Beds Found - Need Input

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

<DK>
500 Club

Beds Found - Need Input

Unread postby <DK> » Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:42 am

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34887

Link to thread I started. Need some insight on beds I found so far this year. Things like are some rut beds? stand placement? Have I found smaller buck beds than suspected?

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Beds Found - Need Input

Unread postby dan » Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:14 am

I have been super busy, its that time of year, scouting 3 farms this weekend alone.... If I don't get to this, and no one else helps you, send me a PM after the weekend and I will look at it.
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:54 pm

bumping it for dan, I dont think he had enough to do this weekend.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:18 am

Thanks but almost anyone on here can answer my questions... I don't understand, is the "veteran" thing? Seriously, im only a 3rd season newb and running out of time before green up here and / or my wife kills me. I have to finish my 2nd property scouting and do 1 more. I might have 5 full days left...
Jeff G
500 Club

Unread postby Jeff G » Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:19 am

these are the spots i would look at and hunt on a northwest wind.

<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:30 am

Thanks JeffG
Jeff G
500 Club

Unread postby Jeff G » Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:32 am

theres other spots that i didn't mark, but to me these are the best looking spots that I would focus on. Good luck!

some of the spots i marked match up really well with the sign that you found and marked.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:39 am

Jeff G wrote:theres other spots that i didn't mark, but to me these are the best looking spots that I would focus on. Good luck!

some of the spots i marked match up really well with the sign that you found and marked.

actually you just helped me the most w wind tunnels and planning my hunts better also.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:53 am

Disclaimer: I am not a beast hill country expert by any stretch, my methods seem to be different then a lot of the regulars.

Having said that, I really like this area for buck bedding (outlined in orange circle). These are the kind of places I look for small points/fingers close to sign when I hunt Montana foot hill country. Some of the other areas already marked also look good but this one just caught my attention as it has several escape routes, rather easy access and a buck could easily adjust without moving far for west/east based wind shifts and vice versa. It is close proximity to some of your better buck sign and the buck can easily travel towards doe bedding. Without knowing food sources, this may be a rut only bedding area?

<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:42 am

[quote="DaveT1963"]Disclaimer: I am not a beast hill country expert by any stretch, my methods seem to be different then a lot of the regulars.

Having said that, I really like this area for buck bedding (outlined in orange circle). These are the kind of places I look for small points/fingers close to sign when I hunt Montana foot hill country. Some of the other areas already marked also look good but this one just caught my attention as it has several escape routes, rather easy access and a buck could easily adjust without moving far for west/east based wind shifts and vice versa. It is close proximity to some of your better buck sign and the buck can easily travel towards doe bedding. Without knowing food sources, this may be a rut only bedding area?

YES! that's what I am looking for, new ideas here. I do in fact believe this main area is great spot for pre rut / rut (but was not sure) - that area you circled looked good and I found "SUSPECTED BEDS" there but could not confirm, some looked weird. there were rubs going up and down, but couldn't pin point bed. I basically didn't venture to lower levels in that area

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”