Buck sign

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Schultzy
500 Club

Buck sign

Unread postby Schultzy » Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:05 am

Around November 17th or so I started seeing rubs. The woods I hunt was loaded with scrapes this year but not a whole lot of rubs up until November 17th. Why all of a sudden are the rubs showing up after the peek of the rut? Some are some very nice rubs (good height). Prior to November 17th a few good bucks were shot by neighbors during our gun season that have land bordering the land I hunt so you'd think there was less competition between the bucks. You would think they would've been rubbing before In early November before the breeding started when there was more bucks around wouldn't you?

Dor
500 Club
Facebook: Chris Dornack

Re: Buck sign

Unread postby Dor » Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:26 am

Happens every year. I attribute it to new bucks that are looking for more breeding moving into another bucks domain. Its a way of establishing there presence. Thats my take anyway.

Call The Footed Shaft to order Kwik-Straps 507-288-7581 or order at the kwik-strap.com
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:52 am

I walked thru an area earlier in the week that was tore up with rubs and scrapes. Nothing that was huge but none were there a week ago. Placed (2) trail cameras at trail crossings and scrapes and captured some buck pics.....all night activity and one or two are ok bucks.
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:53 am

Dor wrote:Happens every year. I attribute it to new bucks that are looking for more breeding moving into another bucks domain. Its a way of establishing there presence. Thats my take anyway.
My dad and I were talking about this very thing this morning as I asked him what he thought the reasons were. He too thinks possibly another bigger buck has showed his presence a time or 2. Makes sense to me but thought I'd see what others thought too.

Thanks guys.
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:05 am

There are less and less does to breed, and the bucks are getting frustrated. Just like they are in the pre rut when there aren't many does to breed then either.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:50 am

Good point Spysar!!
wibow
Facebook: www.facebook.com/jon.j.justice

Unread postby wibow » Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:54 am

Spysar wrote:There are less and less does to breed, and the bucks are getting frustrated. Just like they are in the pre rut when there aren't many does to breed then either.

x2
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:15 pm

I would think there are a couple does in the area that have not been bred yet and the bucks are making there presence known to those does and maybe to the other bucks as well... I don't think its a new buck to the area cause I believe bucks have the same home range the majority of there life. They may use one area more though when a doe is getting ready to come into heat...
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:18 am

Thanks Dan!
Stuart
500 Club

Unread postby Stuart » Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:27 am

Dans right on!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”