Is this true from your POV?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dirt nap giver

Is this true from your POV?

Unread postby dirt nap giver » Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:20 am

Typically, I don't read these magazines, but this heading caught my eye while I'm sitting in the tire shop getting winter/summer tires swapped out and I thought hey, why not?! It's not like it's gimmick, gadget, blah, blah blah.

Interesting and I can see it to a point. But speaking of the masses, not just individually. In my opinion, this is another Beast separation aspect.

Thoughts?

Something to ponder on.

http://www.petersenshunting.com/hunting ... ir-skills/

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

hard work trumps talent, when talent fails to work hard
stash59

Re: Is this true from your POV?

Unread postby stash59 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:55 am

Just did a quick scan of the article.

I think yes in some ways. Modern technology has replaced out right woodsmanship. But not just in the use of modern hunting gadgets.

I think it's an over all mindset. Us old farts that didn't have gameboys, ninetendo, playstation, xbox or whatever. Spent way more time in the woods as youngsters. We all didn't progress at the same pace. But most of us by adulthood had a much deeper relationship with nature. Thus a much deeper respect for it. Far earlier in our lives. Than most, note I say most, of those younger than us.

I'm as big antler crazy as anybody. But I think this is partially why P&Y or B&C or nothing is more emphasized today. As a whole the younger generation of hunters has missed on some of the just as important aspects of the hunt. All the stuff other than what a rack scores! Or how successful one is!
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:05 am

dirt nap giver wrote:Typically, I don't read these magazines, but this heading caught my eye while I'm sitting in the tire shop getting winter/summer tires swapped out and I thought hey, why not?! It's not like it's gimmick, gadget, blah, blah blah.

Interesting and I can see it to a point. But speaking of the masses, not just individually. In my opinion, this is another Beast separation aspect.

Thoughts?

Something to ponder on.

Interesting read. Its hard to say where it stops and ends. We all discuss ideas on forums...exchange ideas, talk about concepts, share insights. WWW was never around 50yrs ago, over even 30yrs ago for that matter. I will admit, I do embrace the technology. Smartphones, internet and trailcams are the 2 biggest advancements in technology that I see is a huge boost, more than probably anything else.

The biggest challenge comes when one hunter looks down on another hunter because of the method they choose to hunt. Somehow, I am "better" hunter because I "don't use X". Its when the name calling starts...

Lets just use this example...I am planning on buying a Cell cam this year. IF I place in a bed, and IF I find out a big buck is using it on X day. And IF I shot that deer because I KNEW he was using that bed on that day. For me, I start scratching my head and thinking "did I just cross the line...has this gone to far"? OR is it "wow, thats amazing it all worked out that way. I cannot believe that actually happened". Because, on the flipside, if I have a deer that hits a food source during daylight, 3x in a row. I kill him on the 4x, I am ok with it.

But really, is it any different?
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:38 am

mainebowhunter wrote:
dirt nap giver wrote:Typically, I don't read these magazines, but this heading caught my eye while I'm sitting in the tire shop getting winter/summer tires swapped out and I thought hey, why not?! It's not like it's gimmick, gadget, blah, blah blah.

Thoughts?

Something to ponder on.

Interesting read. Its hard to say where it stops and ends. We all discuss ideas on forums...exchange ideas, talk about concepts, share insights. WWW was never around 50yrs ago, over even 30yrs ago for that matter. I will admit, I do embrace the technology. Smartphones, internet and trailcams are the 2 biggest advancements in technology that I see is a huge boost, more than probably anything else.

The biggest challenge comes when one hunter looks down on another hunter because of the method they choose to hunt. Somehow, I am "better" hunter because I "don't use X". Its when the name calling starts...

Lets just use this example...I am planning on buying a Cell cam this year. IF I place in a bed, and IF I find out a big buck is using it on X day. And IF I shot that deer because I KNEW he was using that bed on that day. For me, I start scratching my head and thinking "did I just cross the line...has this gone to far"? OR is it "wow, thats amazing it all worked out that way. I cannot believe that actually happened". Because, on the flipside, if I have a deer that hits a food source during daylight, 3x in a row. I kill him on the 4x, I am ok with it.

