Review of Dans Scouting service

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Mike

Review of Dans Scouting service

Unread postby Mike » Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:38 pm

Just want to preface this by saying this is 100% my opinion and completely unsolicited.

Last weekend I got to spend a good amount of time with Dan and some other serious hunters scouting some private property. I primarily hunt private land and our group does pretty good, but the scouting day provided valuable info that I think will help us be more successful in the future. Dan was able to assess our weaknesses and provide strategies to help us up the odds during those time periods (among other things). Also I found just being in the field to see his scouting process and get an explanation of his logic will help me break down challenging spots and improve my scouting skills for future hunting areas.

I am told we covered 17 miles the first day, so we covered a good bit of ground. Besides gaining knowledge it was just fun to get together with other deer nuts, we hung out a bit and shared some food, it was kind of a mini deer camp in march. I highly recommend anyone wanting to improve the way they hunt and scout to hire Dan for a scouting day.

Thanks again Dan!

Jackson Marsh

Re: Review of Dans Scouting service

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:48 pm

:clap:

Were you able to keep up with Dan? :lol:

The scouting workshop I attended taught me (among other things) that Dan is a FAST walker....and I'm not slow :lol:

[ Post made via Android ] Image
hammer

Unread postby hammer » Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:31 pm

I was fortunate enough to attend the first day of this scouting weekend. Going in I wasn't sure what to expect, but had high hopes of what was to come. I will say, Dan did not disappoint. As Mike stated, watching Dan's scouting process, explaining the wheres and the whys, and the reasoning behind it was invaluable to a hunter like myself with a lot to learn.
I think most here would agree Dan is a great deer hunter. I think most that have met Dan would agree he's also a great guy. He took the time to answer all questions, explain different situations, pick out trees, look at maps etc.
I would absolutely encourage anyone who has not attended a workshop, or had Dan do a site visit to do so. I know that's been said on here by others quite a bit, but there's a good reason why.
Also wanted to thank Mike and family for your hospitality. The food was fantastic and it was cool meeting you guys.
Thanks all

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:37 pm

Good to hear you learned some things.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
U.P. bownut
500 Club

Unread postby U.P. bownut » Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:51 pm

Mike wrote: Also I found just being in the field to see his scouting process and get an explanation of his logic will help me break down challenging spots and improve my scouting skills for future hunting areas.

I think this was the biggest thing I noticed when he came and scouted some land with/for me. Top notch info I will use as long as I can hunt.
"Freedom Isn't Free"
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:17 pm

I really appreciate the kind words... 8-) We sure did put on the miles. Food was great, and so were the people involved.
RED OAK

Unread postby RED OAK » Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:44 am

I will also add a few comments of my own...
It was a privilege to finally meet Dan and walk through some of our hunting grounds with The Beast. There were a handful of scenarios/set ups that we discussed in the woods over well used beds and other sign. No matter how simple they may have seemed to Dan just having him there at the spot and watching him break it down was where I had my biggest "ah ha moments". My confidence in reading sign, beds, etc. also increased. Sometimes I overthink things and make them way more complicated than they actually are and Dan showed that to me on multiple occasions.
Bottom line there are no substitutes to boots on the ground, reading sign, keeping a log, correct use of cameras, and being aggressive when the time is right...even on private ground.
I thought I had a pretty good perspective on Dan just following his stuff over the years. But after meeting him in person and spending time in the woods with him I can tell you this much...he is a very humble down to earth person and I respect that in a man with his hunting success. He see's details in the woods and reads it like no one I have ever been around. 8-)
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:22 am

Jackson Marsh wrote::clap:

Were you able to keep up with Dan? :lol:

The scouting workshop I attended taught me (among other things) that Dan is a FAST walker....and I'm not slow :lol:

I can totally agree on all the comments about Dan in the field . ive been in two of his bear camps , mupltiple scouting workshops, and have even bow hunted with him, he is hands down the best if not one of the best whitetail hunters I know. he is also a very nice down to earth guy. his sense of humor is great and is one of the deadliest fly killers in Wisconsin :mrgreen: his bear tactics are just as equal! his attention to detail and knowledge of every type of terrain i have walk /hunted with him is amazing. he picks out the smallest the details of the details! personally if you walk away with out learning something from Dan, then you either don't have it in you or you weren't open-minded enough.

by the way Jackson Marsh, I showed Dan how to walk this past fall in wis bear camp! lets just say he could barley keep up ! I think his arms were a little soar from falling down a tree :mrgreen:
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:03 am

BigHunt that's not fair you forgot the part where Dan was carrying his stand/sticks, camera/arm and bait not to mention he has 20+ years on you. :mrgreen:

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:06 am

BigHunt that's not fair you forgot the part where Dan was carrying his stand/sticks, camera/arm and bait! :mrgreen:

BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:34 am

Dewey wrote:BigHunt that's not fair you forgot the part where Dan was carrying his stand/sticks, camera/arm and bait not to mention he has 20+ years on you. :mrgreen:

:? actually he was carrying nothing :lol:

he fell and scrapped his arms wile climbing a tree, he couldn't keep up because we were walking in some thick cover. he was trying to cover his wounds. before long I looked back and I thought he was gone :shock: but I could hear him panting and on my trail :lol: so I decided to slow down for the ol boy :D
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:58 am

:lol:

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”