Accurate Wayne National Forest map?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Matt6506

Re: Accurate Wayne National Forest map?

Unread postby Matt6506 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:57 am

You may also try calling the local offices for info, the forest service has offices for the Wayne in Marietta, Athens, and ironton. I worked out of the Marietta office for 2 summers while in college. Its a big area. Its mostly broken up farm ground that has been donated over the years so it quite checkerboarded. However being so broken up it makes for some overlooked hotspots. My favorite thing about the national forest is that you can camp where you want, I plan on doing a wilderness bow. Hunt where I camp for a week and the Wayne is at the top of my list. I live about 30 mins north of Marietta so I'm quite familiar with it

[ Post made via Android ] Image

“Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.”
- Fred Bear
gjs4
500 Club

Unread postby gjs4 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:43 pm

I went down to Ohio last Friday...Ironton was one of the chunks that was on the radar initially but we opted to stay midstate (N&S) and avoid the heavily hit areas... seems like although the state is mobbed good opportunity remains.

Would love to hear what you find at Wayne.

For the record- PAs state land maps are amazing, not sure on their hunting though
Green and growing... Or red and rotting
the g1

Unread postby the g1 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:16 pm

http://www.arcgis.com/features/
Go to this link and click on Map at the top. When The map opens click modify map in the top right corner. A add data button will appear on the left side of the map. Click the add data button and search Wayne National forest. Scroll to the bottom of the list and you will see layer from g1gis. I did one for each of the 3 federal forest zones that cover multiple counties. I also added state forest layers for Zaleski and Hockings state forest. The transparency is set at 80% so you will want the basemape set to Imagery. When you zoom in close the parcels boundaries show up really good while not making the imagery hard to see. Hope this Helps.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:30 pm

mainebowhunter wrote:I will be interested to see what you find. Are you looking to hunt the big timber wayne national or smaller broke up pieces of wayne national?

It doesn't matter. Whatever looks the best that I can find affordable lodging by.

the g1 wrote:http://www.arcgis.com/features/
Go to this link and click on Map at the top. When The map opens click modify map in the top right corner. A add data button will appear on the left side of the map. Click the add data button and search Wayne National forest. Scroll to the bottom of the list and you will see layer from g1gis. I did one for each of the 3 federal forest zones that cover multiple counties. I also added state forest layers for Zaleski and Hockings state forest. The transparency is set at 80% so you will want the basemape set to Imagery. When you zoom in close the parcels boundaries show up really good while not making the imagery hard to see. Hope this Helps.

Thanks, I will check it out when I get off here.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:20 pm

the g1 wrote:http://www.arcgis.com/features/

I didn't get the add data button.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
mbucks27

Unread postby mbucks27 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:43 am

What area are you looking for exactly. I hunted the wayne national forest a few years ago and did a lot of research ono that area.

John
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:00 am

I'm just looking for all the exact boundaries so I can start searching for hot spots.
the g1

Unread postby the g1 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:43 pm

http://www.esri.com/software/arcgis/exp ... p/download

This is good, free mapping software.
I always read the post related to maps and want to help, but probably just cause confusion. All the layers you guy want are usually simple shapefiles that can be found free. States have geographic data libraries that have tons of free data. Property boundaries are often kept at a county level, but if you ask the county GIS person they will email the parcel data shapefile free just explain that it is for personal use and you are not going to try and make parcel maps to sell. This software link would give you the ability to open these free files. Like I said, just trying to help.

The downside to this software is you cant really change the layers, but if you find the shapefile you want and need help getting what you want out of it I can help.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”