Tales of a Greenhorn

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

wickedbruiser
500 Club

Re: Tales of a Greenhorn

Unread postby wickedbruiser » Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:34 am

Awesome reads. Humble, the will to learn, dedication. More please!

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Lastcast#1

Unread postby Lastcast#1 » Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:36 am

Thanks Uncle Lou. My intention is really not to tell a story about myself, although I realize it certainly is.

Hopefully it will be interpreted as a Giant thankyou to the Beast and all of its members for helping me me begin my hunting career on the the right track from the very beginning. Maybe also jog some memories from the ultra experienced guys on here and how they began their journeys as well.

Regards
Chad

Bayshorebuck8
500 Club

Unread postby Bayshorebuck8 » Sat Jan 30, 2016 6:43 am

Good luck in your endevours chad. Welcome to the beast.

Lastcast#1

Unread postby Lastcast#1 » Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:02 am

Scouting, finding places to hunt, what time to hunt it, entry, exit, which spots are pressured the least, when do they receive the most pressure ?How are other hunters accessing the property. Whos baiting , where are they baiting, is this a gun season stand I am looking at? Is this an over looked spot? What wind should this spot be hunted on? Will thermals play a roll. Thermals....I hear a lot about those on here. Due to a lifetime of sailing the wind aspect of hunting was not such a mystery to me. I understand how land and wind interact. How the temperature gradient between land and water influences wind direction and velocity. How elevation plays a roll. Basically how the local cracker jack box wind forecast is really meaning less relative to your hunting location. Major advantage if your just starting out. Imagine that, the sport of sailing helping out the hunter. How do I get away from these guys? Does this property get hit by small game hunters? On and on and on.

So yeah, I considered all of these variables during my first scouting season..Now that doesnt mean I understood at the time how they all come together, but I tried to be thorough none the less.

This is a good spot to hold up and mention the goals I had set for myself.

1. Learn. Put in the effort. Try to have as many encounters with deer as possible while in the tree. I decided from the very beginning that my first deer was going to come from public land. Doe, buck, doesnt matter. Here at home the only guide lines I set were the ones that felt natural to me. I didnt feel I would want to shoot a small doe or a tiny buck. Antler size was and still is irrelevant. I was convinced that by passing deer early on,
I would learn more and push the learning curve. Make up for lost time, and maybe just maybe lead myself to more frequent success down the road.

Even though the beast is focused on mature buck hunting, and I am using the beast to build a foundation of knowledge in order to formulate my own style of hunting, I know I need to kill some deer. I dont believe I can read the intraweb and kill old deer in a place where they are far and few between to begin with. I do believe it can be done though. Proof is right here on this forum. I do believe the beast has influenced me to a degree where I may end up skipping some of the " stages" hunters go thru. For me I will just take a doe for the freezer. Shooting a buck just to shoot a buck , just does not resonate well with me personally.

Scouting , planning, practicing with your weapon, along with every other aspect of preparing to hunt , make up only part of the equation. Climbing a tree, drawing a bow undetected, and killing a deer is an entirely different set of circumstances.

Later on if anyone is still awake on here I will talk about some more of challenges that I faced ln preparing for the season that had nothing to do with scouting , like what set up I chose in order to be mobile , and how no matter what your plans were for the hunt, things change when your in the tree. In the tree is where my real education began.

The school of hard knocks, weary does, failed attempts of deception by other hunters, and missed opportunities on a couple bucks. Opportunities that if they occur again will hopefully result in dead deer.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”