Question about hunting Lone Trees in Marsh

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

gander08
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/#!/david.hagan.944

Question about hunting Lone Trees in Marsh

Unread postby gander08 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:52 am

Just something I was thinking about after watching Dan’s latest video…

Scenario:
You have a lone tree waaaayyy out in the cattail marsh with a nice buck bedding there, but there are not trees or brush anywhere near that tree to set up in and hunt the deer. The trail leaving the lone tree leads to the “mainland” but is over ½ mile away from the lone tree buck bed. Obviously the buck won’t make it to the mainland before dark, so how would you go about hunting this spot? The only way I could think to do it, would be from the ground, which would be extremely difficult. Any suggestions?

Buckshot20
500 Club

Re: Question about hunting Lone Trees in Marsh

Unread postby Buckshot20 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:57 am

Morning hunt, super early and hunt in that tree. Worst case you bump him out but he's not killable there otherwise

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:03 am

Maybe a wooden step ladder in the cattails and dog wood on a trail coming from his bed

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:15 am

You have nothing to lose by trying to set up at ground level in the cattails so it's worth a try if it's a buck you want to kill and you know the exact route the he will take to get to the mainland. I know of plenty of big bucks killed in this exact scenario. I know guys that kill bucks like this just about every year and never sit in treestands.

Many times there are slightly higher dry grassy spots out in the cattails that the deer like to cross. If you can set up on the edge of that with good cover in front of you it's one option. Another option is to set back off the main trail in the cattails and slightly knock down two lanes to that trail the buck uses. One lane to see the buck or even get a quick shot and the second lane in case you don't get a shot the first time. The nice thing is you can hear them coming from a long way so you are prepared when they show up.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Jeff G
500 Club

Unread postby Jeff G » Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:34 am

Bust out the step ladder

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:26 am

I will show a couple ground set ups in the "set ups" chapter of the video book... Basically, I set up in July when the cat's are mostly grown and cut a shooting lane to the exit trail trail on an angle.

[bbvideo=425,350]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlHYjDRtDKY[/bbvideo]

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”