Where is the buck 3 (Riverbottom)

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Lockdown

Where is the buck 3 (Riverbottom)

Unread postby Lockdown » Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:25 am

Just got permission for this piece of private land this week. It is roughly 80 acres. I have never set foot on it, but driving by on the road where the creek crosses, it looks fairly thick with lots of vines swallowing up the trees and thickets.

I have marked an aerial myself already. There is red brush (dogwood) to the right of the red line. You can see the road on the left side. There is another road just out of view toward the bottom, and a farm place on the lower right. The small creek that goes under the road might be narrow enough to jump in spots. The river is 15-20 yards wide and I'm sure requires waders to cross.

I marked multiple beds (more than 3) and labeled them (best bedding, 2nd best, 3rd best). The prevailing winds are indicated. We get very few winds blowing from left to right, and lower left to upper right.

DaveT1963
500 Club

Re: Where is the buck 3 (Riverbottom)

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:35 am

That's a great looking piece of property that I will bet will be red hot come the pre rut. I got to run to a meeting but here is a map with three real quick areas that caught my attention first. There are a ton of great funnels and bedding sites on this river

hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:37 am

My first guess. Cool threads a lot of fun

[ Post made via Android ] Image
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:40 am

Just remember guys I can only scout what's inside the blue lines. I didn't mark anything across the river because I don't have permission and won't be able to give a definitive answer. Unless I can see beds and rubs from across the river.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:50 am

Those double oxbows will be used... Which one will depend on the wind. So for the one i marked above the line jump the river to North - West oxbow. Id kill to have a crack at that river if the buck I want is there. You got a camera up in those funnels? I find that bucks will back into the oxbows when the wind is blowing INTO then during the rut. Great escape routes but also shoots the wind into then as does walk across the opening of the oxbows. Best of all you will have awesome access.

Last edited by DaveT1963 on Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:52 am, edited 3 times in total.
Mibowfreak
500 Club

Unread postby Mibowfreak » Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:18 am

On the map Dave marked up, I really like the far right yellow dot on the east side of the map.

Also, is that planted row cropa around there?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:40 am

First time in there is today Dave. Just talked to the guys bro in law who patrols it. He said the guys that hunt it have a bunch of stands and hunt it pretty hard. Bow and gun. They have access to the entire section.

Bow freak anything that isn't trees is Ag.

oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:48 am

Dont ignore the small points that jut into the ag field. The bucks can bed with wind at their backs and watch the field. Ive witnessed this before.

stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 3:06 am

I think all the spots already mentioned look good. But I'm personally intrigued by the oxbows on the far left of the property. Seeing you mentioned that there was heavy hunting pressure on the neighboring piece. This area may be overlooked due to it's close proximity to the road. Plus it has some good ag right across the road.

May be tough to hunt though!
Jphunter
500 Club

Unread postby Jphunter » Sat Apr 09, 2016 3:18 am

Here's a couple spots that caught my eye.

PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Sat Apr 09, 2016 3:20 am

Lockdown wrote:Just remember guys I can only scout what's inside the blue lines. I didn't mark anything across the river because I don't have permission and won't be able to give a definitive answer. Unless I can see beds and rubs from across the river.

If you can walk the edge just under the mean water line you can legally walk/wade on that side. Wait for a very dry period and you can probably walk on dry ground below the water mark.

No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 4:29 am

I like the dogwood oxbows. it's the furthest from entry and most guys won't hunt unless there is a tree. ground blind time?
kurt

Unread postby kurt » Sat Apr 09, 2016 4:59 am

3 oxbows in redbrush have my attention. I think I like the last one far east the best but you only have access to half if it.

Observation sits for early season look like they could pay off depending on crops... also cams in easy to access spots to hone in some things

DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:49 am

Lockdown wrote:First time in there is today Dave. Just talked to the guys bro in law who patrols it. He said the guys that [glow=red]hunt it have a bunch of stands and hunt it pretty hard[/glow]. Bow and gun. They have access to the entire section.

Bow freak anything that isn't trees is Ag.

that does make it tougher. My guess, without having observed it during season, is that the river and the heavier brush/timber to the East will attract the most attention so I personally wouldn't make that my first choice, especially if you find stands there during your scouting trip. So I am leaning towards what Stash said about the far west oxbow being overlooked and then the fingers that sticks furthest south into the field. Unfortunately, this is the kind of place that if it gets hammered a lot that they will blow the bucks out of - the cover is just not deep enough to withstand too much pressure. If they are careful hunters (i.e. they are not walking all over the place all season), then I would probably hunt this early morning using the creek for access and set up on the oxbows keeping the wind in mind. Pre-rut, I would focus on the small funnels between the oxbows during MID DAY movement. Maybe late season will be best after the initial surge is over and the bucks focus on feeding? If you see that pressure subsides then perhaps the thickest cover in the oxbows to the east might heat up.
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:10 am

magicman54494 wrote:I like the dogwood oxbows. it's the furthest from entry and most guys won't hunt unless there is a tree. ground blind time?

Yup. Non-beast minded hunters would likely treat that area as a "sanctuary" and not go in there. Possibly cuz it's hard to hunt. A buck in there should have everything he needs- food, water and shelter.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”