Community scrape. What's your take?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

hunter_mike

Re: Community scrape. What's your take?

Unread postby hunter_mike » Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:12 am

Very good thread. Scrapes near to buck bedding have been my most successful spots so far for buck encounters and daylight trail cam pics. I get pretty excited when i scout and find a spot that matches that description.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Sat Mar 12, 2016 3:21 am

Mathewshooter wrote:
Rutnstrut wrote:
Mathewshooter wrote:I'm with JoeRE about proximity to bedding. The closer to the thick stuff, the better. I've been running Cams over primary scrapes for years and one thing I've noticed (and have yet to figure out why) is that every year is different as to when mature bucks hit it. For example, in the fall of 2014 I had 3 shooter (for around here) bucks come to one scrape during daylight hours in September. All 3 visits were at least 2 hours before dark, with one of them being at 1:00 in the afternoon. I never saw those bucks from that stand after bow season opened (OCT 1st) nor did I have them on camera. I did however see a bunch of yearling bucks, one of which was a pretty decent 8 point that I shoulda shot. I did see one of the shooter bucks on 2 different occasions from another stand about 200 yards away and both sightings were very early in the afternoon.

Fast forward to fall of 2015. At the same primary scrape, the only pics I got of any shooter bucks were at night and I never saw a shooter from either of my stands in that area. I did however get pics of a few shooters at night, well after dark. I also saw a ton of yearling bucks from the stand and also on camera during daylight hours. This is how it seems to go for me. Every year is different as to whats hitting the scrapes and at what time. I have yet to figure out why.

Could the difference in daylight activity been due to a food source change or more hunting pressure?

Anything is possible, but I dont think it was hunting pressure. I very rarely see any hunters in this area and never saw anyone in there these 2 years. I also keep tabs on my spots even when I'm not hunting them. I will drive around and see if theres any other cars parked around the area. As for food sources, acorns are everywhere and they are the main food source. I also see these deer from other stands heading to the same general areas. These stands are only about 200 yards apart. It may be something as simple as the deer change which parts of the bedding area they use. This bedding area is a 60 acre pine thicket, so they could bed in different areas of it at different times of the year, thus changing their travel patterns slightly. I will also add that the years the shooter bucks get caught on camera during the day, those years I seem to see them during daylight from one of my stands. The years the shooter bucks are caught at night, I usually never see them from any stand that fall. This seems to be season dependent. I've seen the same deer one year always show up during daylight and the next year the same buck would only show at night.

If you are confident there were not other hunters messing around in the area my money is on changing food sources. Travel patterns can change completely based on food. Mast crops change by year particularly acorns, and if there is agriculture in the area there is always crop rotation that influences where deer are filling their stomachs.

I had one area last year that had regular daylight activity by good bucks in 2013 and 2014, both good acorn years locally, but in 2015 it was a ghost town because there were no acorns. It connects to large oak flats and ag fields are a ways away. Travel routes and bedding changed accordingly.

Another thing, adding on my previous comments and pretty much along the lines of what Dan just said, just the fact a scrape is humongous doesn't mean much to me. That has no bearing on if it should be hunted. Location is everything when you are trying to determine if a scrape is worth hunting. Staging areas, as Dan defines them, are where daylight activity is at.

Does were mentioned, I see does come in and work licking branches on scrapes a lot through the first half of October or so on those big primary scrapes (now I am just talking about the giant ones closer to food sources where I like to put trail cameras for inventory, but are a waste of time to hunt IMO). After that it is almost all bucks. I suspect the does start to keep their distance due to harassment by younger bucks.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:35 am

I used to hunt scrapes back in the day because the magazines said it was a good idea. I had very little luck. I'm not talking with mature bucks, I mean ALL bucks.

I did figure out that most scrapes basically meant nothing, but "hot" or "community" scrapes were huntable. In the farm grove, there is always a scrape line on a wooded fence line heading to prime private. There are also multiple scrapes in the grove in the same spots each year.

One of those scrapes ends up getting way more activity, but the funny thing is, it moves around from season to season. Sometimes it's in the NW corner, it might be the scrape near the the old grainery, and once in 5 years the "hot" scrape was on a bend in the 4 wheeler trail in the middle of the grove.

Here's a pic of the grainery scrape

I wouldn't call them a quote "primary scrape" that gets lots of attention annually, due to the fact that it moves around. I do pay attention to where it's at though. In 2012 I had a stand 35 yards from it in the NW corner. On a morning hunt I had the big 8 and THREE other bucks chase a doe into the grove an skirt around me.

Eventually there was no sign of the big 8 or the decent 10 that ran in. With no sound of chasing I left for a couple hours and came back. Early that evening, the 10 came charging toward the grove. He was bedded on an island just outside of it. After chasing does around he came up and worked that scrape 35 yards from me. I passed the shot thinking he'd offer me a better opportunity but never did.

That's the one of two times I had a shooter buck work the "hot" scrape during daylight in the last 5 years. Here's the 10:

I had pics of bigger bucks working it at night, but never during the day.

In 2015 the buck I shot worked the scrape during daylight.
Sorry for the crappy computer screen pic.

I don't make a point to hunt right over top of it, but having it in range sure doesn't hurt.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:54 am

Btw the date and time is right but the year is wrong in that last pic.