But really, is it any different?

Yeah the cell cam on a bed borders on the no hunting on a fly day rule found in many western states and Alaska. Although with a bed cam the hunter still has to skillfully gain access to his stand close enough to the bed without spooking him.

It get's even more gray for me when a firearm would be used. Don't need to get as close at times.
DeerDylan
500 Club

Unread postby DeerDylan » Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:49 am

One thing I really like about this site is the "older" generation being willing to try new devices or techniques. An open mind is the best tool we can utilize.
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:50 am

We’re tagging more and bigger deer than ever before, and we’re doing it in less time in the woods. Ah, there’s the crux—modern man has become a better killer, but are we really better hunters? Let’s take a look at seven essential skills and see who’s really doing it better.

Read more: http://www.petersenshunting.com/hunting ... z44ETO2jVE

IMO we have lost much. We have weapons that can kill deer over a thousand yards away with electronic scopes that will tell us where to put the crosshairs. Yet many hunters have little idea how to follow a blood trails they can follow a blood trail that is spilled like paint but when it gets sparse they give up and go home. I have seen "hunters" give up in 10 minutes of looking and head back to their stand to see if they can shoot another.

It becomes really apparent when it comes to wild edibles.

Bob

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:18 pm

Yep, completely agree with the main point of the article.

There is a big difference between effectiveness and skill. The way I look at it every item a hunter uses to increase effectiveness also results in a corresponding REDUCTION in skill...so in the end we don't gain much. Taken to the extreme the native hunters of north America, Africa etc were likely 100 times more skilled than us modern hunters.

That is why I just laugh to myself when people start debating "who's the best hunter" or "wow so-and-so is a great hunter." No reason for any of us to strut around like we are some bad-azz hunter. The best of us are still pretty lousy by historical standards, mediocre at best!

I will add though, that's just the nature of progress. For every gain there is loss. I am not going back to the stone age any time soon, just something to keep perspective on.
SamPotter
500 Club

Unread postby SamPotter » Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:24 pm

I suppose I'd agree with the article- especially when you are looking at hunters born in the 1990s and after. Growing up, I was taught all of the woodsmanship skills of the old school, but when the newer technology has become available, I haven't hesitated to use some of it to my advantage. The technology gives a hunter a slight edge on the old-school woodsman purist, providing everything else is equal, but there is no substitute for knowing the hunting fundamentals first.

I attribute a lot more of my hunting success to things my dad and granddad taught me than something recorded on an SD card.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:41 pm

Joere im glad you wrote that. I remember you saying that in another thread and i agree 100%. I've heard the African bushmans tracking skills are phenomenal. They live their lives out there and they don't have technology. They don't have a concept of time like we do. I think I remember reading the average kill distance for a native American on a whitetail deer was only 5 yards. Don't know how they came up with that. They shot primative equipment so they had to be good.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:06 pm

I agree with the article for the most part. Glad I grew up in a time when I had to learn how do things the harder way and still can fall back on them if I need to.

Can't say technology has made me a better hunter or helped me kill bigger bucks but it sure has made me more efficient at scouting and keeping me more comfortable on stand. I can appreciate this stuff knowing how things were in my early years. Can't imagine what the young guys here will see in the future. Gonna be mind boggling I'm sure.

Tufrthnails
500 Club

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:50 pm

I think the avg hunter is severely handicapped by modern tech. My family has a farm in KY and extended family have leases in GA. As poor of a hunter as I viewed myself in FL I was 50x's the woodsman of my families that hunted those areas. I hunted Fl leases with my family from time to time and bought my first ladder stand to use with them, because I had never had a use for one. The amount of bucks I seen on the hunting leases just being mobile and not afraid to leave the trail they had cut with their 4 wheelers to get there stands in was huge. I have an uncle that is the gimmick king he even has an acorn cruncher thingy. The entire reason they bought leases in GA and quit hunting Florida is because they never killed any deer outside of does during archery season over bait. And this is a trend I see continuing with the younger generation. I had a conversation with a 21yo today at the gun shop that revolved around the newest hearing aid on the shelf and how it was a gamechanger.
Tuf- The below average hunting beast
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:25 pm

One of things I will say...all technology, all of the trail cameras and smartphones, I do believe they have made us more selective.

