Wind based morning bed hunts

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

DaveT1963
500 Club

Re: Wind based morning bed hunts

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:32 am

BTW I agree about Sept. When I hunted Montana, provided no one messed it up, the most Patternable I have seen bucks is on alfalfa fields in the evening.... But you usually only had one crack at them. Even then I seldom seen a mature buck do the same thing exactly every evening, there was always some movement in time and location of entry. And they more often then not bedded right next to the field making it extremely difficult to get on them in the AM or PM.

I did not realize your cattails/marshes are laying over in early season and so open..... so I assumed an evening approach would be best..... That's why assumptions are bad. If it's so open and the marsh is flattened in early season then I can see trying a morning approach but i can also see why they would bed early there and bust easy.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:52 am

DaveT1963 wrote:
dan wrote:
lol…. Why would you hunt a buck in the AM if you are seeing him leave his bedding day after day? That would be silly in my opinion.
Simple... cause you can't get close enough in open terrain in the evening. Don't seem to silly to me.

Seems to me, your having morning success the same as I am, cause your not killing them in the morning till Mid October, same as me... Early season for us up here is September, and that's when I have killed some great bucks, mostly in the evening... But as mentioned, mid to late October and Nov. is a different game.

I'm not sure how this has turned into an early season post? I hunt mornings ALL season. I get better then 2% because I usually hunt five to ten mornings (before third week of Oct) and i usually see mature bucks on 1/3 if these hunts. Three out of ten is 30%. Not sure if that is what you are asking?

It turned into an "early season" post cause the original poster posted the opening statement about early season hunting and I replied in reference to his early season statement...

I know Dave has mentioned he likes to hunt mornings because of the consistency of the bucks approach to the bed. I do not do a lot of [glow=red]morning hunting early in the season[/glow] and I know a lot of guys here don't either. But it interests me to hear the theory behind the consistency of bucks heading back to bed based on the wind. I know bucks leave there bed to head for food with wind at there back, crosswind, wind in their face.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:00 am

DaveT1963 wrote:BTW I agree about Sept. When I hunted Montana, provided no one messed it up, the most Patternable I have seen bucks is on alfalfa fields in the evening.... But you usually only had one crack at them. Even then I seldom seen a mature buck do the same thing exactly every evening, there was always some movement in time and location of entry. And they more often then not bedded right next to the field making it extremely difficult to get on them in the AM or PM.

I did not realize your cattails/marshes are laying over in early season and so open..... so I assumed an evening approach would be best..... That's why assumptions are bad. If it's so open and the marsh is flattened in early season then I can see trying a morning approach but i can also see why they would bed early there and bust easy.

Thats another "assumption" I hunt big woods, farms, hill country, swamps, suburban areas, river bottoms, and a host of other areas. The majority of my big bucks have not come from marshes. Where do you get the idea that all my hunts are in marshes? and only in cattails? That would be like me assuming you only hunt cattle ranches in Texas.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:05 pm

dan wrote:
DaveT1963 wrote:
dan wrote:
lol…. Why would you hunt a buck in the AM if you are seeing him leave his bedding day after day? That would be silly in my opinion.
Simple... cause you can't get close enough in open terrain in the evening. Don't seem to silly to me.

Seems to me, your having morning success the same as I am, cause your not killing them in the morning till Mid October, same as me... Early season for us up here is September, and that's when I have killed some great bucks, mostly in the evening... But as mentioned, mid to late October and Nov. is a different game.

I'm not sure how this has turned into an early season post? I hunt mornings ALL season. I get better then 2% because I usually hunt five to ten mornings (before third week of Oct) and i usually see mature bucks on 1/3 if these hunts. Three out of ten is 30%. Not sure if that is what you are asking?

It turned into an "early season" post cause the original poster posted the opening statement about early season hunting and I replied in reference to his early season statement...

I know Dave has mentioned he likes to hunt mornings because of the consistency of the bucks approach to the bed. I do not do a lot of [glow=red]morning hunting early in the season[/glow] and I know a lot of guys here don't either. But it interests me to hear the theory behind the consistency of bucks heading back to bed based on the wind. I know bucks leave there bed to head for food with wind at there back, crosswind, wind in their face.

My bad I thought he was just making a statement he don't do many early morning hunts in the early season. i also thought he mentioned me and asked me a question later. I didn't realize he was only wanting responses to early season which I now know is in September not first three weeks of October. Exactly why my first post didn't say much. Apologies to the OP.

Last edited by DaveT1963 on Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:21 pm, edited 4 times in total.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:08 pm

dan wrote:
DaveT1963 wrote:BTW I agree about Sept. When I hunted Montana, provided no one messed it up, the most Patternable I have seen bucks is on alfalfa fields in the evening.... But you usually only had one crack at them. Even then I seldom seen a mature buck do the same thing exactly every evening, there was always some movement in time and location of entry. And they more often then not bedded right next to the field making it extremely difficult to get on them in the AM or PM.

Thats another "assumption" I hunt big woods, farms, hill country, swamps, suburban areas, river bottoms, and a host of other areas. The majority of my big bucks have not come from marshes. Where do you get the idea that all my hunts are in marshes? and only in cattails? That would be like me assuming you only hunt cattle ranches in Texas.

Sorry when you said open areas that you could not approach I did in fact assume you were talking wider open marshes. Like I said I haven't hunted Wisconsin yet. It's obvious that the deer and terrain in Wisconsin are far above my pay grade.

whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:42 am

In my experience mornings early season Oct 1-20 can be difficult to get on a mature buck without blowing him out of the area because he's back to bed well before first light. With early doe season and youth season it's already put deer in pressure locations. The only success I've had on seeing mature bucks moving is a hard to access marsh, that was literally opening day and I had him patterned with tons of scouting. Evenings are my best oppurtinity until pre rut/rut. I've saw lots of younger bucks in the am, but as far as a mature buck, I tend to see most of mine evenings or late mornings after a wind shift or bedding shift, or someone bumped him coming out.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:42 am

Access is 100% the key. I think the 1st few days of season this can be done. But iv seen where a mature buck didnt show in morning daylight till 2 days before rifle in November even!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”