BEAST CHALLENGE - knocking on doors

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Mibowfreak
500 Club

Re: BEAST CHALLENGE - knocking on doors

Unread postby Mibowfreak » Thu May 05, 2016 1:19 am

Just got my second yes for a brand new piece this week. Headed there Friday to put boots on the ground. Not a huge piece, but it has everything to be the right in the big picture.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Thu May 05, 2016 11:07 am

Mibowfreak wrote:Just got my second yes for a brand new piece this week. Headed there Friday to put boots on the ground. Not a huge piece, but it has everything to be the right in the big picture.

That's awesome news man! Nice work! You're not the only one who got some good news. Got 3 letter responses today.. 2 no's and 1 yes. It's a grove next to some public that I hunt! It's one of the few non-riverbottom spots I requested permission for. Still a good spot because it's better bedding than the public.

His only request is I stay out a couple weeks prior to gun season. NOT A PROBLEM. He also said I might not be interested if I'm a trophy hunter because there aren't any big ones in there. Little does he know, that isn't true. I watched a 130's buck run out of there in 2013.

mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Thu May 05, 2016 1:47 pm

Lockdown wrote:
Mibowfreak wrote:Just got my second yes for a brand new piece this week. Headed there Friday to put boots on the ground. Not a huge piece, but it has everything to be the right in the big picture.

That's awesome news man! Nice work! You're not the only one who got some good news. Got 3 letter responses today.. 2 no's and 1 yes. It's a grove next to some public that I hunt! It's one of the few non-riverbottom spots I requested permission for. Still a good spot because it's better bedding than the public.

His only request is I stay out a couple weeks prior to gun season. NOT A PROBLEM. He also said I might not be interested if I'm a trophy hunter because there aren't any big ones in there. Little does he know, that isn't true. I watched a 130's buck run out of there in 2013.

Nice! Lockdown...good to see people responding. 33% so far is not bad!
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Thu May 05, 2016 2:14 pm

Lockdown wrote:

I respect the landowners that allow me to hunt, but I ignore them when they say "there aren't any bucks here" or "no big bucks" etc. Now, on the other hand, if they say they've been seeing a good one, my ears perk up.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Mibowfreak
500 Club

Unread postby Mibowfreak » Thu May 05, 2016 2:47 pm

Lockdown wrote:

Awesome man

seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Thu May 05, 2016 11:43 pm

I'll take a 33% success rate any day.

Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Fri May 06, 2016 1:48 am

seazofcheeze wrote:I'll take a 33% success rate any day.

That is a crazy high number that is sure to drop. I would guess my lifetime success rate at 5%. Hopefully I will get some more responses today. A few months ago I told my Dad I was knocking on 40 doors and expected to gain permission for 2 spots.

Including knocking on doors I have 1 definite yes out of 15. Can't hunt it during rut though.

mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Fri May 06, 2016 3:26 am

Just got more permission today. Not anything super BUT its another access point. I am say this season so far I am at only 1 no. And that was not even a no...it was check back later.
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Fri May 06, 2016 5:01 am

Lockdown wrote:
seazofcheeze wrote:I'll take a 33% success rate any day.

That is a crazy high number that is sure to drop. I would guess my lifetime success rate at 5%. Hopefully I will get some more responses today. A few months ago I told my Dad I was knocking on 40 doors and expected to gain permission for 2 spots.

Including knocking on doors I have 1 definite yes out of 15. Can't hunt it during rut though.

I think you're being very reasonable in your expectations. Before I got permission on my number 1 property. I was planning on a 5% success rate. That doesn't discourage me, just means I have to swing more to get the results I want. I look at hunting the same way. I expect my success rate to be around 5%, so I need to plan approximately 20 hunts per buck. If I want to shoot 3, I expect to put in around 60 hunts. If I can't make it out 60 times, I adjust my expectations accordingly. That's why I like beast tactics so much. If I can increase my odds to 6.6%, then I can expect to shoot a buck once every 15 hunts, or 3 bucks per 45 sits....45 seems much more attainable than 60. I'm rambling now, haha. Basically, keep after it and keep your expectations realistic and I'm sure you will pick up a few more places.

Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sat May 14, 2016 2:14 pm

This is proving to be quite interesting. Tomorrow will be two weeks since I mailed the letters, and I've only received 6 responses. That's not very good... only 25%. :think: I was expecting closer to half.

However, I do have 2 that gave me the green light. That equates to an 8.3% success rate, which I am satisfied with.

It's not impossible I get a straggler or two that answers on their own. I have a listed phone number for approximately half the 18 who haven't got back to me, and I will be contacting them randomly when I find time.

As for the remaining 22, I'm making plans (two different driving loops) to visit them soon.

For those who are still on the fence about requesting permission, I'm making this sound like a lot of work. Between cyber scouting and documenting info off the GIS sites, writing letters, and visiting in person, I'm guessing I'll have around 13-14 hours into it all said and done. Keep in mind I've got 53 names written down, and the time is spread out over MONTHS. Most of it is an hour here or there, and figures out to roughly 15 minutes per property.
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Mon May 23, 2016 12:05 am

1 more permission gained last night. Real nice lady. I think so far this season I am at 100%...one was a wait and talk to me later. But 0 no's.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”