Will floodplain swamps be different than stable water swamps

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

justdirtyfun
500 Club

Will floodplain swamps be different than stable water swamps

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:43 pm

My area has lots of river flooded timber, larger rivers and also small tributaries. The deer can be pushed out for a month or more. Will they be more dependent on specific beds in this case? When they return?

The undergrowth is really sparse so my theory is the few thick areas will pull most deer in. And rootwads or debris piles will provide back cover. It has been an extra challenge and I'm spending my scout time on more consistent terrain like hill country.

What have you guys observed? High spots? Rootwads? Back to edges(old standby)?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
Swampbuck

Re: Will floodplain swamps be different than stable water sw

Unread postby Swampbuck » Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:55 pm

If the high spots are limited they can be goldmines... the swamps I hunt have a million mounds so it's hard getting a real pattern going. If you can get in there during high water that can help identify the highest areas.. but cover is still key cause they won't stay there once it recedes if its sparse

Make It Happen
KLEMZ

Unread postby KLEMZ » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:30 pm

My experience with marsh/swamp in river flood plains is that most of the fall bedding sign is erased by high water in spring thaw time, so they are challenging areas to figure out!

A few thoughts come to mind that might help...

-learn to find buck beds in a terrain that is easy to read (cattail marshes were the best learning tool for me). This will give you confidence in areas that are harder to read.

-If you can find an aerial picture of your swamp in flood stage, look for dry land points extending out into the high water, these will OFTEN turn out to be buck bedding areas even in low water level times. I know of three different mature buck bedding areas that follow this exact pattern. I would like to say that I found them because I was looking for this pattern, but the truth is, I found the beds and then later noticed the flood stage correlation. You can bet I will be seeking out flood stage aerials from now on!

One more comment. I was scouting with a fellow Beast a couple years ago and we found this area that was scarred up with multiple old huge rubs. It was a wide open mature tree area in an otherwise thick under story (near a river). We then found well used beds with huge tracks in this same wide open wooded area. It was obvious that a big buck spent a lot of time here, but it was not a typical bedding site. Back at home I put the way points on google earth, and every other mapping site I could think of. My county GIS website had a picture taken during high water and the beds were exactly on the end of the dry point sticking out into the flood! This was not obvious when walking in the field.

In flood plain bedding, it seems that as long as the bucks aren't pressured, they will bed in unconventional areas that are convenient for them (no flooding issues) as long as they are not harrassed. Kind of like hill bedding, where they will bed on open points until harrassed, and then move to high security thicker cover.
TNstalker

Unread postby TNstalker » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:40 pm

KLEMZ

I have a similar thing going on the rivers don't flood as much but are out now do to heavy rains. My question if the area has some of the better beds the bucks should move back in the area when the water fails correct? Specially if it's a spot that most people don't go?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
KLEMZ

Unread postby KLEMZ » Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:04 pm

TNstalker wrote:I have a similar thing going on the rivers don't flood as much but are out now do to heavy rains. My question if the area has some of the better beds the bucks should move back in the area when the water fails correct? Specially if it's a spot that most people don't go?

Yes, they will come back to the bedding areas that get flooded during high water stage. It is hard to know what water level on the river has the beds under water though. A guy needs to check the beds at different water levels and then have a gauge to measure when it will be dry. I have one bedding spot that I know I can hunt only when the water is 3 feet below a guys pier that I can see as I drive over a bridge (while on my way to another hunting spot).
TNstalker

Unread postby TNstalker » Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:24 am

Yeah agree with now the water level but it was a 5-6 inch rain over a 2-3 day span most being a day an half an I haven't made it to some areas yet an I was trying to gauge how long that flood would set be back bc the rivers got out big time more than normal.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
TN Whitetail Freak
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/307728519407218/

Unread postby TN Whitetail Freak » Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:58 pm

i hunt spots much like what you've described. water can rise 6-15 ft in the swamps....but there are certain spots deer are using every year. it floods deer are pushed up to the high ground then return once it recedes. like clock work. I have to keep tabs on river stages to anticipate the flooding in the swamps. I've pulled multiple gauges from online and embedded them into google earth that way i can click on it and get very recent water stages of the rivers around the hunting area that affect the flooding of the swamps.
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:50 pm

Thanks for sharing, I expected others were dealing with this same situation.

Using online guages would be helpful so I will work on that. Hopefully get a scouting day before spring flooding and bugs get out.

You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
blizzardhunter
500 Club

Unread postby blizzardhunter » Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:57 pm

This is interesting. I have several places like this close to me but haven't been sure how to approach them.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”