Arrow Placement

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Arrowbender
500 Club

Arrow Placement

Unread postby Arrowbender » Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:30 am

I thought we could get some discussion going on shot placement and experiences related.
Here is a doe I needed to cut the throat on 2 hrs after the shot. Autopsy showed only scratched lungs and liver hit. Couldn't believe it. I thought I had a great hit so I reenacted it with an arrow back home. Still looked good but facts is facts. I kind of blame it on Montec blades. I never felt them sharp enough. Found her in 6" of water in the swamp.
[img]http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm32/arrowbender/deer06005.jpg[
Somewhat amazing to me. She was close and I was @ 20' up.
Both lungs had marks just not punched through.

adrenalin
500 Club

Re: Arrow Placement

Unread postby adrenalin » Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:10 am

I wouldn't be too surprise with a one lung hit on that one, but I would be happy with that shot if I just made it. I shot a doe with the shotgun last winter and found a pass through arrow wound in it which should have been through both lungs, about 3 inches behind the shoulder and just below center in the same spot on both side. It was actually a better hit than I made, but some how never killed it.
AC Rider
500 Club

Unread postby AC Rider » Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:13 am

Amazing!!!! Looks like a good hit to me
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:17 am

Wow. I'd be tickled with that shot!
wibow
Facebook: www.facebook.com/jon.j.justice

Unread postby wibow » Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:22 am

IMHO I don't buy into blaming a particular head for not putting an animal down. I think it starts with the shot itself. Distance,angle of penetration,speed of bow etc. A shot that's dead on is just that...a shot that is a little off is off. Your shot looks good,but you said it only knicked lungs so possibly it wasn't the best shot. So many variables...complete pass thru vs. arrow still in animal,two open wounds pumping blood vs. one hole plugged with an arrow etc. Bottom line is that you recovered the doe man which is awesome regardless if the shot wasn't perfect. We could probably discuss this topic forever. I still think a well placed shot is more important than the broadhead choice. Just my 2cents...btw congrats on the baldie bro!
Dor
500 Club
Facebook: Chris Dornack

Unread postby Dor » Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:43 am

Good Shot (back a bit)...not perfect but 99 out of 100 times that is a dead deer within minutes if not seconds. Dull heads can be very bad. I prefer to try and take out the off shoulder on angle like that. Anyway, nothing you did wrong, just a fluke deal IMO.

Call The Footed Shaft to order Kwik-Straps 507-288-7581 or order at the kwik-strap.com
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:17 am

The shot looks a little back, but still should of been lungs. Makes me wonder the position of the deers front leg at the shot. Like someone else said, I would expect at least one lung on that hit.
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:16 pm

Looks like a good shot to me but she didn't go down. Please explain the "scratches" on the lungs.....are you saying the arrow scratched the sides of both lungs? With a sharp broadhead ae you guessing it would have punched thru both lungs then?

To me it would look at least one lung would be a puncture wound but guess not.
GRUD
500 Club

Unread postby GRUD » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:57 am

I shot a doe last fall with my muzzleloader which was perfectly broadside and my shot went through just behind the shoulders. She ran off a few yards and laid down. I watched her for about 15 minutes and finally decided to put another round in her. I missed the second shot because it was a pretty thick area and she got up and ran off a little and laid down again. She finally gave it up about ten minutes later. When I gutted her my sabot went dead center of the smaller lower back lobes of both lungs. I was amazed she held up so long, I thought I may have made a bad shot. I wouldnt blame the broadhead or placement, a 50 cal hole in both lungs still didnt put my doe down quickly.
Arrowbender
500 Club

Unread postby Arrowbender » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:09 am

H.H wondered
Please explain the "scratches" on the lungs.

Both lungs had a deep scratch or minor cut that I reasoned is from the blades of the broadhead hitting but not catching with the tip. On the near side lung it was almost two inches long but didn't open or apparently hemorrhage. The offside had a pretty good nick in the lower edge but still not deep. Neither had the "star" or hole.

Wibow said
possibly it wasn't the best shot. So many variables...complete pass thru vs. arrow still in animal,two open wounds pumping blood vs. one hole plugged with an arrow etc.

It was a pass through w/ bloody arrow in ground. The liver had 4 holes in it and the deer was still breathing after 2 hours. The montecs back then wouldn't shave wrist hair out of the box and I was never satisfied with how sharp I could get them. I bought both sharpeners that G5 put out (what other mfg'r ever made two sharpeners for one broadhead? Should've been a clue).
So I'm not really blaming the broadhead. I was in denial about how sharp they were. I do believe that that same shot with my current Slick Tricks would have put her down sooner.
It won't happen AGAIN !
Stuart
500 Club

Unread postby Stuart » Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:45 am

That is too bad!
PASwamper

Unread postby PASwamper » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:38 pm

As long as you get a pass through I don't think the broadhead sharpness would be a factor. The broadhead going through is gonna cut anything it goes through I would think. I think it was just a little far back is all, but probably a kill shot most of the time.
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:13 am

This past Sunday a friend called saying he shot a doe but hit her low behind the shoulder In the brisket area. 4 of us got together with 3 of us posting and the guy who shot the deer was on the blood trail. He snuck up to her and drilled her perfect through both lungs. The deer ran off 30 yards and layed back down. 10 minutes later we walked up to her and she was still alive. I let another fly myself and caught the top of both lungs. Again she wouldn't die as we watched her for another 10 minutes In disbelief. No doubt she was getting weak so I walked up to her and took the arrow of mine that was still In her and pulled It out some and jabbed It back In towards the heart. That finally ended It with her. Never have I saw this before. When he gutted her out there wasn't an ounce of blood In her from the brisket shot. Never saw that much blood on a trail from a brisket shot. Upon further Inspection his 2nd shot caught both lungs but back a tad. My shot caught both lungs but It was the top of them.
Dor
500 Club
Facebook: Chris Dornack

Unread postby Dor » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:42 am

Strange...high lung shots usually are the fastest killers IME.

Maybe deer are evolving into to SUPER-DEER. LOL

Call The Footed Shaft to order Kwik-Straps 507-288-7581 or order at the kwik-strap.com
Arrowbender
500 Club

Unread postby Arrowbender » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:07 pm

Swamper replied
[quote]As long as you get a pass through I don't think the broadhead sharpness would be a factor/quote]

With all due respect I don't think that anybody could disagree with that statement more than I do.
The sharpness of the broadhead is imperative to a clean kill. To ensure maximum hemorrhage and loss of blood we owe it to the animal to do everything possible to shoot only the sharpest of broadheads.

On the doe in the pics it WAS a pass through and there were four holes in the liver. Very little blood on the ground and a very alive deer after more than two hours. You can question the shot but in my experience with that much liver damage she should have been dead.
IMO

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”