Killing the "Unkillables"

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

rutjunkie

Re: Killing the "Unkillables"

Unread postby rutjunkie » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:04 am

I like how you all think! My only new suggestion would be to make the bed unusable,drag some brush into it. Make him bed somewhere where it is more advantageous to you.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

There is only so many Novembers in ones life, make the most of them.
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:15 am

You cant take advantage of morning thermals, he will be back in that bed before they kick in. My suggestion, ruin that bed now and forget about it.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:24 am

I borrowed a book from Hawthorne n it discusses the moons correlation to morning bedding. I need to dig in a little deeper. Its by Bill Vale. Might try that before I burn it. He talks about getting in super early.. The buck comes to the bed before dark but feels safe. However ive been in my tree already. He monitors the area n has false sense of security. If u link that with a mid day moon that cause the buck to rise he will feel secure moving in his safety zone.. N i kill him as he ventures a short distance to feed or scrape.. Hmmmmm

Ridgerunner7
500 Club

Unread postby Ridgerunner7 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:55 am

kenn1320 wrote:You cant take advantage of morning thermals, he will be back in that bed before they kick in. My suggestion, ruin that bed now and forget about it.

True, except for those short windows of opportunity that I mentioned. Mature bucks do like to bed down before daylight typically but they don't do that every day all season long. There are little windows of opportunity where they slip up and the times that I mentioned are a few of those examples.

whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:20 am

If the buck that beds here is what your after. Getting in early on days like RR7 mentioned and setting all day till he moves may pay off. Stacking the bed as well. Or as Dan and others suggested, go in with a gun and see if you can sneak in close enough to assassinate that bass terd :lol:

oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:33 am

When RR7 gives me advice I pay close attention...trust me on that

Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:06 pm

oldrank wrote:I borrowed a book from Hawthorne n it discusses the moons correlation to morning bedding. I need to dig in a little deeper. Its by Bill Vale. Might try that before I burn it. He talks about getting in super early.. The buck comes to the bed before dark but feels safe. However ive been in my tree already. He monitors the area n has false sense of security. If u link that with a mid day moon that cause the buck to rise he will feel secure moving in his safety zone.. N i kill him as he ventures a short distance to feed or scrape.. Hmmmmm

Yes. They get up often betweeen 11 and noon to do what they're gonna do. Good tactic to use in that late October early November period.

Justin85

Unread postby Justin85 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:08 pm

Got two of those type areas. One, I'm not sure where the other beds he would move to are.

The other could be stacked into a different bed, but it's highly unlikely that he'd ever be killed in bus primary bed due to its location and crazy advantages. Should have tried it this year.

Will be watching this thread.

Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:13 pm

I usually only hunt small private pieces. I don't have the luxury of stacking. I let the neighbors pressure stack my bedding areas and stay out of mine till late October.

Bowhunter4life
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunter4life » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:43 pm

RR7 nailed it. Use the weather to your advantage in that situation. I've had this pay off for me several times. Windy days or rain.

oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:56 pm

Here are some map pics of one of the exact areas. I know it has good buck beds in it. this one gets me with the swirl but is a great example of pretty much what I have to deal with. This area is 188 yrds long and 107 yrds wide according to google earth.

Red would be his bed. Green is where I set up and enter is dotted green. Just as in alot of these I cant crest the hill without him seeing me so I try and just hit where I can get a visual.
whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:35 pm

oldrank wrote:When RR7 gives me advice I pay close attention...trust me on that

That's for sure

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”