EHD -- heard couple you guys mention it today.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

DaveT1963
500 Club

Re: EHD -- heard couple you guys mention it today.

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:22 am

Southern deer seem to be far more vulnerable. Here in Texas we had severe drought conditions for five years. I am talking major reservoirs down to under 20% full. We did not see an outbreak of EHD. Perhaps the theory of deer building immunity is validated in extreme south?

Mibowfreak
500 Club

Unread postby Mibowfreak » Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:15 am

We went from the EHD outbreak one year to having CWD two years after. The numbers just cant handle it again. But like everyone is saying, the perfect recipe might be brewing for it again. Will be watching the trail cameras really close this summer.
Bigburner

Unread postby Bigburner » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:34 am

We had a severe outbreak in my zones in 2012. I think that year it was in something like 18 or more states. It made into NY which was totally unheard of. I found a little shy of 200 dead deer in 10 days. And we had prolonged summer drought going on our 5th year. Unfortunately, we had record harvest that year and the following year so the numbers took a serious dive. I work for a public agency and we estimated the loss to our herd to be in the 65% range. the recover has been brutal. The EHD has a tendency to peak in 7 year cycles and the deer that where infected and survived have immunity and the does can pass that immunity to the fawns. Some of our does live to be 7-8 years on average on the public land and we have had some that were real old, like thirteen so hopefully it was a good thing for the remainder in the long run.
If you feel like reading here's a little fact sheet. It was put out in 2007 and we put out one 2012 but still some good info.

The record-setting heat and drought are setting the stage for a significant outbreak of Epizootic
Hemorrhagic Disease (EHD) in whitetail deer this year. This deadly viral disease of white tail
deer and other wild ruminants is spread by biting midges (a.k.a. sand gnats, sand flies or no-seeums).
While EHD deaths are common and occur annually, this year deaths have been confirmed
much earlier than normal and in a greater number of areas. Confirmed cases have already been
reported in Alabama, Indiana, Kentucky, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Tennessee,
Virginia and West Virginia for 2007. Because deer that survive are immune for life, enhancing a
herd's immune status through nutritional supplementation is a smart wildlife management tool to
help herds not only survive but to also thrive.

What is EHD?
Epizootic Hemorrhagic Disease is a viral, blood-borne disease that is common in wild ruminants
and usually occurs in late summer and early fall. The virus that causes EHD is closely related to
the one that causes Blue Tongue in domestic livestock and both have similar symptoms. EHD
produces a high fever leading animals to seek water. Scarce water and feed resources this
summer and fall are causing deer to come in closer contact with one another, thus further
encouraging transmission of the disease.

Symptoms of EHD
The severity of an EHD outbreak will be directly related to collective herd immunity. Some deer
infected by EHD exhibit no symptoms while others exhibit symptoms within 7 days including
extensive hemorrhaging and sudden death.
Other EHD Symptoms Include:
* Sick and dead animals found near water
* Swelling of face, tongue, neck and eyelids (see Figure 1)
* Bloody discharges
* Lameness/ Cracked, overgrown hooves (see Figure 2)
* Extensive hemorrhaging in many tissues
* Ulcers in mouth tongue and stomachs
An outbreak of EHD can kill up to 25% of the total herd. Fortunately, there are no known
instances of whole herds being wiped out. Deer who survive infection are immune for life and
does can pass this immunity on to their fawns.
Are EHD Infected Deer Safe to Eat?
EHD does not affect humans and eating meat from infected deer is not dangerous. However,
infected deer may suffer from secondary infections that can taint the meat. Never consume meat
from a deer that is visibly sick.

What Can I Do to Prevent EHD in my Local Deer Herd?
Because EHD is endemic, we cannot prevent outbreaks of EHD. However, through proper
nutritional supplementation, we can give deer the building blocks needed to mount a successful
immune response, thus improving their odds of survival.

How Does Nutrition Affect Immunity?
The immune system is a complex network of organs, tissues and cells that work together to
protect the animal from viruses, bacteria, other microorganisms and toxins. These critical organs
and tissues require adequate intake of essential nutrients in order to function optimally. There is
no question that well-nourished deer are healthier and better able to cope with disease challenges
than poorly nourished deer. Overall nutrition is important for health. Deer need adequate intake
of protein and calories to maintain their body's defenses. Protein or calorie malnutrition, such as
occurs with prolonged starvation, robs the body of its defensive capabilities, depleting white
blood cells as well as crucial immune system proteins. Additionally, several micronutrients such
as selenium, vitamin A, vitamin E, copper and zinc have been shown to play important roles in
immune response.

