heck of a time finding it and he called me and asked if I would help look. We searched that swamp high and low with no sign of the buck. We finally gave up after a whole day in there. We were walking back to the trucks and had to go around a big deep pond with a small island in the middle. As we walked past something told me to check out the island and as I stared I saw a couple tines sticking out of the grass and made out the faint image of a buck... I pointed and shouted theres the buck! Andrae did not believe me at 1st, he did not think what we were seeing was a dead deer... When he finally came to the conclusion I was right, he started stressing and saying "what are we going to do? How we going to get that buck? Then he said, we could drive to his place (about 50 miles away) and get a boat, carry it thru the swamp to the pond, and get the buck out and then carry the boat out, and... And well, I was only half listening as I stripped down to my undies. Andrae looked at me in shock and said "its November man! that water is freezing cold!, I just smiled and dived in and swam out to the island and got the buck and swam it back... You just do what you gotta do. I did not want to take another 4 hours to get that buck out.

Ok... Done witrh my crazy rant. Carry on. :lol:
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:58 am

I hear what your saying Dan and usually don't worry about it either. This time I'm only planning ahead only because of hunting solo far away from home so it's much different circumstances.

matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:44 pm

I don't worry about how I'm going to get a big buck out of the woods. I do worry about how I'm going to get a doe or smaller buck out.

cbigbear
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/mobilehuntinggear/

Unread postby cbigbear » Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:40 am

This is pretty interesting. I wonder how good flipping the seat up for a meat shelf works?

I've always put the meat in an Alice pack then put the stand ontop. That puts the stand way out there & surly isn't comfortable, but still doable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9StK9QuFy4
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:01 am

That's actually a real good idea especially with a Molle harness on the stand.

cbigbear

Unread postby cbigbear » Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:05 am

Dewey wrote:That's actually a real good idea especially with a Molle harness on the stand.

You might want to shot Jason an email & see how this worked for him. I've seen recently he has went back to a frame pack system.

His website is - http://tbwpodcast.com/
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:42 am

dan wrote:I am always puzzled when guys say they won't hunt some where cause of the difficulty in getting a buck out, or they stress on it... Not pointing anybody out, just kind of thought about this while reading the title to this thread... I never really think about the difficulty. Never worry about up hill, across silt filled bogs, or thru heck and high water... It don't even really cross my mind till the buck is down. Then I just think, whats the best way to get him out of here... Sometimes I call for help. Sometimes I go back for a sled or cart... And sometimes you just grab an antler and start pulling. Eventually, I always made it to the truck.

For me, the number 1 goal is to make the kill. So where ever that takes me, I go. Sorry if that went off topic a little... But my point was, getting him out is the least of your worries. You can pull him by the antlers, pull him in a sled, boat him down a river, cut him up in the woods, or a host of other things... All will work. Some may take longer than others, but in the end, it really don't matter which you choose... What matters most, and should take up the most of your prep time should be how your going to beat the odds and kill the beast. Thats what really matters... Trust me, you kill him, and some how you will get him to the truck.

I remember when Andraes daughter shot her 1st buck... A big 150 class 8 pointer back in a nasty swamp. He was having a heck of a time finding it and he called me and asked if I would help look. We searched that swamp high and low with no sign of the buck. We finally gave up after a whole day in there. We were walking back to the trucks and had to go around a big deep pond with a small island in the middle. As we walked past something told me to check out the island and as I stared I saw a couple tines sticking out of the grass and made out the faint image of a buck... I pointed and shouted theres the buck! Andrae did not believe me at 1st, he did not think what we were seeing was a dead deer... When he finally came to the conclusion I was right, he started stressing and saying "what are we going to do? How we going to get that buck? Then he said, we could drive to his place (about 50 miles away) and get a boat, carry it thru the swamp to the pond, and get the buck out and then carry the boat out, and... And well, I was only half listening as I stripped down to my undies. Andrae looked at me in shock and said "its November man! that water is freezing cold!, I just smiled and dived in and swam out to the island and got the buck and swam it back... You just do what you gotta do. I did not want to take another 4 hours to get that buck out.

Great point! I think if your worried about getting a deer out before you shoot it could cause buck fever. Don't get me wrong, some of the swamps I scouted last winter spring it crossed my mind. I think what Dan is saying is a good mentality to have.

cbigbear

Unread postby cbigbear » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:06 am

I think what Dewey is doing is a solid plan as well. For me having a plan of retrieval gives me the confidence to hunt aware anytime. Take for instance my hunting situation, 3 hours from home, poor cell service, refuge closes 2 hrs after sunset, & early season night time temps easily reach 75-80 degrees. Without a solid plan your likely to have spoiled meat or a ticket from the refuge manager!!!

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:19 pm

cbigbear wrote:I think what Dewey is doing is a solid plan as well. For me having a plan of retrieval gives me the confidence to hunt aware anytime. Take for instance my hunting situation, 3 hours from home, poor cell service, refuge closes 2 hrs after sunset, & early season night time temps easily reach 75-80 degrees. Without a solid plan your likely to have spoiled meat or a ticket from the refuge manager!!!

That's kinda where I'm at. I like to have a plan so when the time comes I have the tools available if I need them. Around home if I get in a bind I make a few phone calls and it's a done deal with help on the way or if I don't have what I need I just run home and get it. Much different when your hunting out of state solo and don't have anybody to call if you need help.

Believe me if a big buck walks in front of me the last thing I will be thinking is how the heck am I gonna get him out. I WILL be thinking about placing my arrow in his vitals and THEN I will get to work getting him out with a plan I thought out ahead of time. Buck fever won't even figure into the equation. :lol:

Rutnstrut
500 Club

Unread postby Rutnstrut » Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:23 am

dan wrote:I am always puzzled when guys say they won't hunt some where cause of the difficulty in getting a buck out, or they stress on it... Not pointing anybody out, just kind of thought about this while reading the title to this thread... I never really think about the difficulty. Never worry about up hill, across silt filled bogs, or thru heck and high water... It don't even really cross my mind till the buck is down. Then I just think, whats the best way to get him out of here... Sometimes I call for help. Sometimes I go back for a sled or cart... And sometimes you just grab an antler and start pulling. Eventually, I always made it to the truck.

But you have to remember Dan, and I mean this with respect. You aren't NORMAL :lol:
Reflex011

Unread postby Reflex011 » Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:44 am

Dewey,
We use a 2" wooden pole that we tie the deer on. It works wonders with 2 guys carrying out. Just make sure the taller guy is in back since you are climbing steep angles. Also, a 3rd guy always helps to carry the 6 pack of beer and rotate out a guy to rehydrate. 8-)
[glow=red]Aim Small. Miss Small.[/glow]

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”