Who loves Late Season?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Dor
500 Club
Facebook: Chris Dornack

Who loves Late Season?

Unread postby Dor » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:09 pm

Probably my favorite time of the year to hunt. The solitude and the battle of you against the bitter cold. I love everything about hunting over snow and having sub zero temps.

I'm making up a special dozen cedar arrows right now to use in an attempt to fill my last doe tags. I cant wait for December! :D
I will post an album of arrow building in another post in the appropriate forum.

Call The Footed Shaft to order Kwik-Straps 507-288-7581 or order at the kwik-strap.com
Swampthing
500 Club

Re: Who loves Late Season?

Unread postby Swampthing » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:39 pm

I love the late season ,I told myself last year that I would,nt hunt until late season came around,but that don,t work .But I,m sure glad it,s finally here.
No ORANGE,no people,plenty of snow .
solocam88
500 Club

Unread postby solocam88 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:54 pm

Late season bowhunting is awesome. 8-)
Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:10 pm

I have never hunted the late season :o This year I really want to give it a try!! Any tips for hunting the late season other than plenty layers of clothes and hunt near a food source?
Dor
500 Club
Facebook: Chris Dornack

Unread postby Dor » Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:39 am

heat packs are huge, and avoid the crunch if possible, but if its cold enough even that wont matter

Call The Footed Shaft to order Kwik-Straps 507-288-7581 or order at the kwik-strap.com
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:39 am

Food source is king. A lot of times I will place cameras near food sources and back track a buck back to know his bedding area. Sometimes bedding is only 100 yards away, others can be half mile plus. Stand will be placed as needed. Hunting from the ground in snow camo is believe it or not, will work wonders. Deer seem to look right thru you. Many times had deer, bucks included with in 10 yards and look right thru you and continue on.

The storm fronts and around Christmas time will have bucks on their feet early and one may be able to hunt right at the food source. Afternoon hunts are about all I do. Sometimes that means as soon as noon.....deer will move early if not pressured and a front is moving in.

My biggest problem is shed bucks. Chasing a nice 10 one year and he shed already by Dec 6th. Others may drop by Christmas......but with the wet weather we had in our area this year I suspect the "horns" will stick a little awhile longer. Stress is another factor affecting antler drop and that may or may not have them dropping early. Time will tell.
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:12 am

I like late season, though it seems very hard for me to get on good bucks. I know they are there, they just don't move much in daylight after the gun seasons are over here in WI. I good cold snap with lots of snow seems to give me the best shot.
huntinfool14
500 Club

Unread postby huntinfool14 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:53 am

late season for me is my favorite! if you got the food..you got the deer! id rather take the late season ANY day over the rut...
lungbuster
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/WFTF

Unread postby lungbuster » Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:16 am

Any day below 10 degrees with some fresh snow usually gets the deer moving.......My abosulte favorite time to hunt is the very first snow of the year that sticks.....seems the deer don't realize they can't hide as well and the stick out like sore thumbs the first day or so. 8-)
Indianahunter
500 Club

Unread postby Indianahunter » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:35 am

I always go, but I have never killed a deer in December or January.
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:16 am

I honestly don't care for late season hunting because of the bitter cold temps. I love hunting In the snow but the sub zero temps suck when pulling back a 60 pound recurve with a crap load of clothing on. Funny thing Is though It's usually when I get my deer. lol!! The coldest I've ever shot a deer was 2 years ago on the last day and hour of the deer season. It was minus 18 below with a 15 mph wind. My fingers were numb after I released the arrow being I was excited I ended the season with a deer and forgot to put on my mittens after the shot. Hard on bare hands. ;)
publiclandhunter
500 Club

Unread postby publiclandhunter » Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:18 am

I love the late season due to low/no hunter competition, possible snow and hungry bucks that may be back on their feet in a huntable pattern. I also like the quietness of the woods...I use my ears a ton to tell me what is about to happen.

Good luck to the late season Guru's!

PLH
Go farther, stay longer.........hunt harder.
BowtechHunting
500 Club
Facebook: Don't have one...

Unread postby BowtechHunting » Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:50 am

The Late Season-

To me the late season is where it's at! Don't get me wrong, the pre-rut and rut is fine, but the post-rut/late season is just something about it for me. Usually that's when everyone has hung up there rifles and put the camo up for the year and I'm just getting warmed-up! Mid-December and early January...colder and snow!
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:54 am

Dor wrote:Probably my favorite time of the year to hunt. The solitude and the battle of you against the bitter cold. I love everything about hunting over snow and having sub zero temps.

I couldn't have said it any better!!
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:32 am

Late season is a great time to get it done... The bad thing about late season is the short days and finding enough time to hunt, especially week days after work.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”