Bed gone cold

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Justin85

Bed gone cold

Unread postby Justin85 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:34 am

I found a bed 364 days ago, to be exact lol. It was smoking hot. Smelled like a barnyard. Big droppings and lots of them, from old to seemingly just let go. This bed was in a 30ftx40ft patch of brush about 200yds from the closest wood line, with a small river, too big to cross without getting wet wet, and an oxbow off the river going around the backside of it, too wet and deep to cross without making a ton of noise. This place had just about every advantage a deer could have. Found a fresh shed in it last year and it was absolutely riddled with big tracks, hair, droppings, etc. I laid awake for hours trying to figure out how to get close. Never could figure it out. Not bow range anyway, and didn't want to being attention to it with an orange vest during gun season.

Went by today for the sole purpose of looking for sheds. Nothing. Absolutely dead. I can't imagine the food is that different. It's a year from when I was last there. Doesn't look like it's been used much at all. Any thoughts? This is looks to be the kind of place that would be used repeatedly.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

wickedbruiser
500 Club

Re: Bed gone cold

Unread postby wickedbruiser » Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:52 am

My only thought is the main buck using that bed is dead or relocated due to pressure. Whether it was hunting pressure or yotes.

Sounds similar to a buck bed I found on a knoll surrounded by thick swamp. It was soo hot one year with a close encounter and then the next year, stone cold. Covered with coyote tracks and my buddy said he hears them yipping all the time.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Justin85

Unread postby Justin85 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:03 pm

It beats all I've ever seen. I mean I could understand it this time of year with the lack of good food near by, but last year at this time it was hot, and nothing near by has changed.

Can only assume the buck that was there last year has been killed.

It's an easy spot to glass. May have to watch it a time or two this summer. Not that it will matter, no idea how to get within bow range of anywhere that a deer using it would be during day light.

Justin85

Unread postby Justin85 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:04 pm

Yotes may make sense. I know they have to be around all year, but I've followed some dynamite trails out points and islands only to be full of yote tracks and few if any deer tracks once I hit snow.

Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:06 pm

This has happened to me a few times. Not sure whether I've bumped them and there is so much other bedding they relocate or what the driveR is. I suspect in flatland with numerous bedding they just move around

Make It Happen
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:12 pm

I've seen this happen in some of my areas. I've noticed when does get populated they will displace the bucks. I've also im having the same problem with coyotes displacing the deer. Could be hunting pressure or the buck is dead. Keep an eye on it could be hot next year has the outdoors are constantly revolving in a cycle

Justin85

Unread postby Justin85 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:54 pm

I do have a whole slew of other beds that have been used in the area, but none were nearly as secure or hard to get to as that one. This one has just about every advantage a deer could want. Wind gives an advantage from just about any way it could blow, as pressure could be from any direction. Can hear someone trudging through the marsh with no trouble. Water obsticals. Sight advantage.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”