BEAST CHALLENGE - knocking on doors

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Brad

Re: BEAST CHALLENGE - knocking on doors

Unread postby Brad » Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:22 pm

I just thought of another angle that might work. Around here most of the farms heat with the outdoor wood burners. I think if a guy offered to help cut wood a few weekends of the year, he would get a lot further than offering to help with field work. I think a lot of farmers are reluctant to put a stranger in a $ peice of equipment, but I bet they sure would appreciate a months supply of firewood or something similar.

droptine84

Unread postby droptine84 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:24 pm

I usually asked at least that much every year with about 80% telling me NO or that they have family that hunts it. With that being said the 20% Has some great deer and turkeys on the land. I make time to help them through out the year so they know I really do appreciate the generosity for allowing me to hunt the land most have worked so hard for. But I will add another 40 to the list and see how it turns out. Who knows I might bump it to 25%-30% for the 2016 season.
isitseasonyet?
500 Club

Unread postby isitseasonyet? » Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:45 pm

I'm 1 for 1 so far.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:18 am

Today, took the afternoon -- decided to go knock on a door that would give me a much better wind access to this small 10-15 acre urban spot. Stopped, knocked on the door. It became quite evident it was an elderly woman. It took her a while to reach the door. I almost turned and left as I was not sure she even heard me.

I am glad I didn't!

She came to the door...we started to chat. I ended up getting permission. In the process of the conversation, I asked her about "Bobby" ....she started to tear up. Bobby was a friend of mine that lost his battle to cancer 3yrs ago. I just became friends with him year or 2 before he died. He had blood cancer but did quite well with the treatments. He had been on the treatments for 5-6yrs. 3yrs ago, I stopped by to see how his deer season had gone. 1 month later, he died.

She said to me "yes, that was my son." She invited me in and I sat there and chatted with her for probably 45 minutes or so. She talked and cried and laughed...she lives by herself and turns 90 on monday.

It won't be the last time I chat with her...it was such a treat to sit and chat with her. There is way more to life than just deer hunting. Thought about some of the things that have been written lately on the beast. All this woman really has left that means anything...is family and friends.

After we chatted, I headed to the woods and spent 2hrs cleaning out 2 apple trees in a bedding area. This small piece of urban has had some big bucks in it in the passed. This season, there was a 2yr old living there...jumped him out of his bed. Got pics of him. Hopefully, he made it and turned into a 3.5. Couple years back, a buddy of mine, newbie, hunted here and missed a nice 10pt 2x. He no longer hunts there.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:41 pm

It sounds like an exceptional day mainebowhunter. I'm sure the time you took to visit with her meant a lot.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
Archerperu

Unread postby Archerperu » Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:02 am

im not from this country originally and my accent makes it harder to go out and knock people doors, I guess is a lack of confidence and fear of somebody shutting the door on my face. I am getting a plat book and a friend of mine will help me to find few locations so I can try to ask permission. Let's see how it goes!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:03 am

Brad wrote:I think a lot of farmers are reluctant to put a stranger in a $ peice of equipment, but I bet they sure would appreciate a months supply of firewood or something similar.

As far as driving a $200,000 tractor with a $50,000 digger behind it, yeah I don't think many will put a stranger in their rig. If you keep in contact with the landowner, after a few years you won't be a stranger anymore.

I do agree manual labor (splitting firewood, etc) is greatly appreciated. They don't want to do it themselves, and they surely don't want to pay someone to do it for them.

I'm in the process of gathering my 40 landowners' names and addresses. I am surprised how many aren't local. Some don't even live in MN! I'm going to have a list of landowners that I will visit in person, and the rest I will write letters to.

Looks like we've had a few members get granted permission! That's awesome.

This is a GREAT time to ask permission. It's spring and people are enjoying the milder temperatures, and the farmers aren't busy in the field yet. When they're busy planting they won't want to be bothered. Ask now.

Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:04 am

Archerperu wrote:im not from this country originally and my accent makes it harder to go out and knock people doors, I guess is a lack of confidence and fear of somebody shutting the door on my face. I am getting a plat book and a friend of mine will help me to find few locations so I can try to ask permission. Let's see how it goes!

Good luck!

mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:47 am

If I had to guess, my success rates getting permission to bowhunt are going to be quite a bit higher than most. Its just the place that live. Low populations of people, low deer numbers and lots of woods. No leasing. Very little public ground. Your only trespassing if its posted. So most times, you never have a piece of property all to yourself.

People actually appreciate someone asking permission.
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:53 pm

When knocking on a door, you got to get them at the right time. If they are busy and you interupt them its a tough sell. I have stopped by when they are out and had luck. Been so long since I have done it.

Now 100% unless I see them outside, I am writing a letter. Handwritten envelope, contact information and asking them to contact me at their convenience. I have gotten good responses that way, just been a long time since I have done that too.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:01 pm

I went 0 for 3 today. I met some nice people regardless.

Robert

Unread postby Robert » Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:43 pm

2 for 2 today

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:45 pm

Congrats robert. That's great!

Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:55 pm

Robert wrote:2 for 2 today

8-) Keep going! You never know when a spot doesn't pan out. I had one a few years ago that looked great on an aerial but was overrun by the neighbors dogs.

I spent a bunch of time on GIS today and ended up copy and pasting 53 landowner names and addresses. Took about an hour total. Now i'm coming up with a game plan on which ones to visit and when.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:29 pm

Lockdown wrote:
Robert wrote:2 for 2 today

8-) Keep going! You never know when a spot doesn't pan out. I had one a few years ago that looked great on an aerial but was overrun by the neighbors dogs.

I spent a bunch of time on GIS today and ended up copy and pasting 53 landowner names and addresses. Took about an hour total. Now i'm coming up with a game plan on which ones to visit and when.

That's quite the list! Also sounds like a lot of driving! I assume they are all in state?

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”