Late Rut Strategy?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mattyq2402

Late Rut Strategy?

Unread postby mattyq2402 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:26 am

I've hunted last two seasons in SE Ohio from November 5-11. I've discovered tons of hunting pressure and only one solid mature deer but wasn't in range. The farms I hunt are hills with hardwoods. I saw plenty of smaller bucks this past last trip and found they were coming from all directions. Does anyone ever plan there hunts 2-3rd week rather than first two, is your strategy the same as farm as hunting topography?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

iowa whitetail
500 Club

Re: Late Rut Strategy?

Unread postby iowa whitetail » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:32 am

I think that different farms are better at different stages of the rut, this might be a 3rd week farm. Ive found the 3rd week can be really good cause bucks from all around come in in search of the last doe.
mattyq2402

Unread postby mattyq2402 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:34 pm

That's kind of why I'm looking at 3rd week,read Jeff Sturgis new book and he seems to like that week for wanderers showing up. Ohio BBC staff member told me majority of the top end 160+ are taken second half of November. Number wise more bucks are taken during first two weeks, I imagine due to the high hunting pressure. Do u all still see bucks on foot during all hours or do u change up from all day sits?

iowa whitetail
500 Club

Unread postby iowa whitetail » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:50 pm

mattyq2402 wrote:That's kind of why I'm looking at 3rd week,read Jeff Sturgis new book and he seems to like that week for wanderers showing up. Ohio BBC staff member told me majority of the top end 160+ are taken second half of November. Number wise more bucks are taken during first two weeks, I imagine due to the high hunting pressure. Do u all still see bucks on foot during all hours or do u change up from all day sits?

I dont hunt all day sits the 3rd week in. Seems movement all day is down at that point. Mornings seem to be the best,but evenings should not be missed!
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:05 pm

Yea find the major doe concentrations and you often find the biggest oldest bucks in the background around them looking for late hot does. They are not cruising, just keeping tabs on them. Its actually a bit similar to the late pre-rut in that regard except the doe groups are in different spots more concentrated around the biggest food sources food late November than late October.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”