Franz buck:.. Charges cleared

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dreaming bucks

Franz buck:.. Charges cleared

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:23 am

Great news!
http://outdooroverload.com/joe-franz-fo ... ting-case/

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Hawthorne
500 Club

Re: Franz buck:.. Charges cleared

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:32 am

That's good.

Outdoor814
500 Club

Unread postby Outdoor814 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:35 am

I remember reading about this and watching a YouTube video a couple months ago. It's a nice buck.

Joe™
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:36 am

Here the story is told from a friend of his... Great read...
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... d=16918714

Justice For Franz VERDICT- INNOCENT!

On October 12th, 2014, a friend of mine, Joe Franz, killed a whitetail that most of us only dream about. One of my best friends, Derek Wilkerson, who has been a team member of Trophy Pursuit since day 1, filmed the hunt. A few weeks later, we aired the footage of the Franz buck, one of the largest whitetails to have ever been killed on video. This deer was special, and we felt very fortunate to have had the opportunity to share the story with the world. This deer deserved to be seen everyone, those who hunted as well who those who did not.

Nearly a year later, in September of 2015, Joe was charged with baiting by
Iowa DNR Officer, Eric Hoffman. Obviously, this was a huge shock to me. Not only had I seen the footage of the whitetail being shot, but I knew that one of my best friends, Derek, would do nothing to put himself in an unethical or illegal situation to kill a whitetail.

Being a certified law enforcement officer myself, I knew not to jump to conclusions, but to instead look at the facts from both sides of the case. Those of you who follow Trophy Pursuit understand that filling tags is just a small portion of what we do, and that ethics, morals, team work, education, and introducing youth are what we truly base our company standards on.

As the weeks went by, I used my resources to gather facts about the case from both sides of the spectrum (IDNR & Franz/Derek). It was a short time later that I fully realized that the Iowa DNR overstepped their boundaries, and charged an individual without any clear cut evidence days before the statute of limitations expired. Even more disturbing is that they continued to investigate the case for weeks and months after the charges had already been filed! Keep in mind that this was a simple misdemeanor. This is poor law enforcement on many accounts.

I spoke with officers from police departments, sheriff’s departments, and officers employed by the state patrol and even IDNR, who all agreed that the IDNR made a mistake and that there was not even close to enough evidence to garner a charge. Until today, I have chosen to bite my tongue. I have chosen to stay silent. However, the time is now for the truth.

Joe Franz purchased an 80 acre farm in the summer of 2014. There were two mineral sites on this farm. Joe never once put mineral in these sites. In fact, Joe placed a camera on the mineral site closest to where he later killed the big buck and that showed that the buck he later killed had never once visited it, and the other site, had only been visited twice and that was in August.

However, Franz still wanted to do things the right way, so he contacted the INDR. Franz contacted IDNR Officer Eric Hoffman multiple times in the coming months, and in late September, Franz asked Hoffman what the best course of action would be to legally hunt a food plot that had a mineral site near it. Hoffman stated to cover the site or to fill it in, and that all would be fine.

A few days later, Franz purchased two tarps as well as tent stakes, and Franz and Derek covered up the mineral sites with the tarps before the season started in Iowa. The receipts for these items were provided to the judge, as were the phone records of the conversations with IDNR Officer Hoffman. On October 12th, nearly two weeks later, Franz killed the giant buck that was feeding in a clover food plot that was planted months before.

Seven days went by after Franz harvested the deer before he returned to the farm. Franz noticed that water had collected on the tarps and they were stressing the corner stakes so Joe decided that it would be best to add additional coverage in the form of plywood to the tarps to add to the structural integrity.

In March, Joe brought his son-in-law down to the farm to shed hunt, and they uncovered the mineral sites as he realized that the deer would once again benefit from the mineral after the rut and a hard winter.

Sometime in April, the IDNR tip line received a statement that there was an uncovered mineral site near the box blind in which Joe shot the buck from. It is still unclear as to where this complaint came from.

