Bowhunter burnout...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

isitseasonyet?
500 Club

Re: Bowhunter burnout...

Unread postby isitseasonyet? » Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:36 pm

I've only been bow hunting for about 5 years, I'm real young compared to a lot of guys on this forum... I'll keep in mind to have balance in my life as I get older.. This thread is a good lesson for us younger guys! Thanks all for your posts, but one thing I will say is that I can't help it that deer are almost always on my mind!

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:55 pm

There are times I really wish I had a hunting problem. :D
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
GFAR100

Unread postby GFAR100 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:51 am

Wanna say thanks to Dan and Stanley for the post. I'm a younger guy and it reminded me that
It's good to keep things in perspective and to remember not to put too much pressure on yourself about end results and "trophies".
keeping a balance in your life enjoying hunting and to do it for the love of it, while having respect for the animals you hunt and being appreciative of nature.
olivertractor
Facebook: what's facebook

Unread postby olivertractor » Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:45 pm

This is how I'm dealing with burnout, my son is ready to be a fishing partner. Can't wait!

"Sad state of affairs when I'm voting for who's gonna hurt us less, than who's gonna help us more"
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:10 pm

The last couple seasons I got work burnout during the bow season. But definitely a good topic
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:23 pm

olivertractor wrote:Image
This is how I'm dealing with burnout, my son is ready to be a fishing partner. Can't wait!

I'm hoping to pull my boat out soon. I'm anxious to get my oldest boy in the boat this summer. I think he will "get it" this year...well at least I hope. :lol:

olivertractor
Facebook: what's facebook

Unread postby olivertractor » Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:06 pm

BassBoysLLP wrote:
olivertractor wrote:Image

I'm hoping to pull my boat out soon. I'm anxious to get my oldest boy in the boat this summer. I think he will "get it" this year...well at least I hope. :lol:

Learning experience for both me and my son as this is my first big water capable boat. I feel the drift from deer hunting and son is just ready to catch big fish as its killing me not to fish the great Lakes when I want

"Sad state of affairs when I'm voting for who's gonna hurt us less, than who's gonna help us more"
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:36 am

bump
WisBowhunter

Unread postby WisBowhunter » Tue Feb 28, 2023 4:40 am

Thanks for the 'bump' on this post Dan. Had not seen this one previously (2016). Very good perspective in your original post. And it could be re-posted yearly with benefits to all who read it IMHO.
Very easy to get blind to our 'priorities' for a balanced life. Thanks again.
Shoot straight, Kill Clean, and apologize to no one.
Southern Buck

Unread postby Southern Buck » Tue Feb 28, 2023 5:07 am

Great thread. Thanks for the bump.
But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name. John 20:31
Hookslinger
500 Club

Unread postby Hookslinger » Tue Feb 28, 2023 6:13 am

Good bump, and definitely something to stop and think about it. It can be tough to make progress, reach our goals, while keeping that balance in life. I wish I was smart enough to start hunting mobile and thinking about these tactics when I was young and single, but I just planted my rear end in a ladder stand season after season. Right now I'm fortunate enough to get quite a bit of scouting and hunting in, but it's always good to remind yourself what your true priorities are. At the end of the day, hunting isn't nearly as enjoyable when your personal/family life isn't in good shape.
gsquared23

Unread postby gsquared23 » Tue Feb 28, 2023 4:46 pm

If I could be single again and hunt/scout 3+ days a week, or stay a family man and get out there 1.5 days a week, I’d pick the latter. Maybe my answer will change my when my kids turn into teenagers
Bowhunting is not for the faint of heart. But fortune favors the bowed.
-db-

Unread postby -db- » Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:14 pm

Great thread/OP. Real Beast stuff.
Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person. - Fred Bear

@upnorthoutdoors989
Lewis1303

Unread postby Lewis1303 » Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:51 pm

Great post! It’s always a good to remember that everything we have in this life is all on loan to us. Be thankful! I love the saying “you’ll never see a hearse pulling a Uhaul trailer”.
"Back in the old days if a man shot a deer he was considered a good hunter. Today if he shoots a deer it is said he has a good deer blind." Some unknown old time Yooper!
szwampdonkey
500 Club

Unread postby szwampdonkey » Wed Mar 01, 2023 4:36 am

At 47 ive mellowed a ton compared to when i was in my teens and twenties. I was beyond obsessed, hunting ruled my life. I even remember when I did a few semesters at UW Whitewater back when i was 18, 19 id leave to go hunt the public around Whitewater when other guys were going to beer parties around town. I would sit in one stand in particular where i could actually see the dorms a few miles away and couldnt help but think i was in a better place sitting in my stand.

But as careers take off, you get married, and in particular have kids, maybe even just simply get older your priorities change. Im glad i had kids later in life cause I am pretty sure id not have been around much had I had kids in my twenties and early thirties. Im still pretty obsessed with hunting and consider it my number 1 priority as far as my past times and hobbies go but it certainly doesnt trump my responsibilities at home as a husband and father. As such, i dont spend nearly the amount of time at it anymore as I did then. That means I dont get quite as many cracks at big bucks as i did back then as i just dont spend the needed time and honestly, im perfectly ok with that. Im good just getting out when i can, taking that one week off a year for myself to just hunt, and killing a nice buck every few years as opposed to maybe every year.

I think time mellows all of us but this post is a good reminder to those younger guys to keep your priorities in perspective if you do have a family in your twenties.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”