Dogs

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Lewis1303

Re: Dogs

Unread postby Lewis1303 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:51 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions. Some good ideas for sure. These dogs are coming from two 40's west of our place, so they really go for a good run when they get loose. Amazing how they find their way home.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

"Back in the old days if a man shot a deer he was considered a good hunter. Today if he shoots a deer it is said he has a good deer blind." Some unknown old time Yooper!
msailor

Unread postby msailor » Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:01 am

Capture them and offer them for sale...your land, your dogs :D
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:57 am

dirt nap giver wrote:From my experience, people allow their dogs to run free is due to nothing short of laziness. They are quite aware that there are leash laws, and if you talk to them about it, not much will change, because of their laziness. Every once in a while a pet escapes and I get that.

Point being, obey the law and maintain control over your pet and bad things won't happen. It's your pet, your responsibility, figure it out quickly, or I'll help educate you rather quickly on the matter.............what dog?

Totally agree.

Most people around here that have dogs don't deserve them. Out in the county we don't have a leash law. They run loose, underfed for the most part, no shots, and pretty much neglected.

I have shot dogs for killing my chickens and would again if the problem couldn't be solved through the dog owner.

We had a neighbor once that had a beagle. They weren't from around here and had a "city attitude". Every atempt to slove the dog problems was met with hostility. He would wait until I wasn't home and then give my wife a hard time. I knew better than to kick his but on his property and he knew better than to face me on mine. They let the dog run loose all day and then chain it up on the carport at night, right beside our bedroom window. It barked all night. I talked to the sheriff about the problem and he told me there was no leash law in the county and if I couldn't get the dog owner to take care of the problem, then kill it. On Monday's our trash was picked up, so on Monday morning I took the trash out beside the road. That was back before they supplied you with the rolling cans. Almost everytime, the beagle would get into the trash, tear it open and scatter it around before I could catch it. One morning I put out the trash and I seen the dog pulling on the trashbag. I grabbed the shotgun and went out the backdoor, sneaking around the side of the house. The dog seen me and took off running back toward his house. I threw up the shotgun and fired one off hitting the ground right behind the dog. It yelled all the way home. I went around the edge of the house after it and seen the trash truck picking up the neighbors trash. There was 4 or 5 cars behind the truck. I scared the crap out of all of them :mrgreen: If that were today, I'd probably be taken to jail for that.
A few days later my wife went to bed one night. I worked midnights and was sitting in the living room watching the news waiting to go to work. The dog was barking. All of a sudden she came out of the bedroom, pistol in hand, walked out the front door. Seconds later I hear BOOM BOOM BOOM and I cringed. Surely she didn't shoot the dog chained to his carport. She came back in and went to bed. I went in and asked her. She said she just scared it. Not long after that parvo came through the neighborhood and killed it. I couldn't help but smile.

I like dogs. We dog sit quite often for a friend who has labs. But there is a limit to what someone should put up with from someone's dog. I would try everything I could before killing another one, but I wouldn't say I wouldn't do it again.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
Tufrthnails
500 Club

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:26 am

You could do what all the other people do and drop it off in my neighborhood :angry-banghead:! Seems we have a new stray in neighborhood every week. The animal control guy knows me by name. My dog will no leave the fence without being called even then she stands at the gate for a second call.
Tuf- The below average hunting beast
IkemanTx
500 Club

Unread postby IkemanTx » Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:53 am

Tell them you are having trappers put in M-44 traps for all the coyotes and you are concerned their dog might get poisoned by the cyanide as well... if they don't keep their dogs in after that, they WANT them to die.

A rancher whose place we hunted in west Texas had lots of them. Yotes wouldn't make it 30 yards after tripping one of those aerosol poison bombs.
Go where none other dare to go, and there you'll find success.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”