Mark Dury podcast on weather patterns

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mainebowhunter
500 Club

Mark Dury podcast on weather patterns

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:18 pm

Thought this was super interesting podcast. Really kind made me think a bit more about fronts and patterns.
http://wiredtohunt.com/2015/07/09/the-wired-to-hunt-podcast-episode-63-how-to-predict-deer-movement-wmark-drury/

mike_mc
500 Club

Re: Mark Dury podcast on weather patterns

Unread postby mike_mc » Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:05 pm

Here's a thread about the podcast.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=30835&hilit=drury
Buckhunter

Unread postby Buckhunter » Sat Feb 13, 2016 2:42 am

I also listened to this one, very interesting stuff.
kripp53

Unread postby kripp53 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:14 am

I also thought that was a great podcast, took bunch of notes. However, after you listen to the podcast with Wildlife Biologist Matt Ross, scientifically there is no correlation to deer movement regarding weather or moon patterns :think: Kind of opposite of what hunters (like Mark Drury) think. According to studies weather does not effect the movement of deer(you can argue how accurate these studies are and correlation does not always mean causation)! That made me second guess everything I've ever heard.

http://wiredtohunt.com/2015/10/29/wired-to-hunt-podcast-78-the-science-of-the-whitetail-rut-wmatt-ross/
kripp53

Unread postby kripp53 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:23 am

Here is another interesting article by PennState with regard to the heat wave during the 2015 rut and how that effected buck movement. Still no conclusive evidence to say yay or nay.

http://ecosystems.psu.edu/research/projects/deer/news/2016/whether-it2019s-weather
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:23 am

kripp53 wrote:I also thought that was a great podcast, took bunch of notes. However, after you listen to the podcast with Wildlife Biologist Matt Ross, scientifically there is no correlation to deer movement regarding weather or moon patterns :think: Kind of opposite of what hunters (like Mark Drury) think. According to studies weather does not effect the movement of deer(you can argue how accurate these studies are and correlation does not always mean causation)! That made me second guess everything I've ever heard.

http://wiredtohunt.com/2015/10/29/wired-to-hunt-podcast-78-the-science-of-the-whitetail-rut-wmatt-ross/

Yea that is a big problem with communicating scientific fact. One of the reasons you see a lot of science bashed in news outlets these days. The scientific method is to "prove" things without a shadow of a doubt, or at least to a very high level of significance (don't ask - statistics). When a person looks at ANY complex animal behavior that is very hard to do. Think of all the variables!

In this instance, researchers tried to prove a correlation between weather and deer movement. They couldn't find it, probably because there are SO many variables they couldn't "prove" anything.[glow=red]Note they did NOT prove a correlation didn't exist - they just couldn't find it.[/glow] Just about every deer hunter in the country knows weather affects deer movement. I know it without a shadow of a doubt, but I couldn't mathematically prove it, just like these researchers couldn't prove it.

Anyway, the Mark Dury podcast was a good one. Gave me more respect for the guy as a hunter. Enough things to think about to make your head explode.
kripp53

Unread postby kripp53 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:27 am

I agree with you 100% JoeRE. Whether it's hot, cold, snowing, sunny you can't kill 'em unless your in the woods!
tbunao
500 Club

Unread postby tbunao » Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:44 am

JoeRE wrote:
kripp53 wrote:I also thought that was a great podcast, took bunch of notes. However, after you listen to the podcast with Wildlife Biologist Matt Ross, scientifically there is no correlation to deer movement regarding weather or moon patterns :think: Kind of opposite of what hunters (like Mark Drury) think. According to studies weather does not effect the movement of deer(you can argue how accurate these studies are and correlation does not always mean causation)! That made me second guess everything I've ever heard.

Yea that is a big problem with communicating scientific fact. One of the reasons you see a lot of science bashed in news outlets these days. The scientific method is to "prove" things without a shadow of a doubt, or at least to a very high level of significance (don't ask - statistics). When a person looks at ANY complex animal behavior that is very hard to do. Think of all the variables!

In this instance, researchers tried to prove a correlation between weather and deer movement. They couldn't find it, probably because there are SO many variables they couldn't "prove" anything.[glow=red]Note they did NOT prove a correlation didn't exist - they just couldn't find it.[/glow] Just about every deer hunter in the country knows weather affects deer movement. I know it without a shadow of a doubt, but I couldn't mathematically prove it, just like these researchers couldn't prove it.

Anyway, the Mark Dury podcast was a good one. Gave me more respect for the guy as a hunter. Enough things to think about to make your head explode.

Well put joe. I completely agree

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:39 am

JoeRE wrote:

No kidding. I just listened to the other podcast while I was working. We as deer hunters definitely do not like to keep things simple thats for sure. Thermal tunnels, barometric pressure, wind direction, thermals, moon overhead, moon underfoot, cold front, warm front, high pressure, overcast, windy, lack of wind...I think I have figured out I could hunt about 2 days a year. :shock:

Honestly, overcast days have ALWAYS been my best for killing good bucks. Sometimes drizzle, sometimes no drizzle, sometimes rain...foggy, warm October days have been very good to me. Both bucks this year were on overcast days. But Mark Drury says he does not do well on overcast days. Makes me scratch my head sometimes I know that.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”