This spring I found a cluster of scrapes that got my attention. There is 7 of them in a 50 yard area, with trails that lead to buck bedding 125-150 yards away. I prepped a ground blind nearby.

There are a couple different possibilities for bedding in the area, and there is the "spokes on a wheel" configuration of trails leading to those scrapes and rubs. It will be interesting to see what happens.

Running camera over a couple of these scrapes would teach me a lot, but we can't run camera on public.

IkemanTx
500 Club

Unread postby IkemanTx » Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:41 am

Lockdown wrote:Running camera over a couple of these scrapes would teach me a lot, but we can't run camera on public.

I really don't get the point behind the no camera laws.... Are they just afraid of thousands of cameras junking up the woods?

Go where none other dare to go, and there you'll find success.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:00 am

IkemanTx wrote:
Lockdown wrote:Running camera over a couple of these scrapes would teach me a lot, but we can't run camera on public.

I really don't get the point behind the no camera laws.... Are they just afraid of thousands of cameras junking up the woods?

It's the MN DNR... Don't get me started lol

mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:25 am

I killed this buck here on public land in Nebraska on a scrape line 11-13 at 10:15am. But the scrapes told a story. Told me the bucks were traveling the river. So I setup a stand on the downwind side of the scrape line between 2 pieces of cover. Also, downwind of doe bedding areas. These scrapes / rubs were there every year that I scouted it.

But there was more to the story than just a single scrape. Lots of pieces to the puzzle.
warhog23
Facebook: corey policaro

Unread postby warhog23 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:40 am

To me its hard to say to someone in writting and even pics that "yes its a comm scrape" or "comm rub" or anything unless ive walked the prop myself and even hunting it for at least a year (sometimes) most scouting and finding deer sign will require follow up scouting closer towards opening day to see if a buck or bucks that u want to harvest is still using the scrapes (especially if they're using it during the day still) id trail cam it (if its possible to check close or during the season without getting caught with ur scent, which is almost unlikely to be obtained) and put it into the equation of bedding, closes food or water and let time tell u when u should go for the kill... I know this is very general but i think people that when they find sign want answers right away and that isnt how it works in the deer woods, especially spring scouting last breeding seasons sign, our fast paced society naturally makes us want the situation solved immediately and which is why i love hunting deer and figuring out what they do on a daily basis

warhog23

Unread postby warhog23 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:47 am

mainebowhunter wrote:I killed this buck here on public land in Nebraska on a scrape line 11-13 at 10:15am. But the scrapes told a story. Told me the bucks were traveling the river. So I setup a stand on the downwind side of the scrape line between 2 pieces of cover. Also, downwind of doe bedding areas. These scrapes / rubs were there every year that I scouted it.

But there was more to the story than just a single scrape. Lots of pieces to the puzzle.

I love bucks with that super wide spread look to them... Great buck mainebowhunter... Makes me want to go after this guy even harder this year

warhog23

Unread postby warhog23 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:51 am

If i can even just find this bucks sheds i would felt as if i killed him... Especially his right side with that split brow... A lot of people in town have been talking about this buck and as far as i know im the only one with pics if him

Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:59 am

On a side note, never ever use a white flash camera over a scrape.

I used to think it didn't bother them, but I know differently due to that very scrape cam. I had it on 15 second delay and I had way more single pics of bucks coming in nose up, than repeat pics. Especially with bucks two and older.

You can't tell me that they worked it in less than 15 seconds and moved on. This year I used the landowners black flash at eye level and they didn't react negatively at all.

Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:05 am

I ran a cam over a community scrape for a few years all year. Deer would visit it all year long to work the licking branch. I only had two pics of mature bucks on it in daylight during season.One was on the evening of oct17 during a cold front. The other was mid morning nov13. Had lots of pics of mature bucks on it at night. Majority of them only one time

stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:50 am

mainebowhunter wrote:I killed this buck here on public land in Nebraska on a scrape line 11-13 at 10:15am. But the scrapes told a story. Told me the bucks were traveling the river. So I setup a stand on the downwind side of the scrape line between 2 pieces of cover. Also, downwind of doe bedding areas. These scrapes / rubs were there every year that I scouted it.

Great example Maine. I liked scrape lines better than a single scrape. Mixed with enough rubs over a distance. It gives one a more consistent line of travel. Many times by studying where on the rub tree and which way the dirt is thrown. You also get a direction of travel. Which may indicate time of day used. Heading from food toward bedding, a morning spot. Also visa versa.

Combine this with the rub/scrape line being between doe bedding or on the cross trails going into doe bedding. Whether on the downwind side or not. You have a great spot for a pre-rut late pre-rut all day killing spot.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:23 am

A higher buck to doe ratio, especially if there are a number of mature bucks (4 1/2+) present, will increase scrape activity. And like what has already been stated, location is the key. I've had much higher success with scrapes located in deep cover near DOE bedding last week of October and the first week in Dec.

stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:47 pm

Huge point Dave!! All "normal" rut activity is better. If and when the buck/doe ratios are in balance. Once the ratio gets above 1/4. Alot of the "typical" rut behaviors go out the window. Since high deer hunter numbers/pressure. Often occurs in areas of out of skew buck/doe ratios. Using tactics like hunting scrapes, using scents, calling and rattling. Seldom work consistently enough to make it worth the while.

Thus the need to know intimately. The makeup of the deer herd/herds in the area/areas you hunt!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”