Training to hunt.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

isitseasonyet?
500 Club

Training to hunt.

Unread postby isitseasonyet? » Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:00 am

How many of you see training as part of your hunting success? I know about the thread devoted to motivation for one another, this one is meant just to be conversation for the off season. I bring this up because I think it plays a bigger role than a lot of people care to admit. Tactics get discussed to death here, which is the best part about this place dont get me wrong, but I think this might make a difference for some. Not only does physical activity make you healthier, it also makes you physically and mentally tough, two things any beast needs to be. By training you are making sure your body is not going to be the reason for a blown hunt, just like you make sure your bow, stand, and other equipment is not going to fail you. By training you're going to be able to get into your spots quieter, I know when I get tired I drag my feet, get sloppy, make roo much noise and "just tried to get back there," those hunts I typically don't see jack. Or when hanging a stand, being able to place it just right avoiding objects such as limbs makes a difference, don't fool yourself, it's no easy task to hold a 15 lb object out at arms length while hugging a tree.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, in a place where no equipment or tactic is left to chance, if you're going to do something do it right. You'll be able to hunt longer, keep your head clear ( nothing clouds decisions like fatigue) and you'll probably have more success.

Maybe I'm going off season crazy, what do you guys think?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Hawthorne
500 Club

Re: Training to hunt.

Unread postby Hawthorne » Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:07 am

I think its very important for the public land hunter.

cedarsavage
500 Club
Facebook: No facebook

Unread postby cedarsavage » Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:11 am

I think it's important. I've lost 43 pounds since last July and it definitely helps keep me from getting as fatigued, being lighter makes walking through the swamps a lot easier

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:17 am

I don't train or work out much... A little on the treadmill, but not much. However, I am pretty active to begin with, and spend time in the woods scouting all year. Hunting is not much more activity for me than scouting, maybe even less in a lot of caSES.
tbunao
500 Club

Unread postby tbunao » Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:20 am

I may train a little bit

Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:51 am

I think some hunters struggle more than others. I think a lot depends on your body size. I think for me maintaining my size/weight. Is the biggest factor I focus on during the off season. I'm 5,8 and weigh less than 150lbs at anytime throughout the year.

I'm not a football player, being light and quick helps in this game. Usually the smaller guys are better at doing multiple reps of pull ups. I can sleep comfortably in the front seat of my truck. I'm lucky I'm small, it has many advantages in our sport. I can go over/ under logs and fences and squeeze through narrow gaps much easier than a 6 ft 250lb man. Carrying weight in the summer heat is something I always condition for a few months prior to bow season. I will often shoot a few arrows after my workout but still wearing a loaded backpack.

Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:01 am

Scouting keeps me in decent shape. I also do a lot of mountain biking and that keeps my legs strong plus really improves cardiovascular abilities and also light weight training to keep the rest of my body in shape. I stay away from heavy weight training lately because my back has gotten pretty messed up over the years.

One thing for sure is the older I get the more I see how physical training helps me be a better hunter. Sure makes muscle recovery a whole lot easier after a really physical hunt so I am ready to go again the next day. To get ready for the hills this year I have been wearing a pack while scouting that is equal in weight to my stand/sticks and other gear.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:02 am

I think it is important. But like Dan said. You don't necessarily have to go to a gym or lift weights. Just being active helps a ton.

You can still do things to step up this kind of program. Why not take your stand on your back with you while spring scouting. It will tone up those muscles you'll be using in the fall while actually hunting. An added bonus it will help you define weak spots in your carrying and setup system that may be noise makers, ect. Give you practice actually setting up in the tree you picked for that spot. Or show you that it needs more cover, ect. Make you choose a quieter route.

In the summer carrying a pack with a similar weight as your stand will continue this benefit.

If you don't live near your hunting spots. Like in the city. If your walking for exercise still take your stand or a pack with some weight in it with you. You may get some strange looks. But who cares. The benefit far outweighs the awkward looks you may get.

If you are a true workout beast more power to you. Just make sure to curb some of the things you do to use the same muscles you will when carrying in your stand in the fall.

As far as the mental side. At some point pushing yourself to do something above and beyond what your mind and body thinks is enough. Will help out with the grind of a long and so far unproductive season. Whether it's pushing yourself in your workouts beyond what you felt capable of. Or Knocking on some doors asking for permission on private. If that's super hard for you. Having done something mentally tough. Even though not totally related to the actual hunt. Will give you something to look back on. To say to yourself. "Hey I did that and thought I couldn't. I can get up early again tomorrow because it's gonna be THE day!"

Good topic!

And good luck everybody!
MN_DeerHunter
500 Club

Unread postby MN_DeerHunter » Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:31 am

Yes very important. It helps both physically and mentally. When you get tired, sore, and out of breath is when you take shortcuts and make mistakes.

Plus being in shape just makes everyday living that much easier.
Jphunter
500 Club

Unread postby Jphunter » Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:39 am

Yeah I think it helps.

Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:01 am

12 oz curls!

Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:02 am

12 oz curls!

I pick them up and put them down - empty...

Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
venisonassassin
500 Club

Unread postby venisonassassin » Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:19 pm

Ive been working out and lifting weights in one form or another off and on throughout my life, and pretty religiously for the past 4 or 5 years. It's not always a training to hunt thing as much as it is a feel good thing. I do have to admit though that hunting is on my mind quite a bit as I'm going about my workouts. I also do certain lifts or exercises that simulate what I'll be doing in the field, ie climbing trees, drawing my bow or climbing hills or mountains. Jumping rope has helped my balance tremendously, especially when it comes time to tiptoe those last hundred yards in a tight spot.
DeerDylan
500 Club

Unread postby DeerDylan » Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:09 pm

Edcyclopedia wrote:12 oz curls!

I pick them up and put them down - empty...

I think I just found my personal trainer!

Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:44 pm

I think it's very important, this time of year I do weights and lots of high intensity intervals (mainly Insanity) workouts. Late spring/early summer I'll add hill sprints, there is very little in this world that just sucks the drive out of you (makes you want to quit) than a good hill sprint workout.

My hill workout starts with a mile run on the track, followed by a 1/4 mile hard, then a 1/4 jog. Usually will do 3 and work up to 4. After the quarters I do three to four sets of 10 hill sprints. One set takes just under 5 minutes. Doing the hill sprints after you are already tired really helps me mentally. Might not sound like a hard workout, but it is for me :lol:

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”