mature bucks still holding?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

welded34
500 Club

mature bucks still holding?

Unread postby welded34 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:09 pm

Do you think mature bucks are still holding headgear? I feel like bucks 4 years or older should have dropped them now.thoughts?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Ridgerunner7
500 Club

Re: mature bucks still holding?

Unread postby Ridgerunner7 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:14 pm

I can't speak for anyone else but my 3 mature bucks in Michigan that made it, (yes, only 3 made it) have all dropped and all did in early February. I was able to find their sheds. About 50% of the young bucks were still holding.
wickedbruiser
500 Club

Unread postby wickedbruiser » Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:03 pm

As of Saturday, 1 mature buck was still holding here. 2 others shed last week sometime.

Brad

Unread postby Brad » Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:26 pm

Seen a dandy while predator hunting on public land saturday. 4.5 year old or better, good sized body, looked just like he would have all fall. Winter hasnt hurt him a bit , and he was still holding.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:28 pm

I put in over 20 miles in southern Michigan last weekend didn't find one. I think I went a little early I would always find at least a few with that much walking in mid tolate march in the past.Found an awesome dead head tho.

mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:56 pm

Hawthorne wrote:I put in over 20 miles in southern Michigan last weekend didn't find one. I think I went a little early I would always find at least a few with that much walking in mid tolate march in the past.[glow=red]Found an awesome dead head tho[/glow].

I saw that. It was a beauty.
welded34
500 Club

Unread postby welded34 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:08 pm

Last year I found this mature bucks horns I'm after on January 25th. I've went in twice where I found his horns and haven't found them yet. I even jumped him walking in there but never seen him. Just heard him. That's why I was wondering what you guys thought.

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:53 pm

It's about 50/50 from my observations. The next 3 weeks should put the majority on the ground. I always figure around the 15th of March to get serious in looking.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
moondoondude
500 Club

Unread postby moondoondude » Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:43 pm

In my healthy areas with access to food, most are still holding.

In certain areas they have dropped, and in others they have not. There are a lot of factors which play into that but most of the time it is dependent on the property and the characteristics of the property itself as well as the deer herd there.

wickedbruiser
500 Club

Unread postby wickedbruiser » Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:37 am

moondoondude wrote:In my healthy areas with access to food, most are still holding.

In certain areas they have dropped, and in others they have not. There are a lot of factors which play into that but most of the time it is dependent on the property and the characteristics of the property itself as well as the deer herd there.

I read up on some details on why they hold longer. Overall, bucks that are healthier hold longer. Healthier bucks mean good habitat. So, if you see majority of your bucks holding later, you're hunting good habitat. There are other factors but the status of habitat is said to be the main determination on when they shed.

Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:15 am

Still holding mostly around here from what I've seen and heard from others. MDD you had mentioned in another thread that you like to shed hunt right after it rains because of the bucks shaking off water. We're gonna have rain three days in a row so I'm thinking maybe this weekend I could find some sheds...we'll see.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
Wapiti

Unread postby Wapiti » Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:45 am

I shed hunted last Saturday and found one fresh one. Still seeing bucks, including some good ones, holding while glassing fields every few evenings.
ZSV
500 Club

Unread postby ZSV » Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:09 am

About a week ago I had a group of 5 suburban bucks go through my backyard and all were still holding. 2 of them looked to be mature...

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
“I only live once, I will not die a coward “ - Bishop Mar Mari Emmanuel
ozzz

Unread postby ozzz » Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:24 am

My birthday is St Patricks day, March 17. Seems like a pretty good time to start really looking and ideally the snow is melting by then too.

If it bleeds, we can kill it . . . .
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:51 am

I never like to go looking too early. If you push the deer off your property the drops can end up where you cant go and find them. The dropping process is not a one and done deal. It is an occurrence that lasts over a good couple of months. Every year is a little different. But you can pretty much bank on January 15th through March 15 for most to drop.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”