BEAST CHALLENGE - knocking on doors

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

DaveT1963
500 Club

Re: BEAST CHALLENGE - knocking on doors

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:54 am

Down around this area you don't get permission.... You lease it or you don't get on it.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:21 am

DaveT1963 wrote:Down around this area you don't get permission.... You lease it or you don't get on it.

I heard that about Texas...crazy. Huge state with limited opportunities unless you have deep pockets.
Hooks1

Unread postby Hooks1 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:29 pm

mainebowhunter wrote:
DaveT1963 wrote:Down around this area you don't get permission.... You lease it or you don't get on it.

I heard that about Texas...crazy. Huge state with limited opportunities unless you have deep pockets.

Same here in Louisiana, unless you have a friend with land.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:38 pm

I think that is the trend everywhere. If you can get some income on timber ground, pretty hard to get on for free.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:48 pm

Im a public land junkie for now. Would love to hunt some private though but every time i ask permission it feels like toture to me even though i have had some neat conversations. Working up the nerve to go ask is the worst part for me, just doesn't feel right.

“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:13 pm

hunter_mike wrote:Im a public land junkie for now. Would love to hunt some private though but every time i ask permission it feels like toture to me even though i have had some neat conversations. [glow=red]Working up the nerve[/glow] to go ask is the worst part for me, just doesn't feel right.

I know what you mean.

Here's my angle. Are you a decent person? Are you a likeable guy? Well then what do you have to lose? You even said you have had "some neat conversations".

The whole point of this thread is to encourage people to break out of their shell and go for it.

I can guarantee no landowner closes the door and thinks to them self, "CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT GUY!?!?!?! HE COMES UP TO MY HOUSE AND ASKS ME TO HUNT DEER ON MY LAND!! WHAT A &$@#!*%!!!" Then slams the door in outrage. I understand that in certain parts of the country getting free access doesn't happen. That said, in a good bit of the country it does.
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:54 pm

Here where I live, 100% is effective. I bet I get 90% yes. Now, its Maine, not Iowa, so no one is clammering over a piece of ground with giant bucks on it. No one leased ground here. Its unheard off. And most times, the only reason I ask is to get the access I need. If I can access a spot without permission, that is the route I take.

Its definitely a different way of life here hunting wise...
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:36 am

Lockdown wrote:
hunter_mike wrote:Im a public land junkie for now. Would love to hunt some private though but every time i ask permission it feels like toture to me even though i have had some neat conversations. [glow=red]Working up the nerve[/glow] to go ask is the worst part for me, just doesn't feel right.

I know what you mean.

Here's my angle. Are you a decent person? Are you a likeable guy? Well then what do you have to lose? You even said you have had "some neat conversations".

The whole point of this thread is to encourage people to break out of their shell and go for it.

I can guarantee no landowner closes the door and thinks to them self, "CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT GUY!?!?!?! HE COMES UP TO MY HOUSE AND ASKS ME TO HUNT DEER ON MY LAND!! WHAT A &$@#!*%!!!" Then slams the door in outrage. I understand that in certain parts of the country getting free access doesn't happen. That said, in a good bit of the country it does.

:lol: good points. I will admit i am a bit pessimistic about the whole thing, asking for permission. The coolest experience I had asking for permission was an old farmer. He ended up letting me turkey hunt. He thought it was cool that I was trying to get one with a bow. I think he was having fun talking to me and he showed me his machine shop where he was making a rifle barrel, pretty cool dude.
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
fishlips
500 Club

Unread postby fishlips » Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:32 am

Found a spot this weekend that I may have to ask for turkey hunting permission.

How do you guys go about finding places to get permission? I think the thing with knocking on tons of doors is that I would be concerned that I am spending a lot of time getting access to properties that may not be better than property I already have access to. If you are going out and knocking on tons of doors, are you screening the properties you want access to? What intel do you have on them before you show up?
Haus86

Unread postby Haus86 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:52 am

I used to hate knocking on doors. I decided that if I wanted something better, I had to get out of my comfort zone. I am so grateful that I did. I have made great life long relationships along the way, and I now have the privilege to hunt some amazing ground. Persistence is the key. It was a no from the landowner initially, but after 5 years of establishing a relationship, I was finally able to get exclusive rights on one of the most beautiful farms in the area. To top it off, we have become the best of friends.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:57 am

fishlips wrote:Found a spot this weekend that I may have to ask for turkey hunting permission.

