Doe hunting!

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bayshorebuck8
500 Club

Doe hunting!

Unread postby Bayshorebuck8 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:01 pm

Im sure most everyone on the beast enjoys venison almost as much as i do. Theres alot of talk about hunting and killing bucks and tactics to do so but what about putting some meat in the freezer and killing a nice fat doe? Whays everyones favorite tactic for taking down big smart does? For me it would probably be sitting in a stand on the edge of a lush alfalfa field and having them all walk right by giving me choice of the herd. Early season i always like to put a doe down and get some much needed fresh ven in the freezer how about you guys?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

whitetailassasin

Re: Doe hunting!

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:07 am

I have specific areas that I know hold larger groups of does that I will go in to harvest one or two each year. Helps keep does down, but I'm very careful not to take a for just anywhere, especially my pre rut/rut locations I know mature bucks frequent. Having that doe during the hot estrous period she has may lead to a kill on a mature buck. There are also some new places I hunt when learning an area that I will knock one off at as well. I hunt them pretty much like I do my bucks, set up close to bedding and wait for them to get up. Early morning is my favorite time to take does though because they linger longer and seem to feed back to bed later and move bedding more frequently. One other instance in which I love to take a doe, even in my buck areas is if she has twin button buck fawns. Keeps those boys in the area. I know guys on here have mixed emotions on public land hunting and "culling" or managing, but I've saw way to many results in the positive for this to know it makes a difference. Love me some venison. Helps aid in confidence and gets the blood lust quenched :lol:

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Josh_S
500 Club

Unread postby Josh_S » Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:12 am

For me its more of a relaxing hunt with not near the effort involved in buck hunting. Close to home, an area that I won't interfere with an upcoming buck hunt, an easy drag, easy to see blood trail. While buck hunting is more of a solo pursuit, doe hunting can involve friends. Although many times I end up eating my doe tag because I find it hard to shoot a doe with young fawns, I just can't do it. More often than not I just end up watching them interact with each other, and I'm ok with that. Sometimes I feel like I hang onto my doe tag just to give me an excuse to hunt late season!
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:16 am

I used to kill a doe or two in late season and then my wife started hunting. She said she liked the does better, so she killed a couple and I wouldn't. But she hasn't hunted in a few years and I was thinking the other day about wacking one.

I was always wary of shooting a doe in the early season or pre rut. I wanted no disturbance in the woods while buck hunting. So, I always waited until late season. I used to pattern doe groups. I found that taking out the lead doe could sometimes change the patterns of that particular doe group. And sometimes that change could be drastic.

But I like doe hunting. Well, I like all hunting I guess :mrgreen:
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
Buckshot20
500 Club

Unread postby Buckshot20 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:20 am

I've got a spot that has been pretty consistent for does year after year. It's a small pine thicket surrounded by big pines with gallberry understory. They leave the short pines and feed on gallberries. Plus it's perfect for after work.easy access, short walk, short drag. I really don't have the desire to walk 2 miles or get up at 3 to put my boat in the water for a doe.

DeerDylan
500 Club

Unread postby DeerDylan » Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:24 am

I love hunting does! I usually try acorn flats or apple trees and like WTA, I like mornings.
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:50 am

I own a little bit of land n kill alot of my does there. I will take one or two off public if things line up right. It all depends on how full the freezer is, time I have to get it out of the woods n time of the yr. My area has a ton of em so its not to difficult to tag 2-3 a yr in my spare time.

tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:56 am

I deffinetly try to shoot a doe early every season. I have a different piece of public I've had good luck on in recent years.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:03 am

If I want to shoot a doe this year it's going to have to be a long way from home. Haven't had management tags around here for a while.

I'm hoping to have a doe tag in SD this year. I think the last doe I shot with my bow was 2008 when I was a SD resident and could get tags.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:12 am

I like it more than you...

So much that I would crawl naked over broken glass for 2 miles to eat the fat off Tif's plate!!!

Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:50 am

I would like to shoot a doe this year but like some have said, i am careful about where i take them from. I would not shoot one on a property where i would like to see a higher deer population (which is most of the properties)

“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:58 am

I shoot one or two every year. Does are real predictable if they aren't being bothered. One area I hunt has way to many. I could probably take my limit of 5 a year it wouldn't hurt. Can't eat that many and that's alot of processing

JSnake

Unread postby JSnake » Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:23 am

You can legally shoot 10 does per season in Georgia. TEN. All with a gun season that runs Mid October all the way to January.

At least they've cut down on the either sex days recently. I could have certainly taken more does than I have over the years but I worry that neighboring properties could be taking 5 or 10 a season. The densities in the majority of the areas I hunt can't support that, my SW.Georgia place being the exception. I personally don't care for the "it's just a doe" attitude I see in some folks I know; any animal harvested deserves our utmost respect.
blizzardhunter
500 Club

Unread postby blizzardhunter » Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:35 am

I plan out my doe killings. I will shoot one in October but I prefer late season. But if I'm feeling frogged I'll bust one as long as the weathers cool and I don't have to rush with the meat. Usually it is morning hunts only for does so I have all day to deal with them.

Bayshorebuck8
500 Club

Unread postby Bayshorebuck8 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:49 am

I like all the responses ! Keep em coming who refuses to shoot a doe early season? If im hunting a buck i wont but usually i whack a doe first two weeks.... i cant help it i need venison i see them big rounds walking and my mouth starts watering... i cut up all of my own deer and can make short work of them that coupled with our lease area having crop damage permits dad and i can fill the freezer

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”