Talked bow hunting with a guy at worked today..

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

welded34
500 Club

Talked bow hunting with a guy at worked today..

Unread postby welded34 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:53 am

So I started talking with this guy at work today. He heard me talking about turkey hunting. We talked about that for a bit then he asked if I bow hunted and I said yeah..so we went from there for like a half hour or so lol

One thing that caught my attention was when he draws back on a deer and is getting tired or shaking if the deer hasn't offered a good shot yet he said he will hook his thumb on his shoulder from a hook he put onto his jacket.
Anyone ever do this or hear of this?thoughts/opinions?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

stash59

Re: Talked bow hunting with a guy at worked today..

Unread postby stash59 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:59 am

I've seen a couple different videos where the shooter kept their bow drawn. But they lowered their arms somewhat. To change some angles and use some different muscles.

My problem has always been my bow arm gets more tired than my draw arm.
kurt

Unread postby kurt » Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:02 pm

It sounds strange to me to hold that long that often where you need a hook on your jacket.

Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:07 pm

I knew a guy that was injured and couldn't draw his bow. He attached his release to his shoulder and just pushed out with his bow arm then lifted up his hand and pulled the trigger. He killed a buck doing it.

kurt

Unread postby kurt » Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:50 pm

Suffering from a ailment is a different story I guess but I was picturing someone relatively healthy.

Alittle off topic but I would recommend the armless archer on you tube that guy is amazing.

I've seen few others shoot with there teeth with ailments.

jessejames

Unread postby jessejames » Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:37 pm

Elite 72lbs peak 7.5 holding at full draw. Problem solved.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:29 am

kurt wrote:It sounds strange to me to hold that long that often where you need a hook on your jacket.

yEA... Ive had it happen, but not to often. My arrow is usually sailing the second my kisser hits my lip. I don't pull back till I have a shot and practice shooting fast.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:44 am

Normally if you are holding for that long the buck knows something is up. A buck is a different animal once on its feet and not tending a doe. I normally have the opposite happen, lack of time the buck hangs around.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Rome

Unread postby Rome » Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:56 am

I practice for quick shots like Dan said, and found that not drawing until the shot is there is the best method for me. Learning when to draw is something that only comes with experience.

Rome

Unread postby Rome » Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:56 am

I practice for quick shots like Dan said, and found that not drawing until the shot is there is the best method for me. Learning when to draw is something that only comes with experience.

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:09 am

welded34 wrote:So I started talking with this guy at work today. He heard me talking about turkey hunting. We talked about that for a bit then he asked if I bow hunted and I said yeah..so we went from there for like a half hour or so lol

One thing that caught my attention was when he draws back on a deer and is getting tired or shaking if the deer hasn't offered a good shot yet he said he will hook his thumb on his shoulder from a hook he put onto his jacket.
Anyone ever do this or hear of this?thoughts/opinions?

That's actually pretty good thinking. I'm sure just about all of us have drawn on a deer and then it suddenly stops behind an obstacle or gives you the wrong angle. A majority of my kills were quick snap shots but those long draw/hold cycles do happen. Most times at close range if you have to let down it's over. Much easier to manage these days with higher let off bows.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”