Providing Proper Nutrition.
Due to the excessive heat and drought in many parts of the country, natural feedstuffs will likely
be in short supply this fall. The late frost that hit many areas this past spring may also affect the
availability of fruits and nuts normally consumed by deer in early to late fall. Also, because of
dry conditions, even cultivated food plots may not provide adequate nutrition this fall. For all of
these reasons, nutritional supplements may literally mean the difference between life and death
for some deer this fall and winter.

Summary
In summary, a significant outbreak of EHD is underway in many of the drought-stricken eastern
states. EHD is a deadly, viral disease of deer and other wild ruminants that is spread by biting
midges. While there is no way to prevent exposure to EHD, well-nourished deer have much
better odds of surviving the disease than malnourished ones. For this reason, it makes good sense
to provide deer with nutritional supplementation.
Montani Semper Liberi
Instagram @formationoutdoors
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:41 pm

The crazy part is EHD was so selective depending on what the water source was. IF you had polluted water on your farm and no good water source, EHD was rampant. Go 1 county over, they may have had just a bit more rain or water sources are better and "what EHD?"
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:47 pm

mainebowhunter wrote:The crazy part is EHD was so selective depending on what the water source was. IF you had polluted water on your farm and no good water source, EHD was rampant. Go 1 county over, they may have had just a bit more rain or water sources are better and "what EHD?"

This was what happened in my area. 8 miles down the road they found over 300 in a township area. Around me nothing. Thing was ,the area had of alot of no hunting areas and a high deer population. Seemed like the areas with high DPSM get diseased with something. Same kind of area they found cwd in Michigan . High DPSM

[ Post made via Android ] Image
moondoondude
500 Club

Unread postby moondoondude » Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:03 pm

Here, and just like everywhere around the country, it can be extremely localized or regional. Sometimes a certain farm gets it bad, sometimes a cluster of farms, and sometimes much larger areas (pretty expansive across the Midwest a few years back).

Unfortunately, the mature animals seem to be affected more often by EHD. I find dozens of dead bucks every year from EHD with the telltale signs - prickly bases that seem to be sharp to the touch being the most obvious since the bucks don't shed velvet or rub before they die. It seems I find just about as many mature animals that die in velvet as I do in hard horn.

mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:57 am

moondoondude wrote:Here, and just like everywhere around the country, it can be extremely localized or regional. Sometimes a certain farm gets it bad, sometimes a cluster of farms, and sometimes much larger areas (pretty expansive across the Midwest a few years back).

Unfortunately, the mature animals seem to be affected more often by EHD. I find dozens of dead bucks every year from EHD with the telltale signs - prickly bases that seem to be sharp to the touch being the most obvious since the bucks don't shed velvet or rub before they die. It seems I find just about as many mature animals that die in velvet as I do in hard horn.

No kidding. I have never hear of it this far east. Learn something new everyday.
bowkill00

Unread postby bowkill00 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:20 am

Does EHD affect any other animals other than deer?

ttsbuck
500 Club

Unread postby ttsbuck » Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:38 am

I went to SE Iowa in 2015. My primary landowner has a creek that runs across his property for about 500 feet. He found 6 mature bucks dead in the creek in that small area. This area was devastated.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:57 am

bowkill00 wrote:Does EHD affect any other animals other than deer?

Most variations are limited to ruminants...sheep, cattle, goats, antelope, buffalo, etc.

Bigb
500 Club

Unread postby Bigb » Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:28 pm

I've leaned that EHD can he very localized too. We have guys 6 miles down the road that have been devastated by it. Where we were at, I don't believe we have been hit by it at all or very little. When it comes to the land we hunt, we have two main steams that flow through it that never go dry. Both are fed by springs that I have never seen run out. Pius, the creels are al gravel beds, no where for the midges to reproduce. I could be completely wrong with this but this is what I believe.

Also, I wouldn't be so quick with the El Nino to say its going to be a dry summer. I think I personally think we are going to have quite a wet summer.
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:18 am

Bigb wrote:I've leaned that EHD can he very localized too. We have guys 6 miles down the road that have been devastated by it. Where we were at, I don't believe we have been hit by it at all or very little. When it comes to the land we hunt, we have two main steams that flow through it that never go dry. Both are fed by springs that I have never seen run out. Pius, the creels are al gravel beds, no where for the midges to reproduce. I could be completely wrong with this but this is what I believe.

Also, I wouldn't be so quick with the El Nino to say its going to be a dry summer. I think I personally think we are going to have quite a wet summer.

Just hope you are right.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”