After receiving the anonymous tip, the IDNR went to Joe’s property and found the plywood that was now pulled off of the mineral sites. The plywood had barcodes on it that told it’s purchase date, which was after the buck was killed, however, they did not take into consideration or BELIEVE that tarps were over the mineral sites prior to the deer being shot. This was information that both Joe and Derek had previously disclosed in their initial testimony to IDNR officers. In fact, google earth shows the tarps covering the mineral sites near the same time frame that the deer was shot. The IDNR Officers also took soil from Joes’ farm without a search warrant.

I want you all to know that I sat through the entire court trial. I heard testimony from both sides and I am stating the facts of the case. In fact, there were three other law enforcement officers at the trial that day that spoke to me later and stated that they could not believe charges had even been filed.

I also want all to know that the majority of the IDNR is full of good employees, who care about the resource and the outdoorsman. However, the time is now for these IDNR employees to step up to the plate and to show leadership and stand up for what is right. It’s discouraging to me how many employees of the IDNR spoke to me as well as other friends of mine during this process and stated that they did not believe in the decision of their own department or the fact that charges were pressed against Joe. My question for those employees is this; If you knew the outcome now, would you have voiced your concerns more publically to your department then?

Each and every one of us make our own beds. The court has spoken. Justice has been served, and Franz is innocent. The IDNR and many others have not only tarnished Franz’s name and reputation, but have created a financial hardship for him and his family throughout the process, which forced him to sell his land to pay for the costs associated with this trial.

Also the whitetail he killed is still not hanging on his wall, but instead is in the hands of the IDNR. It’s time that his buck returns home, and that Franz can once again admire what is rightfully his. It’s time that we as sportsman stick up for one another, and that the IDNR fixes the issues within their department so that no Iowa Sportsman will ever have to go through a situation again like Franz has endured. It is also in my humble opinion that Franz should receive an apology from the IDNR, as that at minimum will show that there is some remorse in the current situation that they created.
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:47 am

Wow, and he had to sell the land to pay for the court fees. He really got the shaft. Hope he gets his buck back soon.

“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:36 am

Should start a Go Fund Me to help with legal bills. Also feel like sportsman organizations should have stood up for him. This kind of law enforcement abuse by over zealous DNR officers goes on all over. It amazes me how they forget that they are hired to protect and serve the public, their salaries are paid for by public funds. Honestly, most DNR officers scare me and I don't trust them. The ones I have encountered seem to lack any common sense with respect to application of the law. They all seem to be the type who would ticket their grandmother for going 5 mph over the speed limit. I have heard a lot of people say these kind of DNR officers are in the minority. I do not believe that. It seems to me, to be an institutionalized attitude that occurs nationwide. I'm not saying there are not good ones with common sense but I've yet to meet any.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:40 am

Good to hear that finally got cleared up.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:07 am

:clap: :clap: :clap:
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Hooks1

Unread postby Hooks1 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:40 am

I'm glad that the final outcome was right. The charges were bogus and no common sense was applied by the enforcing agency. It's also amazing the jealousy that occurs over a large set of antlers.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:50 am

It sure seemed like a BS charge when the initial charges happened. I'm glad he was cleared, but the cost for the hunter must have been ridiculous.

mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:23 am

A guy shouldn't have to sell his property to defend himself like that....sometimes I feel like we are not as free as we think we are in this country....it's way too easy sometimes for law enforcement or a prosecutor to ruin someone. In my view, if a person is found not guilty, the prosecuting government should reimburse the defendants legal costs.

A guy has to sell his property to defend himself over a deer and he is innocent?!!? Fascism at its finest!

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
IkemanTx
500 Club

Unread postby IkemanTx » Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:34 am

I would try and subpoena for the tipster's name and sue for damages. False allegations are false allegations.

Go where none other dare to go, and there you'll find success.
rbuckleyjr1
500 Club

Unread postby rbuckleyjr1 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:58 am

Glad he was cleared. With all the crap the comes with killing a world class animal I'm not sure I would ever want to shoot one...
SRWbowhunter

Unread postby SRWbowhunter » Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:25 am

Good to hear

headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:27 pm

Pretty terrible he had to sell his land.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”