Bedding article

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

cbigbear
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/mobilehuntinggear/

Bedding article

Unread postby cbigbear » Sat Feb 27, 2016 3:40 am

Interesting read. A lot in-line with buck bedding discussed here, but odd he hasn't seen the tunnel effect from wind & thermals.

http://www.whitetailhabitatsolutions.co ... -10-spots/

Jackson Marsh

Re: Bedding article

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sat Feb 27, 2016 4:31 am

Good article.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 4:41 am

Jackson Marsh wrote:Good article.

X2

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Feb 27, 2016 4:53 am

Great article. Very informative. 8-)
Mibowfreak
500 Club

Unread postby Mibowfreak » Sat Feb 27, 2016 5:04 am

Dewey wrote:Great article. Very informative. 8-)

I agree.
ozzz

Unread postby ozzz » Sat Feb 27, 2016 5:20 am

Jeffs stuff is very good.

If it bleeds, we can kill it . . . .
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Feb 27, 2016 6:30 am

Interesting for sure.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sat Feb 27, 2016 6:50 am

Good read. Jeff has gotten more advanced since his first book

DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:11 am

He outlines morning bed hunting a lot like i approach it. I think he states he runs about 80% of his bucks are AM bucks approaching bedding which is very close to my own findings. Perhaps it's just the woodsand terrain I hunt, but very few hunters would be able to approach the bedding areas and get closer enough in the PM. It is far easier to get there before they do.

cbigbear

Unread postby cbigbear » Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:34 am

DaveT1963 wrote:He outlines morning bed hunting a lot like i approach it. I think he states he runs about 80% of his bucks are AM bucks approaching bedding which is very close to my own findings. Perhaps it's just the woodsand terrain I hunt, but very few hunters would be able to approach the bedding areas and get closer enough in the PM. It is far easier to get there before they do.

He also states that he is hunting far enough away from food sources that he doesn't get movement until an hr up to 4 hrs after daylight. This sure seems like a low pressure situation to have a buck still on his feet that long after day break.

I'm trying to relate this to my personal situation & how to get far away from a food source when the food source is within yards of the bedding.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Hooks1

Unread postby Hooks1 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:43 am

Thanks for the link.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:57 am

cbigbear wrote:
DaveT1963 wrote:He outlines morning bed hunting a lot like i approach it. I think he states he runs about 80% of his bucks are AM bucks approaching bedding which is very close to my own findings. Perhaps it's just the woodsand terrain I hunt, but very few hunters would be able to approach the bedding areas and get closer enough in the PM. It is far easier to get there before they do.

He also states that he is hunting far enough away from food sources that he doesn't get movement until an hr up to 4 hrs after daylight. This sure seems like a low pressure situation to have a buck still on his feet that long after day break.

I'm trying to relate this to my personal situation & how to get far away from a food source when the food source is within yards of the bedding.

He hunts private land in western Wisconsin hill country. He likes cold fronts first week of November sneaks in the back door early in the morning and waits for the bucks to come in close to bedding off a point or bench. He has said its his best tactic

DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:18 am

I have been saying for a while - pressure does NOT stop AM movement any more then it does PM movement - the bucks just get back to their core areas under darkness. I mean think about it, if a buck feels confident getting up walking around in these "staging" areas before night fall why would he not feel comfortable doing it in the morning? The thing is it is just harder to hunt the beds in the AM and not enough people have done enough scouting/observing to set up properly and in the dark. One thing is for sure, in the AM you HAVE to pay attention to the wind and how a buck will use it. That and your morning ambush spot has to be more precise.

In the evening they tend to get up and head whichever way gets them to where they want to go and wind is not the determining factor. Most mature bucks are NOT going to be that stupid approaching their bed in the AM, they will most of the time scent check it. THIS ACTUALLY MAKES THEM MORE PREDICTABLE IN THE MORNING BECAUSE YOU DO KNOW WHERE THEY ARE HEADING. In the evening you are making an educated guess at best at where they will head. I actually find that big bucks are more relaxed in the morning as they have been undisturbed for the previous evening and are coming home. I.e. they are coming from a more hostile environment (field/feeding area) to what has been for most of their lives a more secure/safe area (core area/bed). There is no doubt it take a lot more studying and leg work to determine morning approaches and you better be paying attention to the wind - but if you are able to figure it out and set up downwind of their morning approach to their bed, I don't think there is any better way to catch a mature buck. And outside of a few gifted hunters and very specific areas (like marshes), the ability to sneak up on a bedded buck and catch him with 75-100 yards of his bed, while he is in it(PM hunt) most do not posses. I think more bucks are busted and sneak out in the PM then what is imagined..... and the hunters are left thinking that he was never there to begin with. No way to know for sure but this much I am absolutely sure of - it is far easier to sneak into a thick bedding area while the buck is someplace else provided you have worked out a solid entry and exit strategy.
cbigbear

Unread postby cbigbear » Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:38 am

I was basing my statement off his video. They did a pretty good job of panning the area & it surly didn't look like secure cover for a buck to be slipping thru in the daylight. Yes it was Feb, but it didn't look to have the stem count to be terrible thick even in Oct. Dave I've also seen your video & that cover does seem to be sufficient for daytime buck movement. I could see daylight movement in your setups but this open hill country seems odd unless low pressure.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:11 am

Dave, That sounds great in theory, and morning bed hunting works awesome for Andrae in the am "on private low pressure"... But, I tried for years to be consistent on morning bucks in bedding areas and outside of rut it was very hard to see daylight movement in most of my areas. In most cases I could hear the bucks crash off out of there beds an hour or two before daylight when I got there, or they would get back before daylight and circle around in the dark till they sensed me... I had some luck, but not near as much as in the evening...

I will say though, that I have seen good daylight morning movement in the big woods settings in Northern Wisconsin. I always figured that was due to being hunted at night by wolves, but not sure... ?

I have sat beds a mile back in a swamp where no one goes and the deer is feeding a mile away and the mature bucks get back before daylight...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”