Observations and a Hypothesis

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

DaveT1963
500 Club

Re: Observations and a Hypothesis

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:43 pm

Good info on the drives Joe. I think we can all agree that what sets a Whitetail apart is they are adaptable and just seem to have better survival insticts/intuition then most critters.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:25 pm

How do you judge what wind direction a deer is using in his bedding? One small lot I hunt the bucks and does bed on the upwind side in the mornings from what I can tell. I have observed bucks and does coming from the north into a south wind in the mornings. They seem to be bedding up against the neighborhood houses (30-60 yards) and looking out over the field. From what I've seen so far they bed more based on sight than wind.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:08 pm

mheichelbech wrote:How do you judge what wind direction a deer is using in his bedding? One small lot I hunt the bucks and does bed on the upwind side in the mornings from what I can tell. I have observed bucks and does coming from the north into a south wind in the mornings. They seem to be bedding up against the neighborhood houses (30-60 yards) and looking out over the field. From what I've seen so far they bed more based on sight than wind.

Great question. I can't give an answer because it is next to impossible for me to tell what the wind is in relationship to a buck bed. This is an eyes on thing and I don't see that many bucks in beds. Not only that but you would have to monitor the bed and who is to say the wind won't change or the buck won't shift positions in the bed?

If we had a lot of data from cameras set up on beds we could develop a pattern. That said not many guys want to set cameras up on beds they hunt. :think: The last buck I saw in a bed entered the bed from down wind he did bed with wind at his back. He stayed for about an hr. Then got up heading back into the wind did a j hook and then headed the other direction with the wind to his back and left the area. This was a 5.5 year old buck. Interesting topic for sure.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:49 pm

All beds are set up based on predators, not just edge beds... Your absolutely right that bucks are setting up watching down wind to see predators coming from down wind...

Beds are not picked "randomly" as most probably think... Bucks pick there beds to survive, and the older and smarter they get, the better they get at it.

Beds are based on smelling predators with wind and thermals, and with hearing approaching danger (in thick) and seeing danger approaching from down wind. Usually its a combination on at least two of these.

And on top of that there needs to be a good escape... Studying beds for nearly 40 years has had me look at a lot of fresh beds and almost always mature bucks are facing down wind, whether its wind or thermals. I have seen them spin there head and look into the wind for long periods when they hear a sound or sense something... and I have seen some rare exceptions.... But for the most part, if a buck leaves an area open for attack where he can't smell or see he don't live to be mature.
TNstalker

Unread postby TNstalker » Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:08 am

I new to finding beds but have found one that was different from what I've heard or seen. The buck is bedded with a sloughs cross crossing from the left front to the tail end and behind that there is a river he is on a point facing north east. The bed faced a gravel road open timber an parking lot where he thought danger would most likely come from. Feel like it was a mature deer because he had every angle cover an I don't know if it is wind specific just yet. At least it's not for our normal winds during season based on where he is at.

Zona
500 Club

Unread postby Zona » Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:48 am

mheichelbech wrote:How do you judge what wind direction a deer is using in his bedding? One small lot I hunt the bucks and does bed on the upwind side in the mornings from what I can tell. I have observed bucks and does coming from the north into a south wind in the mornings. They seem to be bedding up against the neighborhood houses (30-60 yards) and looking out over the field. From what I've seen so far they bed more based on sight than wind.

I see this in the suburbs quite a bit. Housing developments usually mean safety if there the residence are not stomping all over the woods. They will bed in this safe zone regardless of wind.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”