Interesting thing about the beast...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mainebowhunter
500 Club

Interesting thing about the beast...

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:55 am

As I have spent more time here, it is really funny, you guys are writing about what many of us do here in the Northeast. Its never made sense to me, how come guys in the midwest where not just slamming deer on a regular basis. Bunch of us hunt midwest every year. As a group, we knock on doors, hunt both publc/private and do really well during the rut in the midwest. What I think is funny, most guys in Northeast think shooting bucks in the midwest is like shooting fish in a barrel. AND most of these northeast guys have never been and tried it. The holy grail here is tracking deer here on the snow with a Remington 7600.

Then I came to this forum...and guys ARE smacking down good deer on a regular basis. Its not about food plots, its not about sanctuaries, dodads/gadets or high dollar properties. Its about hard work. Its about woodsmanship skills. Its about getting in the timber and figuring out the "why". Definitely not the same stuff you read in magazines or see on TV shows.

You guys need to be a bit more quiet about your methods..lol. Your letting the cat out of the bag!!

Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Re: Interesting thing about the beast...

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:02 am

mainebowhunter wrote:As I have spent more time here, it is really funny, you guys are writing about what many of us do here in the Northeast. Its never made sense to me, how come guys in the midwest where not just slamming deer on a regular basis. Bunch of us hunt midwest every year. As a group, we knock on doors, hunt both publc/private and do really well during the rut in the midwest. What I think is funny, most guys in Northeast think shooting bucks in the midwest is like shooting fish in a barrel. AND most of these northeast guys have never been and tried it. The holy grail here is tracking deer here on the snow with a Remington 7600.

Then I came to this forum...and guys ARE smacking down good deer on a regular basis. Its not about food plots, its not about sanctuaries, dodads/gadets or high dollar properties. Its about hard work. Its about woodsmanship skills. Its about getting in the timber and figuring out the "why". Definitely not the same stuff you read in magazines or see on TV shows.

You guys need to be a bit more quiet about your methods..lol. Your letting the cat out of the bag!!

Most hunters can't or are unwilling to put in the required effort. The "secret" is pretty universal and applies to all things in life.

Bob

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:04 am

That's why our deer numbers are way down in WI. With the huge numbers of Beast members in the state there are some very efficient buck killers out there. :mrgreen:
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:08 am

I've heard it alot from other hunters. "I don't have any good land " or " there are no big bucks around here ". They are out there for anyone wanting to work for them. Whether its working your but off to save money to buy land, or working your but off knocking on doors, or working your but off on public land. Eventually its gonna come down to hard work unless your a millionaire.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
dirt nap giver

Unread postby dirt nap giver » Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:36 am

I have a younger guy be taken under my wing that is all about me doing everything for him. I asked him last year if he wanted
Me to tie the dang deer to the tree so he could just walk out there band shoot it.
Convincing this guy that it boils down to hard work is gonna be a challenge.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
hard work trumps talent, when talent fails to work hard
Bayshorebuck8
500 Club

Unread postby Bayshorebuck8 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:24 am

Your more than welcome to come to michigan and try your luck.

whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:25 am

Do you mind sharing some of your kills mainebowhunter?

checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:03 am

Most hunters can't or are unwilling to put in the required effort. The "secret" is pretty universal and applies to all things in life.

Bob

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

Every successful hunter I see doing well on public, and not just getting lucky, do so by hard work. I'll research wmas on the net on local forums and come across hunting articles about this guy killing a big buck or reading books on killing bucks esp public land hunting and the one ingredient I see come up is hard work by scouting.

This universal secret holds true in all things. Sure there's exceptions...someone inheriting a family fortune for example. But i look at all successful people and they work hard. Even people with God given talent has to work at it. For example look at Tiger Woods...he dominated golf for a while...think he just sat around?

When I look at the beast I see a group of guys that put in the effort and in return kill big bucks. I may never be as half as good as some of you guys but no doubt about it the more work I put in scouting and learning the more successful I'll be...just as in anything.

mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:35 am

WA -- sure....here are a few...

Here is KS this year.

Here is Maine

KS 2014

NE 2013

KS 2013
Last edited by mainebowhunter on Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:40 am

You are a bad man.

Nice bucks.

Agree with your OP as well.

No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:48 am

The reason I like this place? The guys on here are the real deal. When I took at look at the 2015 kill thread...it just goes on and on. Read some of the hunting journals. Listened to a bunch of the podcasts. Just real stuff.

A lot of guys on here have accomplished way way more than I thats for sure. Just great to share and be part of all of this!
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:03 pm

Bayshorebuck8 wrote:Your more than welcome to come to michigan and try your luck.

LOL...I am all set thanks. When I think of the midwest, MI is not really one of the places I think of.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:04 pm

Yea this forum is incredible. Amazing collection of hard core hunters! The 2015 buck lineup is probably the best to date

Great bucks by the way 8-)
Buckshot20
500 Club

Unread postby Buckshot20 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:07 pm

That's a pretty nice collection right there

mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:12 pm

JoeRE wrote:Yea this forum is incredible. Amazing collection of hard core hunters! The 2015 buck lineup is probably the best to date

Great bucks by the way 8-)

And Joe...your journal was my fav so far! Really enjoyed that read.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”