Buck Bedding in the Northeast

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

headgear
500 Club

Re: Buck Bedding in the Northeast

Unread postby headgear » Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:26 am

Edcyclopedia wrote:
What percentage of the time do you go back to the same locations and find success?

Hard to say, some locations are active every season but I don't always lay eyes on them, that is maybe a half dozen spots. I have 30+ beds that can run hot or cold depending on what is in the area during a given years. Things get better with numbers but I have been hunting 6-7 deer per square mile in recent years so sometime you need a huge area just to find a good buck.

It also might depend on how you define success, for me personally if I have an encounter with a buck I consider it a success. Some years I only see one good buck and it's a make or break moment, other years I might see 3-4 but never get a shot and it's just as fun as those tag filled years. Last year I never laid eyes on a shooter, that isn't uncommon either.

mainebowhunter
500 Club

Re: Buck Bedding in the Northeast

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:05 am

headgear wrote:
Edcyclopedia wrote:
What percentage of the time do you go back to the same locations and find success?

Hard to say, some locations are active every season but I don't always lay eyes on them, that is maybe a half dozen spots. I have 30+ beds that can run hot or cold depending on what is in the area during a given years. Things get better with numbers but I have been hunting 6-7 deer per square mile in recent years so sometime you need a huge area just to find a good buck.

It also might depend on how you define success, for me personally if I have an encounter with a buck I consider it a success. Some years I only see one good buck and it's a make or break moment, other years I might see 3-4 but never get a shot and it's just as fun as those tag filled years. Last year I never laid eyes on a shooter, that isn't uncommon either.

Yep. Been there, done that. I view things very much the same way. Couple years back, had a fantastic 9yd encounter with one of the bucks I was hunting, count that as a success. Disappointed but pretty jacked to make the right call and be in the wheel house. Maine 2014, only saw 1 good buck from stand. I know I made some changes in 2015, saw 3 shooters in 6 sits. Killed one of them.

And, this year, trying to expand on what I did previous year. Adding more good spots. Spreading myself out. More spots that I can physically hunt in one season.

I travel to areas that have more than 6-7 deer / sq mile. I also hunt areas with 6-7 per sq mile. Tough hunting for sure.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”