Big does

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Robert

Big does

Unread postby Robert » Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:12 am

We all talk about shooting big bucks, but has anyone ever target a doe? Here is a big doe that I have a picture of

[ Post made via Android ] Image

justdirtyfun
500 Club

Re: Big does

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:17 am

Healthy sized doe for sure. One year I took one down that had the sloped nose normal to bucks. 135 field dressed, not huge but mature.

You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:25 am

I had a mature doe with a split ear on trail cam for 5 years. Was gonna shoot her if I had the chance. Never saw her on stand. Them big momma does are tough to kill sometimes with a bow. They are ultra wary in my area. I usually end up shooting a subordinate 1 or 2 year old doe

Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:13 am

I targeted her when I saw her ;)

141lbs

Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Bigb
500 Club

Unread postby Bigb » Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:02 pm

I really don't target too many specific does. When they get to an older age, they seem to be better parents and protect their fawns from coyotes and predators better. We have a couple does that consistently have triples that make it year after year. Figure they are smart does and we let them breed. Every year we seem to find a doe that looks to be dry because she looks old. I passed on one during gun season because I was after her with a bow and walked within 50 yards of her with my gun. She must have thought she was hidden but I didnt have the heart to shoot her sitting there. For me, I like a nice 1.5 or 2.5 year old that doesnt have any fawns.

The one below though I was after. She has a HUGE face and didnt have any fawns for a couple years. I never did catch up with her and wonder if age/coyotes/winter did her in.

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Mar 19, 2016 3:01 pm

I killed a few huge does up in far northern WI back in the good ole' days when there was a healthy population. In hindsight I regret doing that since those mature does are the breeders and produce the healthiest fawns. Haven't killed one anywhere since and only focus on bucks now.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:14 am

My first ever deer came from a deer drive in upper VT when I was about 15. 4-6 inches of fresh snow on the ground... I was the middle driver but could not keep up with the two locals who were cruising the edge of the mature planted pines. I slowed to a crawl and was just standing looking when I saw an inverted white "L" turn about 60 yards in front of me, turned into a nanny doe with 3 deer in tow. (Last one was a buck but I didn't know that.)

Doe led her group into a brushy clearing about 50 yards out front. My shot took her off her feet, chambered another round and tried a head shot on a deer head sticking out from behind a tree - missed. Now there are tails bobbing off in every direction....

Walked to where the doe was and saw bone and lots of blood. Trailed her immediately and ended up climbing a ridge, she slid down, and off into a beaver bog, thru the ice.... I'm deaf so didn't hear the deer slide down a 50 ft slope or breaking ice 50 feet in front of me... Came out into another area of mature pines and there she is. I put the X on her again and saw my co-hunter so I out the gun down. He didn't. Shot that doe with me in the line of fire...

132 pounds dressed. Huge. We split the deer cause a third guy was tagging it. 31 years ago and remember it like it just happened.

Later it was determined that the deer was "mine". A fellow back-tracked everything and said she lost so much blood that it was dead and didn't know it. My first deer. I told him thanks and if he had said that earlier he would have had half and not the other guy - it was the 3rd guy's tag. LOL!
Jeff G
500 Club

Unread postby Jeff G » Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:17 pm

we took this fat girl in mn this year. 200 lbs

BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:41 pm

my biggest was 180
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:28 pm

Jeff G wrote:we took this fat girl in mn this year. 200 lbs

Wow Jeff -- was she 200# dressed weight? Either way, that is a big doe.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:53 pm

125 was my biggest many years ago.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Jeff G
500 Club

Unread postby Jeff G » Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:01 pm

200 lbs not dressed. Biggest we have ever taken

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
mibowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mibowhunter » Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:00 am

I actually targeted a specific doe this year and shot her on my first time in after her.... I had trail camera pictures of her all summer long and she was enormous and never had any fawns with her. She was identifiable by 2 black tufts of hair on the top of her head, almost looked like a button buck. It was pretty fun targeting a specific deer like that, even if it was a doe...
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:27 am

I usually target the first doe that walks within bow range early every season. I name her "Garlic Butter". Size rarely matters because I hunt public land.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:25 am

Never targetted a specific doe...but I've killed a couple bigguns

This year's

They say that weight tape is pretty dang accurate and is based of data collected from PA deer...over #204 live

Believe this was last year..maybe the year before..

Same buddy helped drag both...he says the 2nd one was bigger...I didn't have the weight tape at the time...

I used to target smaller ones because the meat on the big ones can be pretty tough...I realized that steaks and chops even on smal ones aren't much better and shooting the biggest one usually keeps me safe from taking button bucks...and lots more sausage!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”