How do you guys go about finding places to get permission? I think the thing with knocking on tons of doors is that I would be concerned that I am spending a lot of time getting access to properties that may not be better than property I already have access to. If you are going out and knocking on tons of doors, are you screening the properties you want access to? What intel do you have on them before you show up?

Cyber scouting. Summer glassing. I know for a fact a property is worthy of my time before I ever knock on their door.

I think I mentioned it earlier, but this year I'm concentrating on riverbottoms. I'm doing this because it is an easy terrain feature to read. I follow the river along, and only make notes of properties that have nice oxbows and decent cover. If the property looks open with a strait river, I skip it.

If I was looking for swamp/marsh type property, I would only pick the properties that had the terrain features I'm looking for.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:01 am

Haus86 wrote:I used to hate knocking on doors. I decided that if I wanted something better, I had to get out of my comfort zone. I am so grateful that I did. I have made great life long relationships along the way, and I now have the privilege to hunt some amazing ground. Persistence is the key. It was a no from the landowner initially, but after 5 years of establishing a relationship, I was finally able to get exclusive rights on one of the most beautiful farms in the area. To top it off, we have become the best of friends.

^^^^ THIS

Thanks for posting Haus...

The same friends who split firewood for one landowner also drive tractor a couple times each fall for a different landowner. For free. Not a bad trade, right? The farmer also plants 3 different food plots (they are all miles apart from each other) for my friends. He doesn't even charge them for the seed, he just says "you owe me again Zach!" So Zach rips ground for him.

Like Haus' situation, they will be lifelong friends. A couple weeks ago they went to North Dakota, speared northerns and drank beer. That is what knocking on doors can get you.

mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:25 am

Lockdown wrote:
fishlips wrote:Found a spot this weekend that I may have to ask for turkey hunting permission.

[glow=red]Cyber scouting. Summer glassing. I know for a fact a property is worthy of my time before I ever knock on their door.[/glow]

I think I mentioned it earlier, but this year I'm concentrating on riverbottoms. I'm doing this because it is an easy terrain feature to read. I follow the river along, and only make notes of properties that have nice oxbows and decent cover. If the property looks open with a strait river, I skip it.

If I was looking for swamp/marsh type property, I would only pick the properties that had the terrain features I'm looking for.

Yep, same approach I take. Spent 2 different scouting times on this piece of ground over the past week. Probably logged close to 8+ miles scouting it.
Stopped by today, farmer was on his tractor. Chatted for a few minutes. Permission was granted. I asked him where to park and told him he will be seeing a lot of me as I spend a lot of time scouting. So scored on great piece of ground today. I am sure there are guys gun hunting it. BUT I should have the place all to myself in October.

Always love scoring new ground. Good stuff.
cedarsavage
500 Club
Facebook: No facebook

Unread postby cedarsavage » Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:42 am

I don't really like doing it unless I know the person. When I lived in mn I got about 25 nos in a row for deer hunting. In the spring I was turkey hunting with my buddy, headed to a different spot and saw a couple nice toms in some guys garden, and sarcastically said he should ask if he could shoot one of those turkeys in the guys yard. He thought I was serious and pulled in the driveway and told the guy he just got out of the service and just moved there which was all true, and the guy took pity on him and let us hunt behind his house. An hour later he killed a nice Tom. So sometimes it pans out, I think just getting out of the service really helped him.

Mibowfreak
500 Club

Unread postby Mibowfreak » Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:18 pm

Lockdown wrote:

Cyber scouting. Summer glassing. I know for a fact a property is worthy of my time before I ever knock on their door.

Exactly!!!

I find myself knocking on doors of land owners that are adjacent to land I already have permission on. A bunch of small tracts put together can make a nice big huntable piece. This has worked well for me.

This is awesome though guys. I thought I was doing something knocking on 10-12 doors a year. Time to step it up for me. First door last week, was a YES for permission!!!!! Not a huge piece, but it butts up to another piece I already have permission on. Maybe just use it for access. Time will tell.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”