Gathering good intel

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

oldrank

Gathering good intel

Unread postby oldrank » Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:25 am

As I go into my 3rd full dedicated Beast season a few points n details are becoming crystal clear to me. As usual alot of things can go in one ear and out the other with me. Until I experience them myself they probably wont soak in well. Im trying hard to change this.

We took a team of our managers n skilled labor from work the other day and we went to a team work work shop. They locked us in a room with 25 puzzles. All the answers to each puzzle was layed out some where in the room and the object of the game was to solve all the puzzles n get out in less then 75 minutes. We came up 2 short. Our office personnel was lost.. Our process engineers excelled. They were used to trouble shooting under pressure n it showed.

My point of all of this is even though the answers were right in front of us if the details were missed or over looked the puzzle was failed.

Now transfer this to buck hunting. Talking with some of the guys on the sight (probably to the point of annoyance sometimes) and seeing how they prepare and the details they pay attention to its not a fluke at all they fill tags on big bucks. The Michigan workshop also showed the same. Dan shows the same.

If you hunt 1.5 yr old buck sign thats what ur gonna kill. If you hunt 2.5 yr old buck sign thats what ur gonna kill. If you want big bucks you gotta hunt big bucks.. Going into season 3 im not hunting anything else. Paying attention to the puzzle in front of me..the answer is there.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Lockdown

Re: Gathering good intel

Unread postby Lockdown » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:46 pm

Good post

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:02 pm

I think my major points I was trying to get across are for some of the first yr Beast guys.
1. Listen to what the guys on here say.. If u try n take a short cut its only gonna lead u back to the fact that you should have did it the right way to begin with.

2. Pay attention 2 big buck sign n the small clues he gives. If you set up on small rubs n small scrapes in small buck areas ur gonna kill small bucks.

3. Gather big buck intel.. Use cameras, scout hard. If you think u dont feel u scouted enough u probably didn't. Every year I leave holes in my game but I really shouldn't because its all laid out here... Just pay close attention.

Last edited by oldrank on Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
venisonassassin
500 Club

Unread postby venisonassassin » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:05 pm

Perhaps the Beast has helped you shorten your learning curve. Ive been hunting for well over 20 seasons and still have a lot to learn. Don't get me wrong, I get on nice bucks most years. Just learn new things all the time.
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:06 pm

venisonassassin wrote:Perhaps the Beast has helped you shorten your learning curve. Ive been hunting for well over 20 seasons and still have a lot to learn. Don't get me wrong, I get on nice bucks most years. Just learn new things all the time.

I believe it has. Substantially.

venisonassassin
500 Club

Unread postby venisonassassin » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:10 pm

8-)
oldrank wrote:
venisonassassin wrote:Perhaps the Beast has helped you shorten your learning curve. Ive been hunting for well over 20 seasons and still have a lot to learn. Don't get me wrong, I get on nice bucks most years. Just learn new things all the time.

I believe it has. Substantially.

rbuckleyjr1
500 Club

Unread postby rbuckleyjr1 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:06 pm

That post is spot on. The smallest details can be the difference in success or failure.
DeerDylan
500 Club

Unread postby DeerDylan » Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:20 pm

I like your style oldrank, good post.

I'm working on the same stuff actually.

Mibowfreak
500 Club

Unread postby Mibowfreak » Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:13 am

Great post Oldrank. I like the way you think. I was already motivated this season, but after reading this, it has me even more motivated.

I was taught at a very young age that you don't take short cuts, you don't take hand outs, and you work hard for what you want. With Beast style of hunting, this plays right into it.

I have only been around the Beast for a short amount of time now, but I always think about how this great information is out there for everyone to read and use. You would think that there is guys everywhere putting this stuff to use. But, at the end of the day they just don't want to put the time and work into. Bummer for them!!
whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:50 am

Great post Shad.

oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:50 am

DeerDylan wrote:I like your style oldrank, good post.

I'm working on the same stuff actually.

I can see that Dylan.. I see the stages guys come in here at. Some are level one guys who are young or just started hunting... Some are level 2 guys who have had alot of success but not on mature bucks.. Then there r the guys getting it done yr in and yr out. I think a good group of guys r gonna move out of the level 2 real soon.. I see alot if guys working hard.

dirt nap giver

Unread postby dirt nap giver » Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:05 am

One of the little things that has made a big difference for me is bringing a hard copy with me scouting. I don't bring it with me every time, but if I initially scout a spot that I think is worthy of picking it apart and setting a kill tree, I will bring a clip board, hard copy aerial(winter image) and a few different colored markers.
I mark it up as much as I can.
There is something very intimate, or etching with my brain that helps me with the details and remembering them. I can do some on the computer or phone, but the physical action of working with a hard copy works best for me.

Could be my learning style too, but with so many details and tactics to work with, being able to look at all the personalized info from above is great
Good post by the way.
hard work trumps talent, when talent fails to work hard
Zona
500 Club

Unread postby Zona » Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:11 am

Shad, good post. I would like to add, don't worry about how many beds or spots you have. Take each one and break it down. I am guilty of scouting too many spots and not getting any of them right. Quality scouting over quantity when you're starting up the the beast ladder is a part of the foundation for success imo.

Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:11 am

Focusing on the details has really helped me in my hunting. As an engineer I've always been fairly detail oriented, but really hammering home the point in my hunting has made a huge difference.

My scouting in particular has become less wandering and much more focused. The point about marking up the maps in the field is great too. I use my phone to take georeferenced pics and way points, but same general idea. I have also found myself talking out loud while scouting trying to figure out the puzzle. Just the other day I followed a transition and found a pocket of rubs that looked like it could be a staging area and basically turned into a bird dog talking out loud to myself about where the buck may be coming from until I honed in on the exact bed. A few years ago I'd have probably just noted the rubs and moved along the transition. That extra 15 minutes of thought out walking gave me most of the puzzle pieces I need for that set.
whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:21 am

dirt nap giver wrote:One of the little things that has made a big difference for me is bringing a hard copy with me scouting. I don't bring it with me every time, but if I initially scout a spot that I think is worthy of picking it apart and setting a kill tree, I will bring a clip board, hard copy aerial(winter image) and a few different colored markers.
I mark it up as much as I can.
There is something very intimate, or etching with my brain that helps me with the details and remembering them. I can do some on the computer or phone, but the physical action of working with a hard copy works best for me.

Could be my learning style too, but with so many details and tactics to work with, being able to look at all the personalized info from above is great
Good post by the way.

I have folders designated for each piece I hunt, marked up aerials, also non marked ones. Notes, findings etc. It helps me see it and interpret it, then once I go back and read my notes and match up with my markings it paints the bigger picture for me.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”