marshes and swamps

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dannyboy

marshes and swamps

Unread postby dannyboy » Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:40 am

Dan, what would you say are the main differences between a marsh and a swamp

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: marshes and swamps

Unread postby dan » Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:20 am

dannyboy wrote:Dan, what would you say are the main differences between a marsh and a swamp

A marsh in my opinion is a type of swamp... Swamps are wet areas. They can vary in type, from dogwood, to tammerack, tag alder, etc...

I separate the two for video purpose cause cattail Marsh is so easy to read and hunt that its a very good starting point for people.

Bucks bed in the same locations based on terrain, but they are much easier to find and see in a marsh.
Buckshot20
500 Club

Unread postby Buckshot20 » Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:34 am

A marsh in my opinion is a type of swamp... Swamps are wet areas. They can vary in type, from dogwood, to tammerack, tag alder, etc...

This makes a lot of sense just harder to read on a map

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Bayshorebuck8
500 Club

Unread postby Bayshorebuck8 » Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:28 pm

Well said dan.

Ryan
500 Club

Unread postby Ryan » Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:46 pm

dan wrote:
dannyboy wrote:Dan, what would you say are the main differences between a marsh and a swamp

I separate the two for video purpose cause cattail Marsh is so easy to read and hunt that its a very good starting point for people.

Bucks bed in the same locations based on terrain, but they are much easier to find and see in a marsh.

Dan do you know if deer use saltwater marshes the same as regular cattail?

mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:46 am

I'm not Dan...but I'd venture to say to a certain extent yes. Deer need fresh water and a food supply...but the same tactics will apply I bet...edges and isolated high and dry pockets...

When is drum and flounder fish I fished near a lot of salt water marshes...you wouldn't believe the number of coon I'd see..basically miles from land...coon and nutria where everywhere... I'd bet deer are out there too...if they can find a high dry bed...

In NC on the coast where I've experienced some salt water marshes habitat anyways I bet they do...hard for even a pack of dogs to go out there and run them...stand hunting down there was virtually unheard of...if they did it was over bait..beast tactics could probably shine down there...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”