Accurate Wayne National Forest map?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Accurate Wayne National Forest map?

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:00 pm

Dose anyone know where to get an Accurate Wayne National Forest map? Every map I have looked at has been whoa-fully inaccurate. They show 1,000's of acres of private land as Wayne National Forest land. It is hard to believe there aren't accurate maps showing the property lines. Scouring plat books or other third party software trying to find all the Wayne National Forest land land boundaries would take a very long time vs just having a map of the exact boundries.

You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
Ridgerunner7
500 Club

Re: Accurate Wayne National Forest map?

Unread postby Ridgerunner7 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:14 pm

I use my onxmaps for Wayne. Seems pretty accurate to me.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
CallMeFishmael

Unread postby CallMeFishmael » Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:38 am

I ordered my topos from the National Forest Service Office responsible for the Wayne. They have them shaded for public vs private. Each chunk of the Wayne is split into several maps. I have 6 of the maps from the Ironton district. When I scouted it, they seemed pretty accurate. Here is a link to the various sections available. I sent in an order form and a chec, but can't find the link to the form now. But it looks like the have a new on-line store.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/detailfull/wayne ... width=full

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:39 am

I found it difficult to navigate property lines as the intertwined private/public was not marked well.

Not sure if you can afford the time to pre-scout/turkey hunt spring but this will help solve some disputes. Get in touch with a game warden they may be great help with determining. ..

Spysar has hunted in that area, maybe look him up for some input.
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:47 am

Thanks guys. I may have to get the Onxmaps for my PC and then later when I have it narrowed down I may get some maps from the National Forest Service. I talked to the National Forest Service a couple times by email and earlier today by phone to basically find out that I will have to buy a bunch of maps if I want to find out from them where all the exact boundries to the Wayne are.

There are advantages to having to pay, but it annoys me to no end that the public should have to pay to find land that they already paid to have access to. It's like having to pay for access to public land. The National Forest Service has received Billions and they could easily put accurate downloadable maps on a web page. I'm a man of principle and for me it's not even so much the money I find so irritating as it is that tax payers have to pay $320 or more for maps to effectively use the land they already paid for and continue to pay for. Or to pay for third party software like Onx just to find where it's all at. It all just seems ridiculous. The Wayne is poorly marked as well which dosen't help any.

I guess it wouldn't be so bad if the county GIS systems in Ohio were more user friendly and I suppose it doesn't help that I'm so picky either. I like to cover everything so I can find the best of the best which makes me want to find every nook and cranny.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:00 am

Edcyclopedia wrote:I found it difficult to navigate property lines as the intertwined private/public was not marked well.

Not sure if you can afford the time to pre-scout/turkey hunt spring but this will help solve some disputes. Get in touch with a game warden they may be great help with determining. ..

Spysar has hunted in that area, maybe look him up for some input.

Good idea Ed, but not something I will do. When it comes to turkey hunting I found it's futile for me to go because I always end up spending all my time scouting for deer. :lol: So I will just go down and scout without any intent to turkey hunt. I had hoped to go down there scouting in a month or so, but I have a ton of cyber scouting to do between now and then.

I have talked to biologists in the past and will be talking to game wardens when I narrow things down a bit.
the g1

Unread postby the g1 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:28 am

Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:28 pm

Lance, just curious, when you get to the game warden what are some questions you may have?

Just thought a list of questions may help others when they interact with game wardens.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
tcjohnsonjacks

Unread postby tcjohnsonjacks » Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:50 pm

This is a link to the Forest Service ineractive map. If you toggle between the different views you can find what is federal ownership. You can also see what roads are open for vehicle travel, and stuff like that

http://www.fs.fed.us/ivm/
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:54 pm

Uncle Lou wrote:Lance, just curious, when you get to the game warden what are some questions you may have?

Just thought a list of questions may help others when they interact with game wardens.

Let me help...
1) Be nice and compliment his attire...
2) Tell him he has an awesome truck...
3) Alert him of his hard work and not anybody can be a GW, he's special...
4) Ask him if he has been working out cause his pectorals are outstanding, of course tell him you're not gay, not that there's anything wrong with that...
5) Get him in a headlock and give him a righteous nouggy if he doesn't give up the gps location to the hotspots.
6) All else fails, grip his forearm like there's no tomorrow and Indian sunburn into submission.

These lessons, I share, is for the wealth of our sport!

Yes UL, I am the game warden wisperer...

Lance, please feel free to fill in the less obvious...

I digress. ..

Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
the g1

Unread postby the g1 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:43 pm

I am working on making a map of the federal and state land for the Wayne National Forest. It is big, so if you have a specific county you are interested in let me know and I will try to get a map of that county together.

Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:25 pm

The first year I hunted Ohio I walked into a dnr office for info and I was wearing a U of M hat. Well it was right after Michigan beat them at football. The CO said I had some nerve wearing that in here. He was cool tho and actually gave us some good advice.

DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:38 pm

Uncle Lou wrote:Lance, just curious, when you get to the game warden what are some questions you may have?

The first thing I do is get on his good side by pretending to mistake him for Ed. Then I apologize for the mistake and tell him it was because he seemed like the studly lady killer type so it was a natural mistake. Once I have done this it's all pretty smooth sailing and the premo top secret information starts flowing freely. ;)

Aside from that what I ask is mostly based on filling in any holes I have in my knowledge of the area. I don't grill him. I just try to keep it a light, friendly, appreciative, easy going conversation like if I was talking to a land owner, but yet keep it relatively focused to get the information I need before the conversation gets too old. I tell him or her I'm looking for old bucks. The older the better. I ask where the best place to find the biggest buck is and if there are any spots that tend to be overlooked. I want to know where the most big bucks have been coming from in recent years and where the biggest of the big tend to come from. I also want to know why he thinks they are coming from the areas they are. I ask if there is anywhere I can get away from others. I ask about all the access points to see if there are any places I can get away from people by simply walking or because of water that at least requires hip boots or because of private property that I would have to walk around. Sometimes what shows up as a road leading into an otherwise remote area turns out to be an impassable trail because the road is washed out, has a bad spot that would need a monster truck to get through it or is gated off. I ask about preferred food sources and if their are extra special food sources like persimmons, wild pears, apples or oaks (or white oaks) etc in an area that is otherwise devoid of such food sources I ask where those patches or individual trees are. I ask if there are any big areas of impenetrable brush, any marshes, red brush, tall prairie grass, clear cuts, areas of blow downs from high winds, burned areas, etc. I try to get the bulk of the questions out of the way early and then make it more easy going. Sometimes they will tell me about somewhere in a different part of the state they think would be really good and much better than anywhere in their area. I also ask if he deer hunts and if so I try to determine if what type of deer he is looking for and happy with because that could affect his answers somewhat. When I go down to hunt I will also ask if he has seen or heard of any exceptional bucks while out in the field recently.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:14 pm

Thanks for the links guys.

the g1 wrote:I am working on making a map of the federal and state land for the Wayne National Forest. It is big, so if you have a specific county you are interested in let me know and I will try to get a map of that county together.

I sent you a PM.
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:18 am

I will be interested to see what you find. Are you looking to hunt the big timber wayne national or smaller broke up pieces of wayne national?

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”