Re-Use of bed Study

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

DaveT1963
500 Club

Re-Use of bed Study

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:40 am

I am curious if anyone has set up a camera on a "primary" bed and actually documented how often the same buck used that same bed? I am talking the black flash, set and leave it for a year kind of thing. If so, that would be valuable info. If not, that might be a great study to conduct?

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: Re-Use of bed Study

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:59 am

I would love to see some pics of the same thing. I have set cameras up on beds but unfortunately the buck that used the bed was killed by other hunters. For me to find a bed that a buck uses regularly and live an entire year is not probable. Most of the bucks I get on camera are killed by other hunters in fact.

Every few years I get pics of a smart old buck that lives to see 6.5. In fact I'm following one now. I almost killed him in 2014 but didn't get a clear shot at him. I have never found any of his sheds or where he actually beds. He covers at least 6 different properties that I know of and never presents a pattern for me to follow. He is still alive as we speak a neighbor just sent me a picture of him.

Another thing to note he has went downhill rather than ascend in antler size from 2014 to 2015. It is not often possible to keep good track of some bucks as they are on properties I can't go on. :think:
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:50 am

I have not done it... Would like to find a primary bed where I don't hunt to do it on, I have seen a few areas that almost always have a deer in them, but not always the same bed.

I got some pic's from one of the members that im sure is NOT primary, its in grass that would not be there late season in an open area in Michigan pressured land... Im not sure how long the camera was out, but it has pictures of 3 different bucks using the same bed. The biggest one is there the most often, and the smallest only once. The second smallest seems to be more dominant than the larger one, kicking him out... Bucks were bedded there: Oct 17, 22, 23, 25, 26, 28, 29, 31, and Nov. 5th
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:37 am

I think it would tough on public ground for sure. You don't want other hunters finding your camera/bed. That even holds true on the private properties I hunt. I don't want the other guys finding cameras and seeing what I'm up to. They also tend to traipse into the areas more when they find a camera.

That said if I had a good bed and was confident I could kill a buck out of it I would set a camera up on it for sure. How cool would it be to have the buck hanging and a picture of the buck in it's bed? I'm to the point in my hunting career that cameras set up and getting buck pictures is as much fun as killing the buck. I'm much older than most, so I'm sure some guys can't relate to this. It's all about the fun, is it not?
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
ozzz

Unread postby ozzz » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:04 am

dan wrote:I have not done it... Would like to find a primary bed where I don't hunt to do it on, I have seen a few areas that almost always have a deer in them, but not always the same bed.

I got some pic's from one of the members that im sure is NOT primary, its in grass that would not be there late season in an open area in Michigan pressured land... Im not sure how long the camera was out, but it has pictures of 3 different bucks using the same bed. The biggest one is there the most often, and the smallest only once. The second smallest seems to be more dominant than the larger one, kicking him out... Bucks were bedded there: Oct 17, 22, 23, 25, 26, 28, 29, 31, and Nov. 5th

That's pretty cool.

I wish I had one of those cell cams, I would be much more apt to do it then. Can't say I believe I have any spots that bucks bed on on that regular of a basis either though (that I know of).

It would even be cool to do in a doe family group bedding area.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
If it bleeds, we can kill it . . . .
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:06 am

I'd like to do it on a few beds I might not hunt. Whats better Intel than knowing when a buck beds where.

Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:28 am

dan wrote:I have not done it... Would like to find a primary bed where I don't hunt to do it on, I have seen a few areas that almost always have a deer in them, but not always the same bed.

Use one of Mario's Buck Beds - problem solved, no need to thank me :mrgreen: ;)
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:42 am

Edcyclopedia wrote:

Use one of Mario's Buck Beds - problem solved, no need to thank me :mrgreen: ;)

Brilliant, how come I can't think of stuff like that? I blaming age. ;) :lol:
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:50 am

That's awful big of Mario to volunteer like that :)

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:52 am

That is a great idea Ed! 8-)
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:16 pm

I keep mulling the idea of putting a cell camera right on a bedding area...found 3 beds in it. I know a 6.5 yr old is using it. (if he is alive) he will be 7.5 this year. I could be wrong on age...but at any rate, is a brute. I believe got the same buck on cam in 2013 as a 3.5. Got daylight of this buck in this area this year. Never hunted him.

There is an apple orchard back right on the edge of bedding. Big primary ground scrape that opens each year. I think it would cool to get buck using the bed, go in and try to kill him the day you see him in that bed.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:04 pm

Im really leaning more towards just studying the bedding habits of mature deer. All kinds of new research but very, very little on actually bedding

mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:07 pm

DaveT1963 wrote:Im really leaning more towards just studying the bedding habits of mature deer. All kinds of new research but very, very little on actually bedding

Its a lifelong endeavor.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:06 pm

mainebowhunter wrote:
DaveT1963 wrote:Im really leaning more towards just studying the bedding habits of mature deer. All kinds of new research but very, very little on actually bedding

Its a lifelong endeavor.

Eye witness accounts are not as trust worthy as believed. I take my notes on what I observe but I would actually like to see a telemetry study showing bedding preferences based on wind, repetition, age, etc...

Divergent
500 Club

Unread postby Divergent » Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:35 pm

I think someone on here bought a wireless camera back in the spring or summer. They posted a few pics from the bed, but I'm not sure how long they kept the camera at that location.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”