How big of a cattail marsh

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Hawthorne
500 Club

How big of a cattail marsh

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:24 am

How big of a cattail Marsh in continuous acres no roads does it take to grow a buck to maturity in heavily pressured areas in your opinion?These areas are mixed with dogwood, tamaracks, willows, and Marsh grass some oaks.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: How big of a cattail marsh

Unread postby dan » Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:43 am

Hawthorne wrote:How big of a cattail Marsh in continuous acres no roads does it take to grow a buck to maturity in heavily pressured areas in your opinion?These areas are mixed with dogwood, tamaracks, willows, and Marsh grass some oaks.

Thats an impossible question to answer... If a big buck survives in the pressured public he is going to likely head to the security of cattails/dogwood even if the best patch is only 20 feet around... But obviously the bigger, the better in most cases.
Bayshorebuck8
500 Club

Unread postby Bayshorebuck8 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:10 pm

I know of a spot where i have a mature bucks living area nailed down pretty good and his primary bed is on a micro island in a 20 acre section of cattails , the island is only the size of a truck bed. Its very clear its been used for years.

Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:26 pm

Thanks for the responses. I know that was kind of a broad question. I have alot of options for cattail swamps in my area.

Bayshorebuck8
500 Club

Unread postby Bayshorebuck8 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:35 pm

I love marshland dan mentions how its easier to read bucks and just deer in general in the marsh and it really is. For a second year beast bed hunter ive already made leaps and bounds in the marsh with targeting beds. , to me there is no funner or exciting way to hunt deer.

Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:13 pm

Bayshorebuck8 wrote:I love marshland dan mentions how its easier to read bucks and just deer in general in the marsh and it really is. For a second year beast bed hunter ive already made leaps and bounds in the marsh with targeting beds. , to me there is no funner or exciting way to hunt deer.

I agree. This will be my second season in the Marsh since joining the beast.Most of my hunts last season in the marsh was going in blind.This year ill have more pre determined sets. Looking foward to it

MikePerry

Unread postby MikePerry » Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:06 pm

2016 will be my first season using the beast marsh bedding methods and I'm excited for the up coming season. I was out scouting several public marshes since the season ended and have lots of beds nailed down with trees picked out for lots of early season sits. I've been pretty constant on killing mature bucks on public around here but I've always used rut tactics that mention I had to find funnels and pinch points far from roads and stay out till late October and sit all day dark to dark, it works but I'm looking forward to killing a big public buck in early October when he steps out of his bed at closing time and walks right into my setup. Can't wait

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Persistence pays!!!
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:53 pm

Hawthorne wrote:Thanks for the responses. I know that was kind of a broad question. I have alot of options for cattail swamps in my area.

You would probably better yourself by concentrating on marshes of 500 acres or bigger with tough terrain like lots of water and muck. It also helps to find spots off the radar of other hunters. For example, in Wisconsin the WDNR lists public land on its website, and its biologists recommend land to hunters who ask... They only talk about properties that are set up for hunters with parking areas, good access, trails, etc... But they own a lot of legal hunting ground that is NOT discussed and you need a plot book or you need to interrogate the local biologist to find them. It don't mean you will completely loose hunting pressure, but it can minimize it quite a bit.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”