Bottom Land buck beds

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

jbone23

Bottom Land buck beds

Unread postby jbone23 » Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:27 am

Bout to start scouting hard for upcoming season. What experience have y'all had scouting/ finding buck beds in bottom land areas. I'm in southern Alabama. The area has tons of white oaks and lots of open wood areas with some thick stuff and some swamps. These areas were dry in early season found some buck sign in them but hunted oaks instead. Hunted them later in season as hunting pressure increased, but was always covered in hogs. During winter this area floods a good bit and there is relatively no elevation change. What tactics do yall use for this and will bucks bed in the low areas along or in swamps with large amounts of hog traffic?

IkemanTx
500 Club

Re: Bottom Land buck beds

Unread postby IkemanTx » Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:30 am

I have a similar spot as well, except replace the white oaks with Bois' D'arcs. I have settled on just hunting the transition line from bottom to upland. The hogs are just destroying every good bedding area near water around here.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Go where none other dare to go, and there you'll find success.
Buckhunter

Unread postby Buckhunter » Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:30 am

Hate those hogs. Have the same problem down here.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:43 am

I don't know much about hogs but every time I point someone towards buck bedding down that way I hear about hogs taking over... I would still point you towards the swamps, but the bucks might be bedding in spots surrounded by water, unless the hogs go thru the water?
jbone23

Unread postby jbone23 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:03 am

dan wrote:I don't know much about hogs but every time I point someone towards buck bedding down that way I hear about hogs taking over... I would still point you towards the swamps, but the bucks might be bedding in spots surrounded by water, unless the hogs go thru the water?

I am no biologist but would definitely say that hogs are easily just as comfortable if not way more comfortable than deer in water situations. Have seen them cross huge rivers and live in areas with less than an acre of hard ground. Going to scout this coming weekend to try and sniff out some high ground in these swamps. If I find anything interesting will try and take pics. When the swamps were dry in first half of season they had lots of buck sign. Didn't scout as hard in later half of season but found tons of hog sign around em.
Buckshot20
500 Club

Unread postby Buckshot20 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:33 am

I've seen hogs and deer use the same things. Remember pigs don't sweat so they will always be near water to regulate body temps. Personally I have pics of deer and hogs in the same frame. I've watched them eat under the same oaks. They bed in the same spots as bucks but just off in the mud, they just leave way more sign. My suggestion is if you don't want to shoot the pig throw your water bottle at them and they will leave. The day I killed my best Florida buck I saw a spike and 2 different hogs feed through palmettos before the big buck came through. All came from the same spot

[ Post made via Android ] Image
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:54 am

They co-exist but his run deer out of perferred bedding.... If the hogs want it they take it.

Buckshot20
500 Club

Unread postby Buckshot20 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:20 am

But it seems the hogs will lay in the mud and water. Not so much the high ground. If they do bump a buck he would only go to a satellite bed near by and use the same staging area. I've seen them coexist in very tight quarters. I agree I don't think bucks love it but depending on the pig numbers they may have no choice. I will say as a disclaimer most of my observations come from when it it extremely hot. 90's so it may change as temps cool off and the pigs don't need as much water to regulate body temps

Hooks1

Unread postby Hooks1 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:07 pm

DaveT1963 wrote:They co-exist but his run deer out of perferred bedding.... If the hogs want it they take it.

Agree, having 60 years of experience with this in Louisiana and the last 20 years of the hog population explosion making it much worse.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”