I am also a firm believer that all of the technology is just an addition to hardcore scouting. Guys with trail cameras, friends of mine, have not really done any better with trail cams than they did before they had them. Because they are not putting the boots on the ground and improving there woodsmanship skills. Most, do not LOVE being in the woods. The guys who LOVE being in the woods, end up becoming better hunters. Its not just an end to a means. We love being there. I love being there.

If you took away all the gadgets, my love for the woods would not change. That kind of rings deep and true with every true woodsman.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:13 pm

We are in the midst of the electronic age. How many don't carry a phone everywhere they go? Cash is becoming increasingly harder to use. I don't carry any cash anymore. If you were to rob a bank of 10 million dollars it would be almost worthless in this country. We buy our hunting licenses on line. We buy our hunting gear on line. Yes we are becoming less efficient as hunters. It is also very tough to survive life in general. I spent one night in the hospital the bill was over $32,000 and that didn't include the doctor bill.

Thank you Obumble for the great insurance plan you put together. My share of the hospital bill was $4,700. Haven't gotten the doctor bill yet. I had the same procedure back in 2008 my share was $100.00 total. Yes things are changing in every aspect of life.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
dirt nap giver

Unread postby dirt nap giver » Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:58 pm

mainebowhunter wrote:One of things I will say...all technology, all of the trail cameras and smartphones, I do believe they have made us more selective.

I am also a firm believer that all of the technology is just an addition to hardcore scouting. Guys with trail cameras, friends of mine, have not really done any better with trail cams than they did before they had them. Because they are not putting the boots on the ground and improving there woodsmanship skills. Most, do not LOVE being in the woods. The guys who LOVE being in the woods, end up becoming better hunters. Its not just an end to a means. We love being there. I love being there.

If you took away all the gadgets, my love for the woods would not change. That kind of rings deep and true with every true woodsman.

This is in line with where I am. Yes I own a GPS and every year I ask myself why. I don't use it that much. But then I remember, that even though I don't necessarily need it close to home, I do use it when I'm out of state.

I have guys who ask me to teach them how to kill bucks. The first thing I say to them is "go online and buy these videos" most won't do it. They almost expect me to tie the deer up so they can shoot them. That's about the time that the efforts to teach them on my end is slowly lost. I just don't have it in me to teach all the woodsman skills and the kill skills.
Electronics have made things easier for sure, but I can also see where 10 years from now, majority of the woodsman skills will be lost. And your right! It's a very deep love for the outdoors in general.

hard work trumps talent, when talent fails to work hard
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:37 pm

dirt nap giver wrote:
mainebowhunter wrote:One of things I will say...all technology, all of the trail cameras and smartphones, I do believe they have made us more selective.

This is in line with where I am. Yes I own a GPS and every year I ask myself why. I don't use it that much. But then I remember, that even though I don't necessarily need it close to home, I do use it when I'm out of state.

I have guys who ask me to teach them how to kill bucks. The first thing I say to them is "go online and buy these videos" most won't do it. They almost expect me to tie the deer up so they can shoot them. That's about the time that the efforts to teach them on my end is slowly lost. I just don't have it in me to teach all the woodsman skills and the kill skills.
Electronics have made things easier for sure, but I can also see where 10 years from now, majority of the woodsman skills will be lost. And your right! It's a very deep love for the outdoors in general.

I do agree with all of that. A really good hunter has to love the land, love the chase, love the prey as only a hunter can understand. I do worry that our society is becoming so out-of-touch with the land, in about one more generation all that will shrink to oblivion. Its certainly dwindled in the last two decades....project that out we are going to hit rock bottom at some point.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”