Winter Scouting

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

minnesotahunter
Facebook: No Facebook

Winter Scouting

Unread postby minnesotahunter » Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:48 pm

Hey guys I was wondering if some of you could share your winter scouting tactics. What do you look for specifically when scouting large chunks of big woods? I have a 5 square mile area of state land that I've hunted for 2 years but haven't tracked down a mature buck. I'll be able to be much more mobile this year. I've stuck mainly to the edges of the land because agriculture/food seems logical. After becoming obsessed with beast post's and advice I'm realizing that logical will get you a doe or a small buck. What should I look for and what should I avoid? Thanks in advance for the tips.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

"If you consider an unsuccessful hunt to be a waste of time, then the true meaning of the chase eludes you all together"
Lockdown

Re: Winter Scouting

Unread postby Lockdown » Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:25 pm

MNHunter, here's a similar thread

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34351
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:01 pm

minnesotahunter wrote:Hey guys I was wondering if some of you could share your winter scouting tactics. What do you look for specifically when scouting large chunks of big woods? I have a 5 square mile area of state land that I've hunted for 2 years but haven't tracked down a mature buck. I'll be able to be much more mobile this year. I've stuck mainly to the edges of the land because agriculture/food seems logical. After becoming obsessed with beast post's and advice I'm realizing that logical will get you a doe or a small buck. What should I look for and what should I avoid? Thanks in advance for the tips.

Hunt a lot of those areas here in Northeast. Don't want to overstate the obvious ...BUT... Any idea if there are big bucks around in any kind of numbers? Observe any big bucks on the food sources in the summer? Find any sign that would indicate big bucks are using this spot? Curious...do you run any trail cams?

You can spend a lot of time looking for something that is not there.
Zona
500 Club

Unread postby Zona » Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:34 am

I used trail cams last year to identify areas that had good bucks. This year I am dissecting the same areas to hopefully pin them down.

minnesotahunter
Facebook: No Facebook

Unread postby minnesotahunter » Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:31 am

Thanks for the link

"If you consider an unsuccessful hunt to be a waste of time, then the true meaning of the chase eludes you all together"
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:33 am

Look for low swampy areas, and leeward ridges...
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:12 am

mainebowhunter wrote:
minnesotahunter wrote:Hey guys I was wondering if some of you could share your winter scouting tactics. What do you look for specifically when scouting large chunks of big woods? I have a 5 square mile area of state land that I've hunted for 2 years but haven't tracked down a mature buck. I'll be able to be much more mobile this year. I've stuck mainly to the edges of the land because agriculture/food seems logical. After becoming obsessed with beast post's and advice I'm realizing that logical will get you a doe or a small buck. What should I look for and what should I avoid? Thanks in advance for the tips.

Hunt a lot of those areas here in Northeast. Don't want to overstate the obvious ...BUT... Any idea if there are big bucks around in any kind of numbers? Observe any big bucks on the food sources in the summer? Find any sign that would indicate big bucks are using this spot? Curious...do you run any trail cams?

You can spend a lot of time looking for something that is not there.

This is very true and you need to keep it in mind.

Bob

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”